Apr 17, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT
The mid-pack bunch (Nos. 12-7, counting down) in ProSoccerTalk’s weekly MLS quality rearrangement. (Part I, a.k.a. the “Money Shot” is on deck … ):
12. Chivas USA – MLS observers from coast to coast are scratching their heads over what to make of Robin Fraser’s men. They didn’t look terrible in all three home loses, but they have, in fact, lost all three home matches. That stinks. On the other hand, they are unbeaten and untied in three on the road, including last week’s 1-0 win at Toronto. So, what gives? Whatever you think of the wobbly season, props to goalkeeper Dan Kennedy, whose stellar work was big in Saturday’s win.
11. Los Angeles Galaxy – A win over Portland dragged the Galaxy off the bottom of the Western Conference standings. (Here’s video and breakdown of the win from former national teamer Cobi Jones.) This week’s trip into Colorado makes for a tougher test. Still, if David Beckham can hit a couple more like Saturday night’s beauty, things should be OK. (The giggle about it all, shared by Beckham himself, is that his poor first touch set up that mighty shot. At least he’s being honest.)
10. FC Dallas – The record looks OK, but Dallas keeps leaving it late. For the second consecutive week a hero turned up to knock in the late game-winner, this time over Montreal. Brek Shea scored his first of 2012, and his second half generally looked lively. So perhaps the young winger is shaking things loose after a few months where he seemed to have hit a plateau. Jackson, the utility knife now being recalled from his loan to Brazilian side Cruzeiro, may arrive later this week.
9. D.C. United – The injury bug is biting once again around RFK, and at a very bad time. Injuries to center backs Emiliano Dudar and Dejan Jakovic will force Ben Olsen to shuffle the back line. Perry Kitchen is one of the options to partner with Brandon McDonald in central defense, but it would be ashamed to yank him off defensive midfield duty when the second-year man is just settling into the position. On the other hand, Wednesday’s match at home against expansion Montreal means points can perhaps be had, even if the team isn’t at tip-top best.
8. Vancouver Whitecaps – Don’t come a knockin’ when BC Place is rockin’. Well, unless it’s to get a seat for Wednesday’s contest against undefeated, untied Sporting Kansas City. This could be the match that upsets SKC’s unblemished apple cart. It’s on artificial turf, and it follows a high-profile win Saturday for the visitors over Real Salt Lake. Plus, Vancouver is well-rested following a week off.
7. Colorado Rapids – Oscar Pareja’s team is smack in the middle of a tough stretch, coming off losses at Seattle and Real Salt Lake, and with the champions now coming in for a dust-up in Denver. The Rapids will hope to poke holes in the previously porous L.A. back line, one reinforced last week with David Junior Lopes’ arrival. For the contest, Pareja wants a little more want-to from his men. Meanwhile, Drew Moor was back in his old center back spot, looking confident and comfortable once again.
Aug 1, 2015, 1:50 PM EDT
Wenger has never beaten Mourinho before, but he’ll have a chance to do so tomorrow in the Community Shield.
Aug 1, 2015, 12:56 PM EDT
Rodgers better hope his “bargain” buy scores a lot of goals for Liverpool this season.
Aug 1, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Coming off of their best-ever Premier League finish, Garry Monk has the Swans thinking about bringing European football to Wales.
Aug 1, 2015, 11:04 AM EDT
He still played in Shakhtar’s Champions League match this week, which could cause his club some troubles.
Aug 1, 2015, 10:07 AM EDT
Is Dimitar Berbatov on his way back to the Premier League? All the latest gossip, right here.
Aug 1, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
In both of Watford’s two seasons in the Premier League, the club finished in last place. Can the newly promoted Hornets avoid relegation the third time around?
Aug 1, 2015, 8:15 AM EDT
A big blow for the Hammers as the Premier League kicks off a week from today.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:52 PM EDT
The leaked images of United’s kit were the real McCoy, and the Red Devils white-cuffed kits are pretty sharp.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:09 PM EDT
What’s 5,000 or so miles amongst fans?
Jul 31, 2015, 8:14 PM EDT
Guardiola can erase a minor Bayern demon with his first Super Cup win on Saturday versus Wolfsburg.
Jul 31, 2015, 7:08 PM EDT
In the PDL, Seattle Sounders U-23, New York Red Bulls U-23, K-W United and Ocala Stampede are left, while the NPSL has New York Cosmos B, Chattanooga FC, Indiana Fire and CD Aguiluchos USA remaining.
Jul 31, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
Arsenal looks to win its second-straight Community Shield, something that only Manchester United has been able to do since 2000.
Jul 31, 2015, 6:03 PM EDT
Dick Advocaat is hoping familiarity will combine with a couple buys to help Sunderland avoid a relegation fight for the 1st time in a while.
Jul 31, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
In a BBC feature, Bill Peterson makes it clear he thinks the desire for pro/rel is real.
Jul 31, 2015, 4:41 PM EDT
Johannsson had already said he wants to play Stateside in “his prime”, but a Yahoo Sports report said his desires have obstacles.
Jul 31, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT
The Lions will continue to play at the Citrus Bowl until the new venue is completed.
Jul 31, 2015, 3:16 PM EDT
Is this the case of a 33-year-old who’s over the hill, or can he return to the form which saw him score double-digit goals and assists?
Jul 31, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Will the Saints keep marching up the PL standings? Maybe a European campaign will derail their progress?
Jul 31, 2015, 1:18 PM EDT
After signing nine new players this summer, is Sherwood taking a gamble?
Jul 31, 2015, 12:40 PM EDT
Here’s the latest gossip from around the PL.
- Brendan Rodgers says $50 million for Christian Benteke was a bargain 0
- Saturday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Berbatov to Villa, Rahman to Chelsea 1
- Manchester United, adidas unveil kits with “smashing” photos 3
- Pep Guardiola on final year of contract: “Not completely convinced” he’s right for Bayern 1
- FA Community Shield preview: Will Arsenal or Chelsea claim the season’s first reward? 1
- Jose Mourinho issues Chelsea injury update; believes Arsenal can win Premier League 0