Apr 18, 2012, 6:30 AM EST
What we’re thinking, what we’re watching, what’s coming on the blog today and the RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day). Setting up your day in soccer …
Birthdays of note: Matthew Upson? Milan Jovanovic? Matthew Upson? Happy birthday guys, but our man today is Maurice Edu. The USMNT midfielder turns 26 on Wednesday, though we’d better find a few bucks for the cake. We don’t want to put that bill on Rangers’ box.
Big important story of the day: Barcelona visiting Stamford Bridge will get the hype, with security around Chelsea’s ground on the lookout for Tom Henning Ørevbø. At least, that’s the impression we’ve got from the game’s buildup. Closer to home, the waiting game continues. When will we hear from MLS on Rafa Marquez?
Ahead on the blog today:* We’re with you live for Chelsea-Barcelona starting at 2:45 p.m. ET. Around that, look for MLS’s Panic Quotient (®) and an update on day three of Marquez Watch.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Mamadou Diallo
What we’re watching: Beyond Champions League? We’ve got a doubleheader in Major League Soccer, with D.C. United hosting Montreal ahead of Sporting Kansas City’s trip to Vancouver.
PST background noise while blogging today: Hulu’s on autoplay, and after getting our Daily Show fix, I’ve been guided to Modern Family. Could be worse.
We’ll leave you with this: At no point when Married With Children was on did I think Christina Applegate would be able to carry a TV show, but based on the limited times Hulu’s directed me to Up All Night, she might be the best sit-com-y actress on television (I say as somebody who only watched what Hulu lets me),
* – always subject to change, but we’ll do our best.
- Premier League Power Rankings: Everton flying, Manchester United nosedive – Week 14-15 1
- Three 2014 World Cup dark horses across three continents 1
- UEFA Champions League preview: Arsenal, Chelsea look to close out groups 0
- New York City FC names Jason Kreis its first coach 5
- UEFA Champions League recap: Man United, Bayern join Real, PSG as group winners 0
- Where They Stand: Who’s in, who’s out after Tuesday’s UEFA Champions League action 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (15)
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit