Apr 17, 2012, 7:45 AM EDT
Yes, most eyes will be on Munich, and we can’t blame you. When two bottles come off the top shelf, you want to see what’s poured. Just know that there’s a lot of happening elsewhere in the soccer world. By the time you read this, Asian Champions League will have kicked off in Australia, South Korea and Japan, while the final round of two Copa Libertadores groups will be your night cap.
Nobody can watch them all, but hopefully they’ll stay on your radar. Here is your Tuesday Field of Play:
UEFA Champions League
- Bayern Munich (Germany) vs. Real Madrid (Spain), 2:45 p.m. ET
Real Madrid’s played 10 Champions League games, winning nine and tying the other, but as Sid Lowe pointed out on this week’s Football Weekly, they’re yet to face a team from Europe’s top four leagues. It’s a peculiar implication – that they have somehow gone untested – given how many times we’ve seen Real Madrid matched against Barcelona. While they have yet to pass one of those tests, they’ve shown enough to make them the clear favorites. Bayern need to take advantage of their home leg.
- Deportivo Quito (Ecuador) vs. Chivas (Mexico), 7:15 p.m. ET
- Vélez Sarsfield (Argentina) vs. Defensor Sporting (Uruguay), 7:15 p.m. ET
- Bolívar (Bolivia) vs. Universidad Catolica (Chile), 9:30 p.m. ET
- Junior (Colombia) vs. Unión Española (Chile), 9:30 p.m. ET
Group 7 plays the first set, with Vélez (group winners) and Guadalajara (last place) playing for nothing. Chivas is expected to lose at Deportivo, leaving Defensor Sporting in the unenviable position of having to win at Vélez to retain second place.
In the late kickoffs, unless there’s a lopsided result, the match in Bolivia’s the only one that matters. If Catolica wins, they jump Bolívar and go through in second place. Else, the Bolivian side advances with Union Española.
Asian Champions League
- Brisbane Roar (Australia) vs. Ulsan (South Korea), 5:30 a.m. ET
- Joenbuk Motors (South Korea) vs. Buriram United (Thailand), 6:00 a.m. ET
- Tokyo (Japan) vs. Beijing Guoan (China), 6:30 am. ET
- Guangzhou Evergrande (China) vs. Kashiwa Reysol (Japan), 7:30 a.m. ET
- Persepolis (Iran) vs. Al Gharafa (Qatar), 8:30 a.m. ET
- Bani Yas (UAE) vs. Al Ittihad (Saudi Arabia), 11:05 a.m. ET
- Al Arabi (Qatar) vs. Pakhtakor (Uzbekistan), 12:00 p.m. ET
- Al Hilal (Saudi Arabia) vs. Al Shabab (UAE), 1:50 p.m. ET
Joenbuk Motors pulled a mild surprise last round, rebounding from their horrid group stage start to hand Buriran their tournament’s first. Their group, which includes that day’s headline act (Guangzou-Kashiwa) remains wide open, as does Group F (Tokyo, Ulsan, Beijing, Brisbane), where the last two rounds of matches have ended in draws.
In the western groups, Al-Ittihad will look to stay perfect. If they do, they’ll clinch a knockout round spot and give Pakhtakor a chance to seize second place. Likewise, Perspolis is through with a win, while an Al Hilal-Al Shabab winner would maintain the slim hope of winning Group D.
Aug 27, 2014, 11:35 PM EDT
“I play a lot of Football Manager,” Gomis said.
Aug 27, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Reports indicate Chelsea striker Diego Costa has suffered a hamstring injury that will keep him out of the side for four to six weeks.
Aug 27, 2014, 10:24 PM EDT
Cameroon striker Samuel Eto’o has announced his retirement from international football.
Aug 27, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
The BBC is reporting that Calum Chambers, Danny Rose and Fabian Delph are all set for England call-ups.
Aug 27, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Lazio is most interested in the American’s services but the recent injury casts doubt on the likelihood of a transfer.
Aug 27, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
QPR and Aston Villa followed Manchester United’s lead in crashing out of the League Cup to clubs from the Football League.
Aug 27, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT
Ludogorets defender Cosmin Moti took the gloves and saved two penalties to help his side advance to the Champions League group stage.
Aug 27, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Let’s take a look at five more clubs and how they will wheel and deal before the window slams shut.
Aug 27, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
The loss of Giroud skyrockets the possibility of Wenger soon moving to sign another pure striker.
Aug 27, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Reports across Europe claim that Xabi Alonso has reached an agreement with Bayern Munich.
Aug 27, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
“The hardest thing is knowing when to say goodbye,” Xabi Alonso said.
Aug 27, 2014, 2:47 PM EDT
Balotelli aims big as new Liverpool signing speaks out.
Aug 27, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Guardiola gives Muller a piece of his mind during Bayern’s open practice session.
Aug 27, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
Fazio heads to White Hart Lane on four-year deal from Sevilla.
Aug 27, 2014, 1:14 PM EDT
As conflict continues between Israel, Hamas, UEFA has stepped in to postpone qualifier.
Aug 27, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT
Following United’s embarrassing 4-0 defeat to a third-tier team, the UK media have not been kind.
Aug 27, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT
Soccer in Sin City… why not? Stadium deal gets over next hurdle, hinges on MLS team heading to Nevada.
Aug 27, 2014, 11:22 AM EDT
All the latest transfer gossip, right here.
Aug 27, 2014, 9:42 AM EDT
After Oliver Giroud’s bad injury, will Arsenal spend big to bring in Cavani?
Aug 27, 2014, 9:12 AM EDT
Have your say on where van Gaal’s side will finish this campaign.
- Report: Diego Costa could be out four to six weeks with hamstring injury 0
- Transfer needs – Everton, Hull, Leicester, Liverpool, Manchester City 1
- Olivier Giroud undergoes ankle surgery, out 3-4 months for Arsenal 0
- $410 million Las Vegas soccer stadium deal closer; next stop, Major League Soccer… 13
- Report: Arsenal bid $82 million for Edinson Cavani. Remy, Falcao, Welbeck linked 9
- Confirmed: Neil Warnock takes over at Crystal Palace; what will he bring? 0