Apr 17, 2012, 8:25 PM EDT
He may be one step closer, but it’s a small step, and the fact that David Beckham’s in the picture for Team GB’s London Olympics’ entry will surprise nobody.
But with some critics still unduly concerned about his potential selection, it’s somewhat important to note that Team GB manager Stuart Pearce has Beckham on the 80-man list he’s compiled.
Other prominent names: Joe Cole (Lille/Liverpool), Craig Bellamy (Liverpool) and Gareth Bale (Tottenham).
Oliver Holt at the Mirror was the first with the story, but there’s a curious paragraph included:
[Beckham's] inclusion would be popular with fans but the fact that he is even being considered has been ridiculed by some critics who feel he does not deserve to be one of Pearce’s three permitted over-23 players.
It’s not a surprise that anything Beckham is going to be criticized, but as it concerned thie Team GB-thing, I thought we were past this point.
If healthy, Beckham is going to be on the team and not only because England wants him there. Can you imagine the outcry if he were omitted? He hasn’t played in England since spring 2003, but he’s still the country’s most popular player. Across the broad swath of the English public, he’s the one man they’d want to have one of Team GB’s overage spots.
And let’s not get so precious about these three spots. If people want to argue that he’s not the best player at Pearce’s disposal, it’s not only unclear if they’re right but it’s unclear if that’s even the point. Given Beckham would have gone to South Africa two years ago if he hadn’t torn his Achilles, is it really clear that he has fallen off so much that he can’t have a spot in a U-23 tournament? Even if he has, it’s difficult to begrudge Team GB using one of their spots as a lifetime achievement award.
Besides, it’s Team GB. It’s not like it’s a real thing. t’s a team that’s been created for one tournament. Don’t tell me we’re going to moralize about it.
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 1
- MLS Preview: Houston Dynamo at Montréal Impact 0
- USA can theoretically clinch a World Cup berth in their next match 3
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team 25
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (25)
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Serena Williams sorry after rape case comments
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public