Apr 20, 2012, 11:40 AM EDT
Vancouver Whitecaps manager Martin Rennie says it’s time to break the glass on his bench. His team plays on Saturday for the second time in four days – and for the second time on that spongy, zip-sapping artificial turf at BC Place.
That’s not to mention that the Whitecaps have been outscored 6-2 in their last pair. And this little matter of finding goal just five times in eight matches is distressing, to say the least.
So now there’s talk of resting DP striker Eric Hassli or possible playing young attacker Omar Salgado.
And that makes me wonder …
Should we start seeing a little more of Salgado, the No. 1 pick from Major League Soccer’s 2011 draft?
Yes, he’s quite young, still only 18. On the other hand, Juan Agudelo was playing regularly at 18. Plenty of others were contributing regularly by that age, including the likes of Justin Mapp, Bobby Convey and Eddie Gaven.
Obviously, not everyone can make the game-day 18 or the starting 11 before they near 20 years old. But Salgado, presumably, is no ordinary MLS man – otherwise he wouldn’t have been the top draft pick 14 months ago.
He was always talked about as a “project,” so no need to lose our heads and sound alarm bells just because Salgado hasn’t turned MLS on its head just yet. On the other hand, just 11 minutes so far in 2012?
I’m just wondering if we should start watching this one a little closer?
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 12
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 34
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 7
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (14)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (12)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team