Apr 22, 2012, 9:50 AM EDT
Last year we watched Jeff Cunningham, stuck on the Columbus Crew bench for most of the season, do just enough to creep ahead of Jaime Moreno has Major League Soccer’s all-time leading scorer.
But there’s long been a feeling that Moreno or Cunningham were just holding the spot anyway. Because Landon Donovan has been steadily, inexorably gaining ground all along.
Donovan hit for yet another last night in the Galaxy victory over Colorado. So this is where the chart sits on a Sunday morning.
- Jeff Cunningham, 134
- Jaime Moreno, 133
- Landon Donovan, 117
- Ante Razov, 114
- Jason Kreis, 108
Donovan, 30 years old, is the only active member of the top-five. Dwayne De Rosario (93 goals) and Edson Buddle (91) are the only scorers in the same ballpark. They sit at Nos. 7 and 8.
So perhaps Buddle, soon to turn 31, can get into the conversation at some point. De Rosario, who turns 34 next month, will probably see the shot clock run out on his efforts.
Donovan needs 18 goals to be The Man of all-time, MLS goal-scoring wise. Best guess (assuming he doesn’t go to Europe, a possibility that seems less likely each year now): he will be popping celebratory champagne corks sometime in mid- to late-season of 2013.
- Stock Falling: Which U.S. players’ statures are slipping … 2
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 1
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 2
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (29)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public