Apr 22, 2012, 9:50 AM EDT
Last year we watched Jeff Cunningham, stuck on the Columbus Crew bench for most of the season, do just enough to creep ahead of Jaime Moreno has Major League Soccer’s all-time leading scorer.
But there’s long been a feeling that Moreno or Cunningham were just holding the spot anyway. Because Landon Donovan has been steadily, inexorably gaining ground all along.
Donovan hit for yet another last night in the Galaxy victory over Colorado. So this is where the chart sits on a Sunday morning.
- Jeff Cunningham, 134
- Jaime Moreno, 133
- Landon Donovan, 117
- Ante Razov, 114
- Jason Kreis, 108
Donovan, 30 years old, is the only active member of the top-five. Dwayne De Rosario (93 goals) and Edson Buddle (91) are the only scorers in the same ballpark. They sit at Nos. 7 and 8.
So perhaps Buddle, soon to turn 31, can get into the conversation at some point. De Rosario, who turns 34 next month, will probably see the shot clock run out on his efforts.
Donovan needs 18 goals to be The Man of all-time, MLS goal-scoring wise. Best guess (assuming he doesn’t go to Europe, a possibility that seems less likely each year now): he will be popping celebratory champagne corks sometime in mid- to late-season of 2013.
- Arsenal midfielder Gedion Zelalem about to jump off the U.S. Soccer radar 4
- Stuart Holden out for 6-9 months, as serious injury hits U.S. international once again 3
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s failed UEFA Champions League campaign 1
- Battling Arsenal bow out, as Bayern Munich reach UEFA Champions League quarters after 1-1 draw (3-1, agg.) 0
- Two from Diego Costa help Atlético Madrid cruise past Milan in Champions League, 4-1 (5-1, agg.) 0
- ProSoccerTalk’s MLS Team of the Week – Week 1 0
- Sporting KC's Television Network Expands
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers