Apr 21, 2012, 10:38 PM EDT
Man of the Match: This was a breakout for Eddie Gaven. Playing along the left, he was alive all night as Columbus’ best midfielder. And his lash from about 25 yards for Columbus’ second goal left Houston ‘keeper Tally Hall with absolutely no chance.
Packaged for take-away:
- This was a classic example of how one goal changes the game. First half: Not a bunch going on as two sides focused on tidy defensive organization and on being physical more or less snuffed out any attacking dynamic. There were a couple of half chances on restarts and a couple of breakouts, but some shoddy service and a few half chances was more or less the extent of the attacking.
- After the first goal (in the 59th minute) this was a pretty entertaining match, with lots going on around both goal mouths.
- Following another poor match last week, Crew coach Robert Warzycha changed out almost have his starters (5 of 11).
- Emelio Renteria was very busy, always available as a highly stationed striker. His crosses or his choices weren’t always the best, but he did make everyone along the Dynamo back line work until he got pooped himself and left in the 67th.
- Josh Williams took over for struggling youngster Eric Gehrig as Chad Marshall’s central defensive partner. Williams got physically overmatched at times, so he’ll need to better pick his spots on when to challenge and when to hold position. Otherwise: not bad.
- It was a tough match to officiate involving two physical teams; that said, referee Chris Penso needed to deal with the rough stuff with a little more authority. Sometimes it’s not about issuing cards, but about setting a tone by talking to players and letting them know what will and won’t be tolerated.
- Geoff Cameron didn’t have his best match, but Bobby Boswell was at the top of his game, almost always in the right spots in this one.
- Eight points from a possible 15 on the road so far from Houston? Yeah, they’ll take that.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT
You can watch the match live on NBCSN or online via Live Extra.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:51 PM EDT
Neil Warnock could be answering to a new boss if American billionaire Josh Harris purchases Palace.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Jose Carlos Rivero was charged with two felonies earlier this month but continued to work games for the MLS.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
The New York Red Bulls made a young girl’s dream come true as she signed a one-day contract with her favorite team.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
Watch the Black Cats host the Gunners at 9:45 a.m. ET online via Live Extra.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
UEFA handed Serbia a 3-0 win but deducted points after their match against Albania was called off due to violence.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT
The former England captain and Manchester United legend plans to retire after his season at QPR.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Watch as Leicester City travels to Liberty Stadium tomorrow live on NBC at 12:30 p.m. ET.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
Pogba broke through with 9 goals and 10 assists across all competitions for Juventus last season and a goal and assist at the World Cup.
A coach tells a fan tells a ticket rep… How soccer fans and the Red Bulls created this adorable goal video
Oct 24, 2014, 2:26 PM EDT
It’s a little dusty in here. Godspeed, Irelyn. May a cure be found in short order!
Oct 24, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
It’s going to be ugly and we’re going to shake our heads. Some will feign shock. And the whole cycle will repeat itself again at Barcelona.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Here’s how PST’s editor and lead writer sees things panning out this weekend.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Perhaps a respite for Tim Howard and Brad Guzan, as their clubs face lesser competition this week in Burnley and QPR, respectively.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Where and how to watch every game during Week 9 of the PL.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
It’s a top-four battle — no, seriously — as Manchester City rolls into Upton Park to take on Sam Allardyce’s West Ham United.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Who makes the cut as MLS players deserving of a look at USMNT camp?
Oct 24, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT
An all-MLS final appearance is impossible thanks to seeding, and Montreal and DC can only face-off if they win in the quarterfinals this winter.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:38 AM EDT
The purpose of the show is for the Robbies to hear from the fans on this call-in show, so dial 855-323-4622 and have your say.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
El Clasico is upon us, and my goodness will it be a doozy between Real Madrid and Barcelona on Saturday at the Bernabeu.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:31 AM EDT
French police had arrested a man for selling drugs, according to the BBC, and that earned the ire of already on-edge Everton supporters.
- Premier League Preview: Sunderland vs. Arsenal 0
- Still defending racial incident, seething at bite talk, Suarez returns for Barcelona 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks – Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 9 1
- Introducing: “The 2 Robbies ‘Football’ Show” on NBCSportsRadio.com 0
- El Clasico: Luis Suarez, Barcelona and Real Madrid together at last 0