Apr 17, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT
The mid-pack bunch (Nos. 12-7, counting down) in ProSoccerTalk’s weekly MLS quality rearrangement. (Part I, a.k.a. the “Money Shot” is on deck … ):
12. Chivas USA – MLS observers from coast to coast are scratching their heads over what to make of Robin Fraser’s men. They didn’t look terrible in all three home loses, but they have, in fact, lost all three home matches. That stinks. On the other hand, they are unbeaten and untied in three on the road, including last week’s 1-0 win at Toronto. So, what gives? Whatever you think of the wobbly season, props to goalkeeper Dan Kennedy, whose stellar work was big in Saturday’s win.
11. Los Angeles Galaxy – A win over Portland dragged the Galaxy off the bottom of the Western Conference standings. (Here’s video and breakdown of the win from former national teamer Cobi Jones.) This week’s trip into Colorado makes for a tougher test. Still, if David Beckham can hit a couple more like Saturday night’s beauty, things should be OK. (The giggle about it all, shared by Beckham himself, is that his poor first touch set up that mighty shot. At least he’s being honest.)
10. FC Dallas – The record looks OK, but Dallas keeps leaving it late. For the second consecutive week a hero turned up to knock in the late game-winner, this time over Montreal. Brek Shea scored his first of 2012, and his second half generally looked lively. So perhaps the young winger is shaking things loose after a few months where he seemed to have hit a plateau. Jackson, the utility knife now being recalled from his loan to Brazilian side Cruzeiro, may arrive later this week.
9. D.C. United – The injury bug is biting once again around RFK, and at a very bad time. Injuries to center backs Emiliano Dudar and Dejan Jakovic will force Ben Olsen to shuffle the back line. Perry Kitchen is one of the options to partner with Brandon McDonald in central defense, but it would be ashamed to yank him off defensive midfield duty when the second-year man is just settling into the position. On the other hand, Wednesday’s match at home against expansion Montreal means points can perhaps be had, even if the team isn’t at tip-top best.
8. Vancouver Whitecaps – Don’t come a knockin’ when BC Place is rockin’. Well, unless it’s to get a seat for Wednesday’s contest against undefeated, untied Sporting Kansas City. This could be the match that upsets SKC’s unblemished apple cart. It’s on artificial turf, and it follows a high-profile win Saturday for the visitors over Real Salt Lake. Plus, Vancouver is well-rested following a week off.
7. Colorado Rapids – Oscar Pareja’s team is smack in the middle of a tough stretch, coming off losses at Seattle and Real Salt Lake, and with the champions now coming in for a dust-up in Denver. The Rapids will hope to poke holes in the previously porous L.A. back line, one reinforced last week with David Junior Lopes’ arrival. For the contest, Pareja wants a little more want-to from his men. Meanwhile, Drew Moor was back in his old center back spot, looking confident and comfortable once again.
Apr 17, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
Gunners playmaker back fit, as Arsene Wenger expects big things from the German next season:
Apr 17, 2014, 5:24 PM EDT
Real Madrid has the easiest path, with the next two weekends potentially knocking the holders out of contention.
Apr 17, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
England international a doubt after hamstring injury, why would Liverpool risk him?
Apr 17, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
Which MLS teams can join New York in leaving the ranks of the winless?
Apr 17, 2014, 4:24 PM EDT
Unstoppable Reds continue to roll, but where did the contenders shake out in our latest rankings?
Apr 17, 2014, 3:28 PM EDT
Both players should be back by the time their national teams start preparations for this summer’s World Cup.
Apr 17, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Thousands of flares engulfed Greece’s Toumba Stadium as a bench was lit on fire and covered in anchovies. And that was all before the match…
Apr 17, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
With Guardiola not taking kindly to criticism from the front office, could the former Barcelona boss return to the Camp Nou?
Apr 17, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
For decades Manchester United have been the top dogs in Manchester, now that’s changing. PST’s Editor and Lead Writer went behind the scenes to see what Mancunians are all about:
Apr 17, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Can Brendan Rodgers and company make it through the rest of their schedule unscathed to the prize at the end? Chelsea seem like the biggest hurdle. Our very own Joe Prince-Wright and Mike Prindiville discuss.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT
Conspiracy theories are abound, with Swansea’s Garry Monk believing someone is out to get his club while Aston Villa’s Paul Lambert couldn’t speak on the suspension of staff members due to a “legal investigation.”
Apr 17, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
Napoli’s Marek Hamsik has struggled this year, but the 26-year-old could seriously bolster a Premier League attack.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT
With its club licensing benchmark report for the 2012 season, UEFA has outlined trends that signal both unprecedented growth and overspending issues.
Apr 17, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
According to a BBC report, a Cardiff player leaked the lineup to Moody who mistakenly sent a text to the wrong person.
Apr 17, 2014, 7:37 AM EDT
With Brendan Rodgers having steered Liverpool to unthinkable Premier League heights, Arsene Wenger believes the deciders should instead look to the league’s trenches to give out its postseason award.
Apr 17, 2014, 12:24 AM EDT
Week one of the NWSL season sees Seattle atop of the league, but an import from Spain snagged her own headlines for Western New York.
Apr 16, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
It took six-and-a-half weeks, but last year’s Supporters’ Shield winners have their first victory of the season.
Apr 16, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Three matches the shoot up the title, Champions League races:
Apr 16, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
One location is the clear favor for No. 24, but down to one slot, the competition could pick up.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
Like his players, City’s boss has plenty of questions to answer after Wednesday’s disappointment.
- Premier League Power Rankings: Liverpool or Chelsea for the title? – Week 34 0
- Neymar, Jordi Alba to miss the rest of Barcelona’s season 0
- Manchester: A city not united, as Blue and Red converge 2
- PST Extra: Race for the Premier League title 0
- Report: Cardiff, Tan claim to have evidence against Palace in spy accusation 2
- NWSL Digest: Reign, Flash flying as we move past Week 1 2