Apr 19, 2012, 8:28 AM EST
Another kickoff. A few passes. Knock in a couple of goals. Deliver a couple of knocks. Notch another win. Move on.
It’s almost a little humdrum these days for wickedly effective Sporting Kansas City.
Wednesday’s trip into BC Place to face Martin Rennie’s resilient Vancouver Whitecaps figured to be Sporting’s toughest assignment yet. And, indeed, the Whitecaps pressed SKC’s defense like no others have this year. And by “press,” we mean: Sporting Kansas City allowed a goal and goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen actually had to break a sweat in his team’s 3-1 victory.
But Peter Vermes’ team was doing some pressing of its own on a night where the teams combined for 27 shots (9 on target). This wasn’t the best of matches – there were 27 fouls to go with the 27 shots, as SKC dates always lean toward the handsy and physical – but it wasn’t bad either.
So now the Midwesterners are 7-0-0, steamrolling right along. Let’s add some perspective to such a historic start.
- This is probably the best start in 17-years of Major League Soccer, even if it’s not statistically so. The L.A. Galaxy’s 12-0 launch back in 1996 included a shootout win. Plus, team strength varied wildly in those first weeks and months of a brand new league, so SKC’s achievement in 2012 comes in a completely different era, one leaps and bounds ahead of 1996 in terms of collective know-how and stability.
- Sporting’s +10 goal differential through seven games, extrapolated over an entire season, would fall in around +48 or +49. Will it stay there? Doubtful. But the club would easily set a league record by maintaining such an eye-popping sum.
- If you throw out the early years of wild-west, disparate team strengths, Real Salt Lake’s +25 in 2010 is the best goal difference of the last dozen years, and that one certainly could be in jeopardy.
- Two goals allowed, extrapolated over an entire season, would amount to fewer than 10. Again, that’s not going to happen. But just for the sake of perspective, Houston’s 2007 championship team set the standard, allowing 23 goals in 30 matches.
Next chance to upset the Sporting apple cart comes Saturday at Jeld-Wen Field, where Vermes’ team has little time for rest and regeneration ahead of the date against Portland.
Here are highlights of last night’s win at Vancouver:
Dec 18, 2014, 11:50 PM EST
Luke Shaw is ready to make his return after nearly a month out of action.
Dec 18, 2014, 10:21 PM EST
Mix Diskerud is on the move, and he may be headed south of the border.
Dec 18, 2014, 9:14 PM EST
Chicharito isn’t getting games for Real Madrid, but his agent insists he won’t end his loan deal early.
Dec 18, 2014, 7:46 PM EST
It may be 14 years after the fact, but Paul Scholes is owning up to his fault in one of the greatest goals of all-time.
Dec 18, 2014, 6:20 PM EST
Inspired by Monday’s loss, the USWNT were out for vengeance — and goals — against Argentina.
Dec 18, 2014, 4:36 PM EST
Find out who went where in Stage 2 of the MLS Re-Entry Draft on Thursday.
Dec 18, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
As we head into the busy festive season, here’s how the rankings of power look before Week 17.
Dec 18, 2014, 2:46 PM EST
Winger set to return to full training, may return to action this Sunday at Anfield.
Dec 18, 2014, 2:11 PM EST
Germany end 2014 on top, as the USMNT sit steady inside the top 30.
Dec 18, 2014, 1:26 PM EST
Balotelli will now miss Liverpool’s match against Arsenal this weekend.
Dec 18, 2014, 12:45 PM EST
Rogers worries about anti-gay laws in Russia, Qatar during World Cup tournaments.
Dec 18, 2014, 11:46 AM EST
Scunthorpe win 14-13 on penalty kicks… really?
Dec 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Klinsmann’s son make six saves, but gets second-yellow as youth side beat Germany.
Dec 18, 2014, 10:17 AM EST
USMNT attacker heading back to MLS.
Dec 18, 2014, 8:50 AM EST
Vegas, baby! New soccer stadium gets seal of approval from city council… all they need now is an MLS expansion franchise.
Dec 18, 2014, 8:19 AM EST
Reus has been speeding around in his Aston Martin without a license. Gets biggest motoring fine in German history.
Dec 18, 2014, 7:54 AM EST
Dig into all the latest gossip, right here.
Dec 17, 2014, 11:13 PM EST
Could Cole be returning to the Premier League?
Dec 17, 2014, 10:35 PM EST
Bad jokes make Christmas.
Dec 17, 2014, 10:10 PM EST
- Paul Scholes: Thierry Henry’s legendary goal vs. Man United was my fault 2
- Premier League Power Rankings: Arsenal, Everton rising, Saints falling 2
- Robbie Rogers: FIFA “insane” to host World Cups in Russia, Qatar 5
- Stoke City confirm Brek Shea is finalizing move to Orlando City 1
- Soccer stadium approved in Las Vegas, as MLS expansion talk heats up in Sin City 3
- Borussia Dortmund’s Marco Reus fined $665,000 for driving without a license 1