Apr 21, 2012, 10:38 PM EDT
Man of the Match: This was a breakout for Eddie Gaven. Playing along the left, he was alive all night as Columbus’ best midfielder. And his lash from about 25 yards for Columbus’ second goal left Houston ‘keeper Tally Hall with absolutely no chance.
Packaged for take-away:
- This was a classic example of how one goal changes the game. First half: Not a bunch going on as two sides focused on tidy defensive organization and on being physical more or less snuffed out any attacking dynamic. There were a couple of half chances on restarts and a couple of breakouts, but some shoddy service and a few half chances was more or less the extent of the attacking.
- After the first goal (in the 59th minute) this was a pretty entertaining match, with lots going on around both goal mouths.
- Following another poor match last week, Crew coach Robert Warzycha changed out almost have his starters (5 of 11).
- Emelio Renteria was very busy, always available as a highly stationed striker. His crosses or his choices weren’t always the best, but he did make everyone along the Dynamo back line work until he got pooped himself and left in the 67th.
- Josh Williams took over for struggling youngster Eric Gehrig as Chad Marshall’s central defensive partner. Williams got physically overmatched at times, so he’ll need to better pick his spots on when to challenge and when to hold position. Otherwise: not bad.
- It was a tough match to officiate involving two physical teams; that said, referee Chris Penso needed to deal with the rough stuff with a little more authority. Sometimes it’s not about issuing cards, but about setting a tone by talking to players and letting them know what will and won’t be tolerated.
- Geoff Cameron didn’t have his best match, but Bobby Boswell was at the top of his game, almost always in the right spots in this one.
- Eight points from a possible 15 on the road so far from Houston? Yeah, they’ll take that.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
City storming towards their first UCL win of the season in snowy Moscow.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
Is it enough to tip the scales for Liverpool, or will one of Real’s bevy of offensive stars step in to help stop the Reds’ European hopes?
Oct 21, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
A final week La Liga match in 2011 has been under investigation for a while, and now former Real Zaragoza player Herrera is under scrutiny.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT
A trio of Columbus players joins a regular New England nominee to battle names like Barnes, Martins and Husidic for our weekly honors.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:08 AM EDT
Find out which players were selected for the Round 8 team of the week in the Premier League.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
Harold Mayne-Nicholls’ plan would be a boon for US television viewers, but would it sit well with the players?
Oct 21, 2014, 7:38 AM EDT
‘Twas an easy decision for the awards-givers this week, as Sergio Aguero struck not once, not twice, not thrice, but four times.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:10 AM EDT
Paderborn hasn’t stopped winning or scoring insane goals, if you haven’t noticed.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
Actor Mark Consuelos made his way to the Crap Part of Soho while the Men In Blazers tried to keep the ball out of their own net.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:47 PM EDT
Bayern Munich have a very difficult match on the road in Italy, while other matchups in Spain, Russia, and Germany will all prove enjoyable.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:28 PM EDT
Meghan Klingenberg bagged a laser beam for her first US goal and Abby Wambach grabbed two as the Americans will move on to the semifinals.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
Manchester Police confirmed a man was arrested after flying a drone over the match that entertained 45,000 people.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Aron Johannsson bagged a penalty in his return from groin surgery, while Juan Agudelo continues to search for a new club.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Adel Taarabt says the harsh words from manager Harry Redknapp are not only untrue but damaging as a professional.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:16 PM EDT
The New York Cosmos completed a massive signing, beating out a few of his former clubs to nab the Spanish legend as a player and coach.
Oct 20, 2014, 5:36 PM EDT
Despite a solid confirmation from Croatia, the friendly will reportedly not be happening.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT
Manchester United came from behind twice but still must settle for a disappointing result away from home.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:35 PM EDT
19-year-old Lazio striker Keita Balde Diao somehow walked away from what looks to be a major accident. His Lamborghini, however, didn’t.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Unruly fans will cost Wales and Galatasary as UEFA continues to crack down on off-the-pitch incidents.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
The yearly tournament organizes five-a-side matches for people that are homeless or living in extreme poverty.
- PST’s MLS Player of the Week: Heavy on Eastern Conference nominees 0
- Premier League player of the week – Round 8 0
- USWNT 6-0 Haiti: Wambach braces US in 90 minute demolition of Haiti 1
- New York Cosmos reportedly sign Spanish legend Raul, will play and coach 0
- Report: It will be Colombia – not Croatia – for USMNT in November 0
- WATCH: West Brom 2-2 Manchester United: Blind earns draw for Red Devils on road 3