Apr 19, 2012, 8:28 AM EDT
Another kickoff. A few passes. Knock in a couple of goals. Deliver a couple of knocks. Notch another win. Move on.
It’s almost a little humdrum these days for wickedly effective Sporting Kansas City.
Wednesday’s trip into BC Place to face Martin Rennie’s resilient Vancouver Whitecaps figured to be Sporting’s toughest assignment yet. And, indeed, the Whitecaps pressed SKC’s defense like no others have this year. And by “press,” we mean: Sporting Kansas City allowed a goal and goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen actually had to break a sweat in his team’s 3-1 victory.
But Peter Vermes’ team was doing some pressing of its own on a night where the teams combined for 27 shots (9 on target). This wasn’t the best of matches – there were 27 fouls to go with the 27 shots, as SKC dates always lean toward the handsy and physical – but it wasn’t bad either.
So now the Midwesterners are 7-0-0, steamrolling right along. Let’s add some perspective to such a historic start.
- This is probably the best start in 17-years of Major League Soccer, even if it’s not statistically so. The L.A. Galaxy’s 12-0 launch back in 1996 included a shootout win. Plus, team strength varied wildly in those first weeks and months of a brand new league, so SKC’s achievement in 2012 comes in a completely different era, one leaps and bounds ahead of 1996 in terms of collective know-how and stability.
- Sporting’s +10 goal differential through seven games, extrapolated over an entire season, would fall in around +48 or +49. Will it stay there? Doubtful. But the club would easily set a league record by maintaining such an eye-popping sum.
- If you throw out the early years of wild-west, disparate team strengths, Real Salt Lake’s +25 in 2010 is the best goal difference of the last dozen years, and that one certainly could be in jeopardy.
- Two goals allowed, extrapolated over an entire season, would amount to fewer than 10. Again, that’s not going to happen. But just for the sake of perspective, Houston’s 2007 championship team set the standard, allowing 23 goals in 30 matches.
Next chance to upset the Sporting apple cart comes Saturday at Jeld-Wen Field, where Vermes’ team has little time for rest and regeneration ahead of the date against Portland.
Here are highlights of last night’s win at Vancouver:
May 23, 2013, 11:24 PM EDT
Manchester City overcame a 3-goal deficit at Busch Stadium in St. Louis as Edin Dzeko bagged a brace to beat Chelsea 4-3.
May 23, 2013, 11:03 PM EDT
Just days after Jose Mourinho mutually parted ways with Real Madrid, he will be completing a deal to become Chelsea’s next manager, says Martin Rogers of Yahoo! Sports via Twitter.
May 23, 2013, 9:54 PM EDT
Roberto Martinez has given himself more time to decide on his future at Wigan, and also gave them a wish list.
May 23, 2013, 8:44 PM EDT
Asmir Begovic is apparently intending on showing up at the door of another club to start training.
May 23, 2013, 7:16 PM EDT
AS Monaco, rich with the injection of money from a Russian tycoon, are set to make a huge splash, possibly as much as €70 million.
May 23, 2013, 6:35 PM EDT
The United States U-18 squad drew with the hosts in the middle of three group-stage matches during the 19th Annual Lisbon International Juniors Tournament.
May 23, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
20-year-old Jonathan Osorio picked up his debut call-up to the Canadian national team along with three other Toronto FC teammates ahead of their friendly against Costa Rica on Tuesday.
May 23, 2013, 5:11 PM EDT
“Football clubs live on and we’ll live on, we’ll move on.” They’ll move on, they have to. But will they effectively?
May 23, 2013, 3:56 PM EDT
With the upcoming Champions League final this weekend featuring an all-German cast, Germany secured another massive Champions League achievement today.
May 23, 2013, 3:33 PM EDT
Anyone else bothered by the way Bayern Munich have conducted themselves ahead of this Saturday’s Champions League final?
May 23, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
Sunderland’s central defender will say goodbye to the English Premier League in exchange for a switch stateside.
May 23, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
Chelsea fans will be delighted, while those supporting Manchester City are sure to question who’s on their team’s mind.
May 23, 2013, 1:37 PM EDT
Should the champions of the Europa League be awarded a spot in the following season’s Champions League?
May 23, 2013, 12:07 PM EDT
The city’s decision to permit Columbus to wear angers Espanyol fans, who believe Barca receives too much support from local institutions.
May 23, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
Despite notching an impressive 104 goals in 185 matches since moving to the Bernabeu in 2007, Higuain has struggled this season.
May 23, 2013, 10:04 AM EDT
With Arsenal rumored to be courting Swansea center-back Ashley Williams, Thomas Vermaelen has some decisions to make.
May 22, 2013, 11:51 PM EDT
Serie A’s two Milanese clubs have yet to move for new head coaches.
May 22, 2013, 11:06 PM EDT
Over the last three months, Rafa Benítez has reignited a floundering career.
May 22, 2013, 10:14 PM EDT
The hits just keep on coming for the NWSL’s hard-luck team.
May 22, 2013, 9:20 PM EDT
The U.S. Open Cup draws sometimes need a decoder ring to decipher. Here’s a quick-and-dirty look at the MLS teams’ futures.
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- Anyone else think Bayern Munich is playing dirty? 6
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 9
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC (9)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte