Apr 20, 2012, 6:30 AM EST
What we’re thinking, what we’re watching, what’s coming on the blog today and the RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day). Setting up your day in soccer …
Birthday of note: The birthday run on famous goalkeepers continues: Aston Villa and Ireland international goalkeeper Shay Given turns 36. (For bonus points, name Given’s trusty backup at Villa Park. Hint: he used to be a Gamecock.)
What we should be watching on TV: Need a little more Mexican in your diet? Try Morelia-Atlanta, 9 p.m. on Fox Deportes. Or German? How about some German? Try Mainz-Wolfsburg at 2:30 p.m. on ESPN Deportes.
Ahead on the blog today: MLS expansion talk, a fresh opinion on Clint Dempsey and starting to look ahead to the weekend here and abroad.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Bruce Murray
Twitter daps: Nick Rimando (@NickRimando): “Nice little career for Frankie Hejduk to retire on. All the best to him in his next tubular adventure. Top dude!”
Peter Hirdt (@PeterHirdt): “Frankie Hejduk was one of 5 #USMNT players under Sampson, Arena & Bradley. The others: Keller, Lewis, Ralston, Corrales.”
PST background noise while blogging today: All those soccer podcasts I didn’t get around to yesterday. Darn you Rafa Marquez for dominating my day!
We’ll leave you with this: I ranked my top goalkeepers in Major League Soccer yesterday. It’s always fair to disagree. And I get that people are passionate about their clubs, which makes it impossible to be impartial. No worries there. But here’s the thing: everybody thinks their No. 1 belongs in the Top 5, at very least. But logically, that just cannot be the case. Right?
- VIDEO: PST Extra examines huge top four showdowns in Premier League 0
- Huge blow for Arsenal as Jack Wilshere is out for three months 0
- Bob Bradley talks Stabaek, job offers, offseason plans and more 0
- USA drop five places in latest FIFA world rankings; England on the up 1
- Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through 4
- Champions League roundup: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid through, tense elsewhere 3