Apr 21, 2012, 10:38 PM EDT
Man of the Match: This was a breakout for Eddie Gaven. Playing along the left, he was alive all night as Columbus’ best midfielder. And his lash from about 25 yards for Columbus’ second goal left Houston ‘keeper Tally Hall with absolutely no chance.
Packaged for take-away:
- This was a classic example of how one goal changes the game. First half: Not a bunch going on as two sides focused on tidy defensive organization and on being physical more or less snuffed out any attacking dynamic. There were a couple of half chances on restarts and a couple of breakouts, but some shoddy service and a few half chances was more or less the extent of the attacking.
- After the first goal (in the 59th minute) this was a pretty entertaining match, with lots going on around both goal mouths.
- Following another poor match last week, Crew coach Robert Warzycha changed out almost have his starters (5 of 11).
- Emelio Renteria was very busy, always available as a highly stationed striker. His crosses or his choices weren’t always the best, but he did make everyone along the Dynamo back line work until he got pooped himself and left in the 67th.
- Josh Williams took over for struggling youngster Eric Gehrig as Chad Marshall’s central defensive partner. Williams got physically overmatched at times, so he’ll need to better pick his spots on when to challenge and when to hold position. Otherwise: not bad.
- It was a tough match to officiate involving two physical teams; that said, referee Chris Penso needed to deal with the rough stuff with a little more authority. Sometimes it’s not about issuing cards, but about setting a tone by talking to players and letting them know what will and won’t be tolerated.
- Geoff Cameron didn’t have his best match, but Bobby Boswell was at the top of his game, almost always in the right spots in this one.
- Eight points from a possible 15 on the road so far from Houston? Yeah, they’ll take that.
Apr 27, 2015, 2:18 PM EDT
The 29-year-old Belgian center back joins a unit which has conceded just 19 goals in La Liga play, the best total in the league by six goals.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:35 PM EDT
Hazard is now the PFA’s reigning Player of the Year. We doubt very much this video will make his peers think they voted incorrectly.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:16 PM EDT
Backup keeper Erik Kronberg is ineligible for the competition since he was a part of Sporting KC earlier in the tournament.
Apr 27, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT
The headlines aren’t being kind to Newcastle on Monday morning, and it seems their manager is sick of his players’ performance and grief from supporters.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:08 AM EDT
True to form, the West is leading. Perhaps not to expectations, but leading nonetheless.
Apr 27, 2015, 10:35 AM EDT
PST’s Lead Writer and Editor takes an alternative look at Week 34 in the PL.
Apr 27, 2015, 10:10 AM EDT
Find out which club put forth a performance that was second to none in Round 34 of the Premier League.
MLS official squashes rumor of emergency intra-MLS goalkeeper loan for CONCACAF Champions League final
Apr 27, 2015, 9:21 AM EDT
A potential week-long loan of Chicago Fire goalkeeper Sean Johnson to the Montreal Impact for this Wednesday’s second leg of the CONCACAF Champions League final against Club America is not going to happen.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:35 AM EDT
Find out whose star shone above the rest in the Premier League this weekend.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:08 AM EDT
Elton John. American skippers and Harry Potter. Get to know the Hornets ahead of their PL return.
Apr 27, 2015, 7:50 AM EDT
Sturridge and Luis Suarez registered 52 PL goals last season. Liverpool as a team has 47 this season.
Apr 26, 2015, 11:50 PM EDT
Final: Sounders 1-0 Timbers
Apr 26, 2015, 10:21 PM EDT
Roundup of La Liga and Serie A competition from Sunday.
Apr 26, 2015, 9:21 PM EDT
Final: Orlando City 0-2 Toronto FC
Apr 26, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
Watch the Premier League highlights from Sunday’s matches.
Apr 26, 2015, 7:18 PM EDT
Final: New York Red Bulls 1-1 LA Galaxy
Apr 26, 2015, 6:24 PM EDT
Who took the PFA prizes today?
Apr 26, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Louis van Gaal unaware of the seriousness of Wayne Rooney’s injury sustained during a 3-0 loss to Everton.
Apr 26, 2015, 4:40 PM EDT
Bayern Munich will enjoy the title as Germany’s best once again.
Apr 26, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Sunderland midfielder Connor Wickham is eyeing Premier League survival as the last month of the 2014-15 season arrives.
- Not even allowed an appeal: CONCACAF confirms Bush suspension for Champions League final 0
- Premier League Playback: Chelsea brilliant, not boring, as title inches closer 0
- MLS official squashes rumor of emergency intra-MLS goalkeeper loan for CONCACAF Champions League final 9
- VIDEO: Premier League Player of the Week — Round 34 0
- Jose Mourinho, once again, wins tactical battle against Arsene Wenger 3
- Three things we learned from Arsenal vs. Chelsea 12