Apr 23, 2012, 9:10 AM EDT
What you need to know this morning about hat tricks and Chris Pontius, the D.C. United attacker who had one in Sunday’s 4-1 win over the New York Red Bulls.
Chris Pontius’ trio of goals Sunday against New York was Major League Soccer’s third hat trick this year. Seattle’s David Estrada hit one for Seattle and Thierry Henry claimed a threesome for his Red Bulls.
These aren’t exactly rare, but are hardly commonplace, either. Ten MLS hat tricks were recorded in 2011, including two apiece from D.C. United’s Dwayne De Rosario and Justin Braun (at Chivas USA then, now with Montreal.)
Back to Pontius: Sunday’s outburst was easily the young American’s best match since last September, when he had all three assists in a 3-0 win over Chivas USA. Of course, that was also the night he left with a broken tibia, not to return again until 2012. (United sorely missed its most reliable attacker through the 2011 season; The Black and Red’s season went into a death spiral from there and the club missed the playoffs yet again.)
Charlie Davies (remember him?) had the hat trick for United that night against Chivas USA. But they were fairly simple goals, mostly off the back-breaking hard work of Pontius, who really was soaring that night
And a little something on Pontius from United manager Ben Olsen, as told to the Washington Post: “He still doesn’t know how to play forward — that’s the scary thing. He’s still new at the position, and some of the movements can get a lot better, but three goals isn’t too bad.”
Enjoy video of the three goals (and shake your head in disgust at the absurd schoolboy defending on display from the visitors):
- USA can theoretically clinch a World Cup berth in next round 0
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team 8
- 2013/2014 Premier League fixtures released 1
- United States player ratings vs. Honduras 2
- What we learned from the U.S. World Cup qualifier win over Honduras 6
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public