Apr 17, 2012, 2:25 PM EDT
This Rafa Marquez story just keeps spinning, of course. And we haven’t even reached “suspension announcement” phase just yet.
Earthquakes players weren’t happy at all with the Red Bulls midfielder for his treatment of Shea Salinas. Right back Steven Beitashour told MLSsoccer.com that everybody wants to be tight in their marking and the “physical” is OK. But …
“That’s not being physical. That’s just being dirty.”
Salinas said today that he forgives Marquez and really doesn’t care what kind of suspension is in the works. He may be one of the few. Outrage can be found in every nook and cranny of the big internet palace at this point.
Rest assured, the disciplinary committee will speak on this one. Whether they’ll bring down the big hammer or just hit Marquez with a love tap is the question. My guess: two matches. One for the take down and one for the kick at the end. It won’t be written up that way, exactly, but that’s where it could land.
Marquez’s history works against him. Don’t forget, he missed the first three games this year for his part in nearly instigating a full donnybrook after last year’s playoff loss to the Galaxy.
If you haven’t seen Saturday action in question, here ‘tis:
- Van Gaal has interest in Ronaldo, doesn’t think Real Madrid will sell 2
- Americans Abroad preview: Guzan looks to keep Villa rolling 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 5 1
- Euro 2020 semis, final to be played at Wembley Stadium 1
- Sloppy USWNT 4-0 win over Mexico adds fuel to turf conversation fire 0
- MLS’s new logo: Reddit (yes, Reddit) may have a way to solve the league’s new problem 19