Apr 20, 2012, 6:30 AM EST
What we’re thinking, what we’re watching, what’s coming on the blog today and the RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day). Setting up your day in soccer …
Birthday of note: The birthday run on famous goalkeepers continues: Aston Villa and Ireland international goalkeeper Shay Given turns 36. (For bonus points, name Given’s trusty backup at Villa Park. Hint: he used to be a Gamecock.)
What we should be watching on TV: Need a little more Mexican in your diet? Try Morelia-Atlanta, 9 p.m. on Fox Deportes. Or German? How about some German? Try Mainz-Wolfsburg at 2:30 p.m. on ESPN Deportes.
Ahead on the blog today: MLS expansion talk, a fresh opinion on Clint Dempsey and starting to look ahead to the weekend here and abroad.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Bruce Murray
Twitter daps: Nick Rimando (@NickRimando): “Nice little career for Frankie Hejduk to retire on. All the best to him in his next tubular adventure. Top dude!”
Peter Hirdt (@PeterHirdt): “Frankie Hejduk was one of 5 #USMNT players under Sampson, Arena & Bradley. The others: Keller, Lewis, Ralston, Corrales.”
PST background noise while blogging today: All those soccer podcasts I didn’t get around to yesterday. Darn you Rafa Marquez for dominating my day!
We’ll leave you with this: I ranked my top goalkeepers in Major League Soccer yesterday. It’s always fair to disagree. And I get that people are passionate about their clubs, which makes it impossible to be impartial. No worries there. But here’s the thing: everybody thinks their No. 1 belongs in the Top 5, at very least. But logically, that just cannot be the case. Right?
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors 0
- Tim Howard on his stunning display vs. Arsenal, Everton’s good form, tough draw for USA 0
- David Moyes takes “complete responsibility” for Manchester United’s shocking start 2
- Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Franck Ribery to battle it out for Ballon d’Or 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014
- Looking at El Tri’s World Cup Opponents