Apr 21, 2012, 10:38 PM EDT
Man of the Match: This was a breakout for Eddie Gaven. Playing along the left, he was alive all night as Columbus’ best midfielder. And his lash from about 25 yards for Columbus’ second goal left Houston ‘keeper Tally Hall with absolutely no chance.
Packaged for take-away:
- This was a classic example of how one goal changes the game. First half: Not a bunch going on as two sides focused on tidy defensive organization and on being physical more or less snuffed out any attacking dynamic. There were a couple of half chances on restarts and a couple of breakouts, but some shoddy service and a few half chances was more or less the extent of the attacking.
- After the first goal (in the 59th minute) this was a pretty entertaining match, with lots going on around both goal mouths.
- Following another poor match last week, Crew coach Robert Warzycha changed out almost have his starters (5 of 11).
- Emelio Renteria was very busy, always available as a highly stationed striker. His crosses or his choices weren’t always the best, but he did make everyone along the Dynamo back line work until he got pooped himself and left in the 67th.
- Josh Williams took over for struggling youngster Eric Gehrig as Chad Marshall’s central defensive partner. Williams got physically overmatched at times, so he’ll need to better pick his spots on when to challenge and when to hold position. Otherwise: not bad.
- It was a tough match to officiate involving two physical teams; that said, referee Chris Penso needed to deal with the rough stuff with a little more authority. Sometimes it’s not about issuing cards, but about setting a tone by talking to players and letting them know what will and won’t be tolerated.
- Geoff Cameron didn’t have his best match, but Bobby Boswell was at the top of his game, almost always in the right spots in this one.
- Eight points from a possible 15 on the road so far from Houston? Yeah, they’ll take that.
Aug 1, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
The new seasons in Germany and France are underway following an afternoon full of Super Cup action.
Aug 1, 2015, 4:29 PM EDT
It’s not been the greatest week of Miguel Herrera’s life. He’s in legal trouble yet again.
Aug 1, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
Another wild afternoon at Yankee Stadium ends in defeat for NYCFC. Pirlo made his first MLS start and Lampard made his MLS debut.
Aug 1, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
Can Spurs crack the top four? Or will it be another season on the outside looking in at White Hart Lane?
Aug 1, 2015, 1:50 PM EDT
Wenger has never beaten Mourinho before, but he’ll have a chance to do so tomorrow in the Community Shield.
Aug 1, 2015, 12:56 PM EDT
Rodgers better hope his “bargain” buy scores a lot of goals for Liverpool this season.
Aug 1, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Coming off of their best-ever Premier League finish, Garry Monk has the Swans thinking about bringing European football to Wales.
Aug 1, 2015, 11:04 AM EDT
He still played in Shakhtar’s Champions League match this week, which could cause his club some troubles.
Aug 1, 2015, 10:07 AM EDT
Is Dimitar Berbatov on his way back to the Premier League? All the latest gossip, right here.
Aug 1, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
In both of Watford’s two seasons in the Premier League, the club finished in last place. Can the newly promoted Hornets avoid relegation the third time around?
Aug 1, 2015, 8:15 AM EDT
A big blow for the Hammers as the Premier League kicks off a week from today.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:52 PM EDT
The leaked images of United’s kit were the real McCoy, and the Red Devils white-cuffed kits are pretty sharp.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:09 PM EDT
What’s 5,000 or so miles amongst fans?
Jul 31, 2015, 8:14 PM EDT
Guardiola can erase a minor Bayern demon with his first Super Cup win on Saturday versus Wolfsburg.
Jul 31, 2015, 7:08 PM EDT
In the PDL, Seattle Sounders U-23, New York Red Bulls U-23, K-W United and Ocala Stampede are left, while the NPSL has New York Cosmos B, Chattanooga FC, Indiana Fire and CD Aguiluchos USA remaining.
Jul 31, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
Arsenal looks to win its second-straight Community Shield, something that only Manchester United has been able to do since 2000.
Jul 31, 2015, 6:03 PM EDT
Dick Advocaat is hoping familiarity will combine with a couple buys to help Sunderland avoid a relegation fight for the 1st time in a while.
Jul 31, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
In a BBC feature, Bill Peterson makes it clear he thinks the desire for pro/rel is real.
Jul 31, 2015, 4:41 PM EDT
Johannsson had already said he wants to play Stateside in “his prime”, but a Yahoo Sports report said his desires have obstacles.
Jul 31, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT
The Lions will continue to play at the Citrus Bowl until the new venue is completed.
- Wolfsburg, PSG knock off Bayern Munich, Lyon in German, French Super Cups (video) 0
- MLS Snapshot: New York City FC 2-3 Montreal Impact (video) 0
- Brendan Rodgers says $50 million for Christian Benteke was a bargain 0
- Saturday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Berbatov to Villa, Rahman to Chelsea 1
- Manchester United, adidas unveil kits with “smashing” photos 4
- Pep Guardiola on final year of contract: “Not completely convinced” he’s right for Bayern 1