Apr 17, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT
The mid-pack bunch (Nos. 12-7, counting down) in ProSoccerTalk’s weekly MLS quality rearrangement. (Part I, a.k.a. the “Money Shot” is on deck … ):
12. Chivas USA – MLS observers from coast to coast are scratching their heads over what to make of Robin Fraser’s men. They didn’t look terrible in all three home loses, but they have, in fact, lost all three home matches. That stinks. On the other hand, they are unbeaten and untied in three on the road, including last week’s 1-0 win at Toronto. So, what gives? Whatever you think of the wobbly season, props to goalkeeper Dan Kennedy, whose stellar work was big in Saturday’s win.
11. Los Angeles Galaxy – A win over Portland dragged the Galaxy off the bottom of the Western Conference standings. (Here’s video and breakdown of the win from former national teamer Cobi Jones.) This week’s trip into Colorado makes for a tougher test. Still, if David Beckham can hit a couple more like Saturday night’s beauty, things should be OK. (The giggle about it all, shared by Beckham himself, is that his poor first touch set up that mighty shot. At least he’s being honest.)
10. FC Dallas – The record looks OK, but Dallas keeps leaving it late. For the second consecutive week a hero turned up to knock in the late game-winner, this time over Montreal. Brek Shea scored his first of 2012, and his second half generally looked lively. So perhaps the young winger is shaking things loose after a few months where he seemed to have hit a plateau. Jackson, the utility knife now being recalled from his loan to Brazilian side Cruzeiro, may arrive later this week.
9. D.C. United – The injury bug is biting once again around RFK, and at a very bad time. Injuries to center backs Emiliano Dudar and Dejan Jakovic will force Ben Olsen to shuffle the back line. Perry Kitchen is one of the options to partner with Brandon McDonald in central defense, but it would be ashamed to yank him off defensive midfield duty when the second-year man is just settling into the position. On the other hand, Wednesday’s match at home against expansion Montreal means points can perhaps be had, even if the team isn’t at tip-top best.
8. Vancouver Whitecaps – Don’t come a knockin’ when BC Place is rockin’. Well, unless it’s to get a seat for Wednesday’s contest against undefeated, untied Sporting Kansas City. This could be the match that upsets SKC’s unblemished apple cart. It’s on artificial turf, and it follows a high-profile win Saturday for the visitors over Real Salt Lake. Plus, Vancouver is well-rested following a week off.
7. Colorado Rapids – Oscar Pareja’s team is smack in the middle of a tough stretch, coming off losses at Seattle and Real Salt Lake, and with the champions now coming in for a dust-up in Denver. The Rapids will hope to poke holes in the previously porous L.A. back line, one reinforced last week with David Junior Lopes’ arrival. For the contest, Pareja wants a little more want-to from his men. Meanwhile, Drew Moor was back in his old center back spot, looking confident and comfortable once again.
Aug 21, 2014, 9:26 PM EDT
Something for nothing? Vancouver swaps a spare part for one of the league’s more prolific assist men.
Aug 21, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
They’re both stars, both taking elective leave from their national team. That’s where the similarities end between Donovan and Howard.
Aug 21, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
A new starter will have his chance to stake his claim, while another player will get more looks in camp with the third keeper’s role.
Aug 21, 2014, 4:09 PM EDT
The 35-year-old is taking a step back, making himself unavailable for selection until Sept. 2015.
Aug 21, 2014, 3:19 PM EDT
LMA statement: “These were two text messages sent in private at a time Malky felt under great pressure and when he was letting off steam to a friend during some friendly text message banter.”
Aug 21, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Exciting attacker arrives at Loftus Road for the 2014-15 season.
Aug 21, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
Despite being eligible to play for his country, Suarez left off Uruguay’s roster.
Aug 21, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
Khedira turns down new deal at Real. Will the Spaniards cash in on him now?
Aug 21, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Former Liverpool star could be heading to United as Real Madrid seek to trim squad.
Aug 21, 2014, 11:16 AM EDT
Spurs boss in dramatic U-turn on Europa League after previously dismissing tournament.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:46 AM EDT
Leiweke to leave MLSE, as leading sports executive calls it quits in Toronto.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
After trailing 3-1, LA came roaring back to win 4-3 as Donovan bagged the winner.
Aug 21, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
Di Maria wants out of Real, will Manchester United be able to pounce for his signature?
Aug 21, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT
Moody, pictured center, has resigned from his role at Palace following damaging allegations.
Aug 21, 2014, 8:20 AM EDT
Liverpool, AC Milan agree Balotelli transfer as player, agent set to arrive at Anfield.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT
Monster moves rumored. Check out all the latest gossip, right here.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
Both Ronaldo and Ramos have gone to Madrid president Florentino Perez to ask him to keep Di Maria.
Aug 20, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT
Sunderland manager Gus Poyet believes United States striker Jozy Altidore is the happiest he has ever seen him.
Malky Mackay and Iain Moody investigated by FA for ‘sexist, racist and homophobic’ text messages while at Cardiff City
Aug 20, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
Malky Mackay has been reported to the Football Association for being involved in a series of racist, sexist and homophobic text messages.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
If Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher showed up to your training to sign autographs, what would you ask him?
- Vancouver sends Nigel Reo-Coker to Chivas USA for Mauro Rosales 0
- Tim Howard taking a break from U.S. international duty 4
- Report: Xabi Alonso heading to Manchester United 7
- Mario Balotelli edging closer to shock $26 million Liverpool switch 16
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Tiote to Arsenal, Destro to Chelsea 0
- Angel Di Maria gets love from Ronaldo, Sergio Ramos and Diego Simeone 2