Apr 21, 2012, 6:09 PM EST
Man of the Match: Quite a few credible performances to choose from, including Sabastian Grazzini, who ably ran the Fire attack, and Dominic Oduro, who had a goal and an assist. But we’ll select Patrick Nyarko, who also had a goal and assist, and whose classy second-half finish proved the game-winner.
Packaged for take-away:
- Oduro’s goal for Chicago after 25 seconds was the fastest yet for the Fire and fifth fastest in MLS history.
- Toronto’s two best starters combined to foul up the afternoon just 25 seconds in Saturday. Goalkeeper Milos Kocik probably had better options than laying the ball at Torsten Frings’ feet with pressure afoot left and right of the veteran German. Still, a player of Frings’ experience should understand the danger and could presumably deal with the situation adequately without turning the moment into a fiasco. So, plenty of blame to go around on that one.
- Chicago center back Jalil Anibaba continues to show he has lots of potential. The communication between he and veteran Arne Friedrich was better Saturday than in their first match as a pairing. Let’s see if Friedrich can mentor Anibaba the way, say, Gregg Berhalter once successfully mentored a young Omar Gonzalez.
- There is no defensive order to TFC’s 3-4-3 arrangement. And the side looks even more disorganized exiting out of the back of that formation. As for commitment to the 3-4-3 …
- If the 3-4-3 is really the best formation for Toronto, then why shift radically into a 4-4-2 (with Frings and Julian de Guzman in the middle) after 60 minutes?
- After two quiet starts, Reggie Lambe’s bright work along TFC’s right side was a promising sign, never mind his two goals for the home side.
- As productive as Lambe was on offense, he the guilty party on Chicago’s second, losing Gonzalo Segares on a free kick that turned into an equalizer at a critical time, right before intermission and right after Toronto had taken a lead.
- That 40th minute goal from Lambe gave Toronto’s its first lead of 2012. Yes, that’s accurate.
- Chicago goalkeeper Sean Johnson, still with so much to learn, made two mistakes on Lambe’s second. He was barely challenged and yet decided to punch rather than catch a manageable ball at the 6. As Lambe collected his punch about 25 yards from goal, Johnson was poorly stationed about a step or step-and-a-half too far to his left, so he was in no position to deal with Lambe’s shot toward the near post.
- Things improved dramatically for Toronto once Frings moved into the midfield. (More on that later, in another PST post.)
- The loss certainly won’t fall at Frings’ or Ryan Johnson’s feet. Both TFC en came oh-so-close to late equalizers. More than that, both were pushing passionately for the late goal, leaving it all on the BMO grass.
Dec 12, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
Recovery timeline could leave Portland winger passed over by Costa Rica.
Dec 12, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Like other notable quality American outfielders (e.g. Clint Dempsey), Cameron is a late-developer who has really evolved.
Dec 12, 2013, 4:38 PM EST
D.C. United upgraded half their defense on Thursday. But what are they getting for the money?
Dec 12, 2013, 3:38 PM EST
We saw this coming. Portland traded up on Thursday to snare the former Zip.
Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018
Dec 12, 2013, 3:01 PM EST
Klinsmann’s signed up for another cycle, the U.S. hoping to extend its evolution beyond Brazil.
Dec 12, 2013, 2:01 PM EST
This marks the first time a Bundesliga club has played in the league’s summer showcase.
Dec 12, 2013, 1:05 PM EST
Two big questions this weekend: 1) Can Spurs stop Luis Suarez? and
2) Does City’s midfield rival that of Arsenal?
Dec 12, 2013, 10:26 AM EST
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, Young says, but “for me, the referees have made decisions and that’s it.”
Dec 12, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
Would Moyes really loan Zaha to a competitor like Everton or Newcastle?
Dec 12, 2013, 8:01 AM EST
When looking back at the biggest UK Twitter “surges” of 2013 there is one topic that dominates the landscape: footy.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:46 PM EST
You can’t been drawn against a team from your own federation – a rule that will hurt Arsenal, Manchester City on Monday.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 PM EST
The defenses need to get better in both places. A lot better:
No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11
Dec 11, 2013, 9:23 PM EST
A little social media brush fire over the new Miami expansion outfit was promptly, mercifully extinguished:
Dec 11, 2013, 8:33 PM EST
Highlights from all Wednesday’s games, which saw Barça’s newest start break out, Italy’s reigning champions eliminated.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:46 PM EST
Once you narrow the list to 15 or so, it’s nearly impossible to decide from there:
Dec 11, 2013, 6:59 PM EST
That assumes, of course, that the former U.S. manager was ever a serious candidate:
Dec 11, 2013, 6:11 PM EST
Tough draws await Arsenal, Manchester City in the knockout round.
Dec 11, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Demba Ba’s 10th minute goal was enough to give Chelsea Group E.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:47 PM EST
Brazilian star’s hat trick helps Barcelona rout Celtic, claim first in Group H.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:43 PM EST
One good club from Group F was bound to be odd team out on Wednesday as Champions League group play finished with a high-wire tension.
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 3
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- UK Twitter chat in 2013 dominated by soccer. Good thing or bad thing? 2
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 3
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint