Apr 20, 2012, 5:10 PM EDT
What manager knows Clint Dempsey like former Revolution boss Steve Nicol?
Nicol drafted the unknown Texan out of a small school in South Carolina, then helped nurture him in Major League Soccer ahead of a critical 2007 move to Fulham.
Nicol spoke recently to Soccer Today on all things Dempsey, on whether the highly successful striker should move to a bigger club, on the reported transfer fee (that materialized out of media nowhere), on the man’s constant craving to achieve more, etc.
Full disclosure: Soccer Today is a radio show / podcast that I co-host along with ESPN pro basketball writer Marc Stein, who loves his soccer.
A couple of hot appetizers from Nicol’s interview:
Where Dempsey’s game has developed: “One of the first things that we said to Clint was ‘keep in simple.’ He had all these step-overs and all this other nonsense but he tended to use it at the wrong time and be kind of flashy. He’s totally gotten rid of all that. He gets it, keeps it simple, gets himself in the penalty box. It’s a simple game, and when you do the basics well, this is what happens.”
On the reported $16 million transfer fee: “I’m not quite sure where that figure came from. But if that’s what it takes, one of the bigger clubs should bite their hand off.”
(In 100 percent honesty, I don’t know what that means. I think I know but sure couldn’t swear on it.)
On whether Dempsey can work at a bigger club: “The way teams set up now, particularly the big teams, it’s all about one guy up front and getting midfielders to crash into the box, and that just suits his game down the ground.”
So, what does Nicol believe Dempsey should do? Stay at Craven Cottage? Move on? Call his mom ? (He does, by the way). Well, we should certainly leave something for the interview. (Nicol’s bit is at the 30:30 mark of the link.)
- Bayern Munich finish German season 25 points ahead of Borussia Dortmund 0
- England’s top four: Games that matter in the English Premier League’s last round 0
- Jamie Carragher set to close out his 16-year career at Anfield 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Washington Spirit at Portland Thorns FC 1
- Something in common for Jurgen Klinsmann, Alex Ferguson 1
- Watch Live: Red Wings at Blackhawks
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- LIVE: Third round of the HP Byron Nelson Championship
- LIVE: Day 1 of Indy 500 Qualifying
- LIVE: Action from Hangtown Motocross Classic
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago