Apr 19, 2012, 8:28 AM EDT
Another kickoff. A few passes. Knock in a couple of goals. Deliver a couple of knocks. Notch another win. Move on.
It’s almost a little humdrum these days for wickedly effective Sporting Kansas City.
Wednesday’s trip into BC Place to face Martin Rennie’s resilient Vancouver Whitecaps figured to be Sporting’s toughest assignment yet. And, indeed, the Whitecaps pressed SKC’s defense like no others have this year. And by “press,” we mean: Sporting Kansas City allowed a goal and goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen actually had to break a sweat in his team’s 3-1 victory.
But Peter Vermes’ team was doing some pressing of its own on a night where the teams combined for 27 shots (9 on target). This wasn’t the best of matches – there were 27 fouls to go with the 27 shots, as SKC dates always lean toward the handsy and physical – but it wasn’t bad either.
So now the Midwesterners are 7-0-0, steamrolling right along. Let’s add some perspective to such a historic start.
- This is probably the best start in 17-years of Major League Soccer, even if it’s not statistically so. The L.A. Galaxy’s 12-0 launch back in 1996 included a shootout win. Plus, team strength varied wildly in those first weeks and months of a brand new league, so SKC’s achievement in 2012 comes in a completely different era, one leaps and bounds ahead of 1996 in terms of collective know-how and stability.
- Sporting’s +10 goal differential through seven games, extrapolated over an entire season, would fall in around +48 or +49. Will it stay there? Doubtful. But the club would easily set a league record by maintaining such an eye-popping sum.
- If you throw out the early years of wild-west, disparate team strengths, Real Salt Lake’s +25 in 2010 is the best goal difference of the last dozen years, and that one certainly could be in jeopardy.
- Two goals allowed, extrapolated over an entire season, would amount to fewer than 10. Again, that’s not going to happen. But just for the sake of perspective, Houston’s 2007 championship team set the standard, allowing 23 goals in 30 matches.
Next chance to upset the Sporting apple cart comes Saturday at Jeld-Wen Field, where Vermes’ team has little time for rest and regeneration ahead of the date against Portland.
Here are highlights of last night’s win at Vancouver:
Oct 25, 2014, 3:47 PM EDT
The L.A. Galaxy and Seattle Sounders are scoreless through 45 minutes at CenturyLink in Washington.
Oct 25, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Leeds United have fired manager Darko Milanic after only 32 days leading the squad.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
Several fun games whet the appetite for a massive top of table Sunday tilt between Bayern Munich and Borussia Monchengladbach.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:29 PM EDT
With six games on Saturday in the PL, here’s what happened.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Wilfried Bony scored both goals for Swans, 2-0, who cruised to the win against the suddenly-struggling Foxes.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT
Will the Sounders handle the Galaxy and expectations to clinch home-field throughout the playoffs?
Oct 25, 2014, 1:54 PM EDT
“Maybe they [Stoke] created two possibilities, not chances and that’s a great team effort,” Koeman said of his Saints.
Oct 25, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
Despite going behind earlier, Real came roaring back to win the first El Clasico of 2014-15.
Oct 25, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Watch and enjoy, then follow the second half live on NBC and online via Live Extra.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
Neymar and Ronaldo stealing the show so far, as four on yellows for Barca. Live updates, here:
Oct 25, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Pellegrini magnanimous in defeat, but City could be eight points off top spot by the end of the weekend.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
Reds thwarted by stubborn Tigers, as Balotelli fires a blank once again.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:04 PM EDT
West Brom won the shots battle 17-8 and carried nearly 70 percent of the possession by the time all was said and done.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
It was 1-0 at half, and it was all the Saints would need.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Arsenal make the most of awful errors from Sunderland.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
Eighth-place Swans will host the suddenly-struggling Foxes as both teams look to rebuild momentum after good starts to the season.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT
Follow El Clasico here with live updates, as Suarez starts with his four month ban over.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT
Watch the second half of every match live, right here.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Watch this hilarious video, as Brand gives Big Sam a smooch.
Oct 25, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Will Mario Balotelli score his first Premier League goal and get Liverpool going? Watch live, here.
- LIVE ON NBC: Scoreless half has Seattle 45 mins from Supporters Shield 0
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Watch Live: Seattle Sounders vs. L.A. Galaxy (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real fight back to seal El Clasico victory 1
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 2