Apr 17, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT
The mid-pack bunch (Nos. 12-7, counting down) in ProSoccerTalk’s weekly MLS quality rearrangement. (Part I, a.k.a. the “Money Shot” is on deck … ):
12. Chivas USA – MLS observers from coast to coast are scratching their heads over what to make of Robin Fraser’s men. They didn’t look terrible in all three home loses, but they have, in fact, lost all three home matches. That stinks. On the other hand, they are unbeaten and untied in three on the road, including last week’s 1-0 win at Toronto. So, what gives? Whatever you think of the wobbly season, props to goalkeeper Dan Kennedy, whose stellar work was big in Saturday’s win.
11. Los Angeles Galaxy – A win over Portland dragged the Galaxy off the bottom of the Western Conference standings. (Here’s video and breakdown of the win from former national teamer Cobi Jones.) This week’s trip into Colorado makes for a tougher test. Still, if David Beckham can hit a couple more like Saturday night’s beauty, things should be OK. (The giggle about it all, shared by Beckham himself, is that his poor first touch set up that mighty shot. At least he’s being honest.)
10. FC Dallas – The record looks OK, but Dallas keeps leaving it late. For the second consecutive week a hero turned up to knock in the late game-winner, this time over Montreal. Brek Shea scored his first of 2012, and his second half generally looked lively. So perhaps the young winger is shaking things loose after a few months where he seemed to have hit a plateau. Jackson, the utility knife now being recalled from his loan to Brazilian side Cruzeiro, may arrive later this week.
9. D.C. United – The injury bug is biting once again around RFK, and at a very bad time. Injuries to center backs Emiliano Dudar and Dejan Jakovic will force Ben Olsen to shuffle the back line. Perry Kitchen is one of the options to partner with Brandon McDonald in central defense, but it would be ashamed to yank him off defensive midfield duty when the second-year man is just settling into the position. On the other hand, Wednesday’s match at home against expansion Montreal means points can perhaps be had, even if the team isn’t at tip-top best.
8. Vancouver Whitecaps – Don’t come a knockin’ when BC Place is rockin’. Well, unless it’s to get a seat for Wednesday’s contest against undefeated, untied Sporting Kansas City. This could be the match that upsets SKC’s unblemished apple cart. It’s on artificial turf, and it follows a high-profile win Saturday for the visitors over Real Salt Lake. Plus, Vancouver is well-rested following a week off.
7. Colorado Rapids – Oscar Pareja’s team is smack in the middle of a tough stretch, coming off losses at Seattle and Real Salt Lake, and with the champions now coming in for a dust-up in Denver. The Rapids will hope to poke holes in the previously porous L.A. back line, one reinforced last week with David Junior Lopes’ arrival. For the contest, Pareja wants a little more want-to from his men. Meanwhile, Drew Moor was back in his old center back spot, looking confident and comfortable once again.
Jul 31, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
Jermaine Jones is not the only US midfielder rumored to come home, while two Red Devils are tipped for Madrid.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:52 AM EDT
An altercation between a player and referee in a men’s league game left the official dead. What followed has been anything but pretty.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
The World Cup praise has been flowing for Klinsmann in international circles, though American analysts like Alexi Lalas, Eric Wynalda and others have condemned the manager’s approach as too cautious.
Jul 31, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT
Neymar’s health could be the key to whether Barcelona can weather the Luis Suarez suspension in pursuit of La Liga’s title.
Jul 31, 2014, 8:20 AM EDT
The Red Devils’ owners are making more of the club public following the death of patriarch Malcolm, and the club could lose adidas money if on-field success doesn’t return.
Jul 31, 2014, 7:51 AM EDT
Since putting in a good effort for the USMNT at the World Cup, Jones had been sorting out his next career move and partying with celebrities like Paris Hilton and Mike Tyson.
Jul 31, 2014, 12:23 AM EDT
Thierry Henry’s second half equalizer takes earns a point at Rio Tinto.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:43 PM EDT
The Revs’ eight-game losing streak ends thanks to another strong night from Lee Nguyen.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
The Red fall nine points back of second place United in the Eastern Conference.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
24-year-old defender loaned out for the seventh time.
Ugly scenes in Northern Ireland as Mexican U-19 player attempts to kick opponent’s head during Milk Cup brawl
Jul 30, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Game is eventually cut short after a yet unnamed player aimed at the head of a fallen opponent.
Jul 30, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
Atlético’s interest could develop into Chicharito’s best option.
Jul 30, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT
Nick De Santis will stay with the Impact, albeit in an administrative role.
Jul 30, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
Everton’s leading scorer returns to Goodison on a permanent basis.
Jul 30, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
With immediate effect, U.S.’s women’s league will pause mid-half if when it’s too hot.
Jul 30, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Liverpool roll into town and people freak out! Watch this incredible reaction to Stevie G signing autographs.
Jul 30, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Reports from Texas state Jurgen Klinsmann’s side are playing Colombia in September.
Jul 30, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Union grab Algerian goalkeeper Mbolhi, throw MacMath’s future in doubt.
Jul 30, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
One of the most influential men in world soccer passed away on Wednesday at the age of 82.
Jul 30, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT
After success at the 2014 World Cup, vanishing spray is coming to the PL.
- Simeone praises Klinsmann’s US program that “seduces us as coaches” 0
- Neymar’s recovery from World Cup back injury “almost 100 percent” 0
- Reports: Jermaine Jones coming to Chicago, move welcomed by Fire 0
- Atlético Madrid latest club linked with Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernández 3
- Romelu Lukaku completes permanent, $47 million move to Everton 11
- Report: US to play friendly vs. Colombia in San Antonio 1