Apr 19, 2012, 6:30 AM EDT
What we’re thinking, what we’re watching, what’s coming on the blog today and the RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day). Setting up your day in soccer …
Birthdays of note: It’s a big day for goalkeepers. Manchester City and England backstopper Joe Hart turns 25. Closer to home, former Toronto FC and New York Red Bulls goalkeeper Greg Sutton, now with the Montreal Impact, turns 35. Also, former England great Trevor Francis (not a ‘keeper) turns 58 and former Brazilian great Rivaldo turns 40.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Tony Chursky
Ahead on the blog today: Rafa Marquez suspension talk (It’s bound to come down today, right?), and, since it’s seems to be a day for goalkeepers, we’ll rank the men in goal in Major League Soccer.
Twitter daps: Red Bulls and U.S. national team striker Juan Agudelo (@juanagudelo17), having a weak moment: “Trying to stop my hand from putting girls scout cookies in my mouth. #problems”
PST background noise while blogging today: Podcasts. Lots of soccer podcasts.
We’ll leave you with this: Best save ever? You’ve heard of this one, right? It’s Gordon Banks (some call him the best ever) saving off of Pele in the 1970 World Cup:
- NWSL Digest: Reign, Flash flying as we move from past Week 1 0
- Henry, Sam goals see New York break into the win column 0
- Real Madrid beat Barcelona to win Copa del Rey, as Bale’s brilliance seals it 2
- It’s official: Atlanta gets Major League Soccer’s 22nd franchise 1
- Manchester City 2-2 Sunderland: Two Wickham goals, late Nasri equalizer leave sides even (video) 3
- Everton 2-3 Crystal Palace: Toffees’ top four hopes take huge hit 6