Apr 19, 2012, 10:15 AM EST
Before we get to the Clint Dempsey news of the day, a bit of background on the source:
This story comes from the Sun. Where does this London-based publication rank on the scale of the reputable?
Well, if the most venerable of UK media outlets were high-end steakhouses, the Sun would be Jack in the Box. (No disrespect; love the Jack commercials and all. Great facial expressions on the big-headed boss.)
The newspaper has long been on the short side of honored journalism. Its current worried state is tied into Rupert Murdoch and his troubles, phone hacking and journalists being carted away by police and all. So, take the latest Dempsey dip for what you will.
The Sun says Italian club Roma is interested in the American goal scorer who has probably outgrown cozy Craven Cottage. The price quoted is about $10.5 million, escalating the previous (probably completely arbitrary) UK media guestimate of $10 million.
Dempsey in Serie A? Sure, why not? He’s got the physical presence and the edgy bite required for any chance of Serie A success. Roma fits the bill as a team that could possibly wander into Champions League soccer, although the Rome outfit is now holding onto the fifth Serie A spot and the Europa League berth attached. (Dempsey has been in Europa League competition before, with Fulham.)
It’s not inconceivable that Roma could make up four points on Lazio, climbing into a Champions League qualifier spot for the 2012-13 season. That might be important in the Texan’s looming decision, because if Dempsey is going to move his career and his family to the continent, it might not make sense to do so for a tournament (Europa League) that he’s already stamped on his soccer passport.
Dec 9, 2013, 7:30 PM EST
Round 15’s Team of the Week includes a throwback man in John Arne Riise:
Dec 9, 2013, 6:52 PM EST
FC Dallas had a busy day … but, uh, who is going to coach the team?
Dec 9, 2013, 6:32 PM EST
Martin Rogers of Yahoo! Sports talks about Arsenal, Manchester United and more:
Dec 9, 2013, 5:48 PM EST
One versus England potentially being arranged in Miami? And another against Canada ahead of next year’s World Cup?
Dec 9, 2013, 4:59 PM EST
Hull pick up a valuable road point as Swansea’s season of missed opportunities at home continues:
Dec 9, 2013, 3:59 PM EST
Major League Soccer has been steadfast on this one all along:
Dec 9, 2013, 2:48 PM EST
Can the Swans surge back into the top 10? Watch live on NBCSN:
Dec 9, 2013, 2:29 PM EST
We caught up with ‘beardless’ Howard after his impressive outing vs. Arsenal. Here’s what he had to say:
Dec 9, 2013, 1:27 PM EST
With a shortlist of over 50 names to choose from, what is your current best starting XI in world soccer?
Dec 9, 2013, 12:59 PM EST
With Michu in-line to return, could the Swans blow the Tigers away?
Dec 9, 2013, 12:06 PM EST
Moyes takes the blame but how much longer can he take the flack for his under-performing stars?
Dec 9, 2013, 11:20 AM EST
Do the Gunners have themselves to blame? Or were the Toffees just too good?
Dec 9, 2013, 9:48 AM EST
Shock horror, Ronaldo and Messi go head-to-head for Ballon d’Or….
Dec 9, 2013, 9:14 AM EST
Ex-Premier League striker among those questioned as investigation continues:
Dec 9, 2013, 7:49 AM EST
Who gets your vote? Sit back, relax and watch some stunners from Osvaldo, Assaidi, Cabaye and others:
Dec 8, 2013, 11:54 PM EST
The one commonality among both stars’ groups: Almost none of their opponents have good defensive records.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:48 PM EST
Unbeaten in three, Spurs have turned things around since their loss at Manchester City.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:44 PM EST
KANSAS CITY, Kan. — The difference between missed opportunities and bad luck.
Dec 8, 2013, 8:45 PM EST
Fulham decided it early against Aston Villa, while Giroud was denied late at The Emirates.
Dec 8, 2013, 7:40 PM EST
KANSAS CITY, Kan. — Collin, Feilhaber, Findley and Schuler may have changed the way we see their careers.
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors (video) 0
- Tim Howard on his stunning display vs. Arsenal, Everton’s good form, tough draw for USA 0
- David Moyes takes “complete responsibility” for Manchester United’s shocking start 2
- Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Franck Ribery to battle it out for Ballon d’Or 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014
- Looking at El Tri’s World Cup Opponents