Apr 19, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Before we get to the Clint Dempsey news of the day, a bit of background on the source:
This story comes from the Sun. Where does this London-based publication rank on the scale of the reputable?
Well, if the most venerable of UK media outlets were high-end steakhouses, the Sun would be Jack in the Box. (No disrespect; love the Jack commercials and all. Great facial expressions on the big-headed boss.)
The newspaper has long been on the short side of honored journalism. Its current worried state is tied into Rupert Murdoch and his troubles, phone hacking and journalists being carted away by police and all. So, take the latest Dempsey dip for what you will.
The Sun says Italian club Roma is interested in the American goal scorer who has probably outgrown cozy Craven Cottage. The price quoted is about $10.5 million, escalating the previous (probably completely arbitrary) UK media guestimate of $10 million.
Dempsey in Serie A? Sure, why not? He’s got the physical presence and the edgy bite required for any chance of Serie A success. Roma fits the bill as a team that could possibly wander into Champions League soccer, although the Rome outfit is now holding onto the fifth Serie A spot and the Europa League berth attached. (Dempsey has been in Europa League competition before, with Fulham.)
It’s not inconceivable that Roma could make up four points on Lazio, climbing into a Champions League qualifier spot for the 2012-13 season. That might be important in the Texan’s looming decision, because if Dempsey is going to move his career and his family to the continent, it might not make sense to do so for a tournament (Europa League) that he’s already stamped on his soccer passport.
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago