Apr 17, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
We’ve already dropped knowledge and quasi-science on Parts II and III; here are your top money-makers and heart-breakers (Nos 1-6) in our weekly MLS Rankings countdown, following Round 6:
6. Seattle Sounders – Brian Mullan’s first trip into Seattle since the incident came and went without any drama, and ended just fine in Seattle fan minds in a 1-0 win over Colorado. Speaking of all that incident, on Monday hopeful news drifted out of Seattle that Steve Zakuani may finally get into a reserve match. We’ve had Lucy pull the football away from us on this one before, so we’ll see. Right back Zach Scott was impressive in Saturday’s win. I liked him a lot, and so did Seattle Times writer Joshua Mayers.
5. New York Red Bulls – Is there any reason to expect that more games won’t play out the way Saturday’s did inside Red Bull Arena, with goals raining like spring showers over Manhattan? Kenny Cooper and Thierry Henry keep hooking up beautifully on the attacking end, but that defense is all thumbs. Hans Backe scratches at the bottom line when he says it’s all about ball watching, but it’s truly worse than that. Guys are running into each other back there! The Red Bull’s 10 goals allowed is second-worst in the East, behind only expansion Montreal. And Rafa Marquez is being a naughty, naughty boy. Again.
4. San Jose Earthquakes – Nobody claims a playoff spot in April, of course. On the other hand, heading into late April at the top of the Western Conference standings would be a splendid place for the Earthquakes to find themselves. A victory over conference toppers Real Salt Lake this Saturday would put Frank Yallop’s team there. With a game in hand, no less. Rafael Baca was especially impressive, but the entire San Jose midfield was on top of things in last week’s 2-2 draw with New York. This injury to Shea Salinas is a concern, and the disciplinary committee could have something to say later this week that could further deplete San Jose’s roster.
3. Houston Dynamo – With seven points already from this difficult seven-game road swing to open the season, the Orange may already have done enough to keep things happily afloat ahead of the May 12 downtown stadium debut. Just three games to go after Sunday’s soggy 1-1 draw in Chicago. This week’s trip is into Columbus, where the depleted Dynamo midfield will get one player back, at least, as Adam Moffat returns from his one-game suspension.
2. Real Salt Lake – They didn’t give up a ton of chances in last week’s big meeting with Sporting Kansas City, but they didn’t direct a whole lot toward opposition goal, either. No time to rehash that one, thought; RSL retains its spot atop the Western Conference standings, but the chief threat of the moment is up next. Things get no easier this week as Jason Kreis takes his team into Buck Shaw Stadium to meet confident San Jose. Real has prevailed in its last two matches at San Jose, so recent history sides with the gang from Utah.
1. Sporting Kansas City – The league’s best side has its work cut out this week, traveling for a mid-week match Wednesday (Vancouver) and then navigating a quick turn-around before Saturday’s match down the coast (Portland). Will one of these be the match that trips up Peter Vermes’ high fliers? By the way, one media frequent flier on the Sporting KC scene suggests nobody what happens this week, this is already the best start in MLS history.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT
Monster moves rumored. Check out all the latest gossip, right here.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
Both Ronaldo and Ramos have gone to Madrid president Florentino Perez to ask him to keep Di Maria.
Aug 20, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT
Sunderland manager Gus Poyet believes United States striker Jozy Altidore is the happiest he has ever seen him.
Malky Mackay and Iain Moody investigated by FA for ‘sexist, racist and homophobic’ text messages while at Cardiff City
Aug 20, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
Malky Mackay has been reported to the Football Association for being involved in a series of racist, sexist and homophobic text messages.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
If Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher showed up to your training to sign autographs, what would you ask him?
Aug 20, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Arteta’s status means that Jack Wilshere and Mathieu Flamini will be the holding midfield partnership against the Turks.
Aug 20, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
Champions League play-offs continued on Wednesday with a series of tight contests headlined by a 1-0 victory for FC Porto at Lyon.
Aug 20, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT
Could Mario Balotelli be Liverpool’s answer to replace Luis Suarez?
Aug 20, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
Malky Mackay can’t escape Vincent Tan after Cardiff owner files report with FA that prompts Palace to withdraw managerial offer.
Aug 20, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
Will Cristiano Ronaldo’s back injury prevent him from playing the second leg of the Spanish Super Cup?
Aug 20, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
Liverpool fans can finally kiss goodbye that Warrior label but will that improve the designs?
Aug 20, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Dzeko becomes the sixth player this summer to sign a new contract with City.
Aug 20, 2014, 3:26 PM EDT
D.C. welcome Jamaican side Waterhouse to RFK, while Montreal head to El Salvador in CCL group stages.
Aug 20, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Red Devils finally land their man as Argentine defender signs five-year deal.
Aug 20, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
Nani is being paid his Manchester United wages in full… to play for Sporting Lisbon.
Aug 20, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
The diminutive Croatian midfielder will remain at Real after proving himself in the Spanish capital.
Aug 20, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
Check this out: one of the craziest tattoos from a soccer fan, ever.
Aug 20, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
Fer, 24, is back in the Premier League as QPR capture box-to-box midfielder.
Aug 20, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Set to arrive in MLS in 2017, the league’s newest franchise has already sold a staggering number of season tickets.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
Wenger: “It’s very difficult to understand but, in the second half, the performance of the referee was very bad.”
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Falcao to Liverpool, Tiote to Arsenal, Destro to Chelsea 0
- Angel Di Maria gets love from Ronaldo, Sergio Ramos and Diego Simeone 0
- Jozy Altidore is the happiest he’s ever been, says Gus Poyet 2
- Malky Mackay and Iain Moody investigated by FA for ‘sexist, racist and homophobic’ text messages while at Cardiff City 6
- Liverpool and AC Milan in talks over deal for Mario Balotelli 5
- Atlanta’s new MLS franchise has already sold 14,000 season tickets 9