Apr 17, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT
The mid-pack bunch (Nos. 12-7, counting down) in ProSoccerTalk’s weekly MLS quality rearrangement. (Part I, a.k.a. the “Money Shot” is on deck … ):
12. Chivas USA – MLS observers from coast to coast are scratching their heads over what to make of Robin Fraser’s men. They didn’t look terrible in all three home loses, but they have, in fact, lost all three home matches. That stinks. On the other hand, they are unbeaten and untied in three on the road, including last week’s 1-0 win at Toronto. So, what gives? Whatever you think of the wobbly season, props to goalkeeper Dan Kennedy, whose stellar work was big in Saturday’s win.
11. Los Angeles Galaxy – A win over Portland dragged the Galaxy off the bottom of the Western Conference standings. (Here’s video and breakdown of the win from former national teamer Cobi Jones.) This week’s trip into Colorado makes for a tougher test. Still, if David Beckham can hit a couple more like Saturday night’s beauty, things should be OK. (The giggle about it all, shared by Beckham himself, is that his poor first touch set up that mighty shot. At least he’s being honest.)
10. FC Dallas – The record looks OK, but Dallas keeps leaving it late. For the second consecutive week a hero turned up to knock in the late game-winner, this time over Montreal. Brek Shea scored his first of 2012, and his second half generally looked lively. So perhaps the young winger is shaking things loose after a few months where he seemed to have hit a plateau. Jackson, the utility knife now being recalled from his loan to Brazilian side Cruzeiro, may arrive later this week.
9. D.C. United – The injury bug is biting once again around RFK, and at a very bad time. Injuries to center backs Emiliano Dudar and Dejan Jakovic will force Ben Olsen to shuffle the back line. Perry Kitchen is one of the options to partner with Brandon McDonald in central defense, but it would be ashamed to yank him off defensive midfield duty when the second-year man is just settling into the position. On the other hand, Wednesday’s match at home against expansion Montreal means points can perhaps be had, even if the team isn’t at tip-top best.
8. Vancouver Whitecaps – Don’t come a knockin’ when BC Place is rockin’. Well, unless it’s to get a seat for Wednesday’s contest against undefeated, untied Sporting Kansas City. This could be the match that upsets SKC’s unblemished apple cart. It’s on artificial turf, and it follows a high-profile win Saturday for the visitors over Real Salt Lake. Plus, Vancouver is well-rested following a week off.
7. Colorado Rapids – Oscar Pareja’s team is smack in the middle of a tough stretch, coming off losses at Seattle and Real Salt Lake, and with the champions now coming in for a dust-up in Denver. The Rapids will hope to poke holes in the previously porous L.A. back line, one reinforced last week with David Junior Lopes’ arrival. For the contest, Pareja wants a little more want-to from his men. Meanwhile, Drew Moor was back in his old center back spot, looking confident and comfortable once again.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:17 AM EDT
Previewing the last weekend of full-tilt MLS competition.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:06 PM EDT
Lille and Nigeria goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama thinks it would be dangerous to hold the Africa Cup of Nations with the Ebola outbreak.
Oct 23, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
Brazil’s national football team has a new code of conduct under manager Dunga.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
Wonderful touch and power utilized on a first-class goal from Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Erik Lamela.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
Harry Kane notched a hat trick in Tottenham’s Europa League victory over Asteras Tripoli, and he then found himself manning the goal as a netminder following a Hugo Lloris red card.
Oct 23, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Lille and Everton played to a 0-0 draw at Stade Pierre-Mauroy in Europa League group stage competition.
Oct 23, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
Manchester City’s Frank Lampard could be fit to play against West Ham in Premier League competition on Saturday.
Cristiano Ronaldo on El Clasico: ‘I won’t be playing against Messi. I’ll be playing against Barcelona.’
Oct 23, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
“I won’t be playing against Messi — I’ll be playing against Barcelona,” says Ronaldo, concerning his duel with Barcelona’s Lionel Messi.
Oct 23, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers likes what Mario Balotelli has to offer, but he’s unsure if the forward will last a while at Anfield.
Oct 23, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Will the Blues lose their first game of the season away at Old Trafford on Sunday? JPW and Prindi analyze that and more.
Oct 23, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Little Eddie won’t have a say in who he supports, but it’s all for a good cause.
Oct 23, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Free agent Valdes arrives to “train with the first team” at United.
Oct 23, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
Gulati: “Jurgen is our coach and technical director, and I fully expect that to be the case through to the 2018 World Cup.”
Oct 23, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
With Costa struggling to make the bench, plus Remy out, Chelsea are running out of strikers.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
Howard: “I know what he likes to do, but that doesn’t mean I will always be capable of stopping him.”
Oct 23, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
Atlanta Falcons owner urges Beckham to link up with Miami Dolphins to sort out MLS stadium mess.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:36 AM EDT
A gang of 100 local men reportedly ambushed Everton fans outside city center pub.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Will Saints swoop to sign former Liverpool star?
Oct 23, 2014, 8:34 AM EDT
Liverpool’s players react to Real Madrid humbling, as growing pains continue to spiral out of control.
Oct 23, 2014, 7:54 AM EDT
After two draws in October, the USA drops six places in latest world rankings.
- VIDEO: Can Manchester United beat Chelsea? PST Extra breaks it down 2
- MLS Atlanta urges David Beckham, Miami to share stadium with Dolphins 10
- Reality check: Outclassed by Real Madrid, what now for Liverpool? 0
- After winless October, USA drop out of top 20 in latest FIFA rankings 6
- PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum? 0
- It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14 0