Apr 19, 2012, 8:28 AM EDT
Another kickoff. A few passes. Knock in a couple of goals. Deliver a couple of knocks. Notch another win. Move on.
It’s almost a little humdrum these days for wickedly effective Sporting Kansas City.
Wednesday’s trip into BC Place to face Martin Rennie’s resilient Vancouver Whitecaps figured to be Sporting’s toughest assignment yet. And, indeed, the Whitecaps pressed SKC’s defense like no others have this year. And by “press,” we mean: Sporting Kansas City allowed a goal and goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen actually had to break a sweat in his team’s 3-1 victory.
But Peter Vermes’ team was doing some pressing of its own on a night where the teams combined for 27 shots (9 on target). This wasn’t the best of matches – there were 27 fouls to go with the 27 shots, as SKC dates always lean toward the handsy and physical – but it wasn’t bad either.
So now the Midwesterners are 7-0-0, steamrolling right along. Let’s add some perspective to such a historic start.
- This is probably the best start in 17-years of Major League Soccer, even if it’s not statistically so. The L.A. Galaxy’s 12-0 launch back in 1996 included a shootout win. Plus, team strength varied wildly in those first weeks and months of a brand new league, so SKC’s achievement in 2012 comes in a completely different era, one leaps and bounds ahead of 1996 in terms of collective know-how and stability.
- Sporting’s +10 goal differential through seven games, extrapolated over an entire season, would fall in around +48 or +49. Will it stay there? Doubtful. But the club would easily set a league record by maintaining such an eye-popping sum.
- If you throw out the early years of wild-west, disparate team strengths, Real Salt Lake’s +25 in 2010 is the best goal difference of the last dozen years, and that one certainly could be in jeopardy.
- Two goals allowed, extrapolated over an entire season, would amount to fewer than 10. Again, that’s not going to happen. But just for the sake of perspective, Houston’s 2007 championship team set the standard, allowing 23 goals in 30 matches.
Next chance to upset the Sporting apple cart comes Saturday at Jeld-Wen Field, where Vermes’ team has little time for rest and regeneration ahead of the date against Portland.
Here are highlights of last night’s win at Vancouver:
Aug 28, 2015, 9:04 AM EDT
Segregation of U.S. and Mexico fans key for CONCACAF for huge showdown in Pasadena.
Aug 28, 2015, 8:20 AM EDT
South Korean international becomes Spurs’ third most-expensive signing in club history.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:01 PM EDT
Why yes, Mr. Wenger, one would have to agree with that assessment. In particular, it’s the finishing that’s killing them, he says.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:13 PM EDT
Next summers tournament will go on, but CONCACAF might not participate, which means the Copa needs a new host nation.
Aug 27, 2015, 7:37 PM EDT
Rog talks with Chelsea’s Jose Mourinho about his coaching philosophy, post-match press conferences and football in America.
Aug 27, 2015, 7:09 PM EDT
With the transfer deadline now just four days away, some of these deals are (finally) getting done.
Aug 27, 2015, 5:41 PM EDT
Southampton can now fully focus on the Premier League, because they’re officially out of Europe.
Aug 27, 2015, 4:38 PM EDT
The transfer deadline looms large as the Premier Leagues 20 teams head into Week 4. Who will be the panic buyers of 2015?
Aug 27, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Yeah, you know Stanford’s Jordan Morris, but Washington’s Mason Robertson and Oregon State’s Timmy Mueller outscored him last year and will look to do the same this season.
Aug 27, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Neymar could be a stunt double for Limerick’s Barry Cotter.
Aug 27, 2015, 1:41 PM EDT
UCL draw hands two PL teams favorable groups. As for the other two… woof.
Aug 27, 2015, 1:16 PM EDT
Argentine superstar picks up second UEFA Best Player award after stunning treble-winning season.
Aug 27, 2015, 12:42 PM EDT
The stars will be out in force as heavyweights collide at the first hurdle.
Aug 27, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Experienced center backs both missed Liverpool game through injury. Will they return this weekend?
Aug 27, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
All the latest gossip from around the PL.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT
Super Mario knows he is running out of chances to salvage his career.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Gunners boss says he will be available “24 hours” as Deadline Day approaches.
Aug 27, 2015, 8:28 AM EDT
Back in black, the Red Devils have a snazzy new jersey for their UCL games this season.
Aug 27, 2015, 7:45 AM EDT
Have City given up on signing KDB this summer?
Aug 26, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Three matches certainly don’t tell the tale of an entire season, but it’s a decent length chapter in the story of the 2015-16 Premier League.
- CONCACAF aims for 50-50 crowd split for USA vs. Mexico clash at Rose Bowl 0
- Top 5 Premier League storylines ahead of Week 4: Transfer deadline day looms 2
- Analyzing UEFA Champions League group stage draw for four Premier League teams 0
- Full draw: Epic UEFA Champions League group stage will see giants collide 3
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Neymar in talks, Olic to Stoke City 0
- Wolfsburg say Kevin de Bruyne not heading to Manchester City “at this point” 9