Apr 17, 2012, 2:25 PM EDT
This Rafa Marquez story just keeps spinning, of course. And we haven’t even reached “suspension announcement” phase just yet.
Earthquakes players weren’t happy at all with the Red Bulls midfielder for his treatment of Shea Salinas. Right back Steven Beitashour told MLSsoccer.com that everybody wants to be tight in their marking and the “physical” is OK. But …
“That’s not being physical. That’s just being dirty.”
Salinas said today that he forgives Marquez and really doesn’t care what kind of suspension is in the works. He may be one of the few. Outrage can be found in every nook and cranny of the big internet palace at this point.
Rest assured, the disciplinary committee will speak on this one. Whether they’ll bring down the big hammer or just hit Marquez with a love tap is the question. My guess: two matches. One for the take down and one for the kick at the end. It won’t be written up that way, exactly, but that’s where it could land.
Marquez’s history works against him. Don’t forget, he missed the first three games this year for his part in nearly instigating a full donnybrook after last year’s playoff loss to the Galaxy.
If you haven’t seen Saturday action in question, here ‘tis:
- USA vs. Guatemala preview: USMNT’s final tune-up before 2015 Gold Cup 0
- 2015 Gold Cup – Group A preview: USMNT favorites over Honduras, Panama, Haiti 0
- Clint Dempsey replaced by Michael Bradley as USMNT captain for Gold Cup 5
- Despite devastating World Cup exit, England’s women inspired a nation 7
- US ask Switzerland to extradite seven FIFA officials 0
- The world wants Laura Bassett to know that her own goal is nothing to be ashamed of… 10