Apr 24, 2012, 12:29 PM EST
12. Chicago Fire – Can anyone get too excited about a win at Toronto? Saturday’s 3-2 result falls under “getting the business done,” and fair enough for that. But if we’re looking for “quality wins,” then Pavel Pardo and Co. will have to keep scanning the MLS landscape. Three points this week over visiting Seattle would probably qualify.
11. FC Dallas – Schellas Hyndman’s team remains on the lookout for its first road points of 2012. The back spasms that made goalkeeper Kevin Hartman a late scratch last week must be concerning, although backup Chris Seitz was at no fault for the swell goal in Saturday’s 1-0 loss at Vancouver. Midfield reinforcements are on the way as Jackson has received his visa, but late this week is the earlier he’ll be seen around North Texas.
10. Los Angeles Galaxy – Things are definitely moving in the right direction for Bruce Arena’s team. The Galaxy didn’t look particularly great in the second half off last week’s 2-1 win at Colorado, but picking up points on the road is the mark of a good team, no matter the aesthetics. Landon Donovan and Mike Magee stood out in the win (along with Josh Saunders’ late heroics), and David Beckham was at his finger-wagging, PK-delaying best; His stalling prior to the late, controversial penalty kick was classic stuff – and his improving play on the field was a boon, too.
9. D.C. United – What a crew of young attackers Ben Olsen now has at his choosing – not to mention one crackerjack of a veteran scorer/creator in Dwayne De Rosario. Between Chris Pontius, Andy Najar, Danny Cruz and early Rookie of the Year candidate Nick DeLeon, Olsen hardly needs those two DPs who can’t seem to find their MLS feet. United leap-frogged the Red Bulls into second place in the East with that 4-1 thrashing Sunday at RFK.
8. Colorado Rapids – Oscar Pareja’s team pressed Los Angeles at the end, nearly turning up the late equalizer on a highly dubious penalty kick award. That unfortunate decision is a different discussion, however. What we’d like to know is this: don’t they have anybody who can hit a better PK than Omar Cummings, whose slow, short run-up looked like a miss waiting to happen? It’s yet another reason the Rapids need a healthy Conor Casey, a striker’s striker, who is 4-for-4 from the spot over the last two years. Cummings, by the way, failed to convert the only other penalty kick he’s taken for the Rapids, back in 2009.
7. New York Red Bulls – Say this for the Red Bulls: there’s rarely a shortage of goals. Every week Thierry Henry and/or Kenny Cooper are knocking ‘em home at one end. Of course, a bungling back line is doing everything except tossing ‘em in themselves at the opposite end. Center back Wilman Conde can’t get healthy quickly enough. Meanwhile, there’s one positive from the comically poor defending: at least we’re not talking about Rafa Marquez.
Dec 13, 2013, 4:56 PM EST
His second trade in four months, the veteran midfielder is on his way back to Texas…for the other side. In the other direction goes a proven goalscorer coming off a season of struggle.
Dec 13, 2013, 4:15 PM EST
A move in the works for a few days is completed, but it’s just the first step in Toronto FC’s offseason master plan.
Dec 13, 2013, 3:27 PM EST
The Chelsea manager was amused at the links of Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney to London in January.
Dec 13, 2013, 1:55 PM EST
Can Arsenal break through City’s splendid home form?
Dec 13, 2013, 1:16 PM EST
The Dynamo will honor Brian Ching with several unique on-field features.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:57 PM EST
Mullins, Tshuma lead Maryland into a surprising Friday final four in Philadelphia.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Where to watch all the action ahead in a blockbuster weekend of PL match ups:
Dec 13, 2013, 12:01 PM EST
History says there are goals a-comin’ in Saturday’s match-up at St. James Park
Dec 13, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
“Average” play of midfielder more troubling during subpar start for Red Devils.
Dec 13, 2013, 11:08 AM EST
Sure there’s science behind the Brazuca, but what good is that without video of the ball shattering dinner plates and other housewares?
Dec 13, 2013, 10:35 AM EST
David Moyes reveals RVP will face yet another spell on the sidelines after aggravating a thigh injury:
Dec 13, 2013, 9:22 AM EST
Gunners aim to go eight-points clear by winning at the Etihad, Wenger plays it cool:
Dec 13, 2013, 8:52 AM EST
NBC News’ Ben Popken gets the lowdown on the new World Cup ball. Good news… a Jabulani, it is not:
Dec 12, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
Unless a player lifts his shirt over his head, you may never see Intel’s contribution to Barcelona’s uniforms.
Where They Stand: Europa League’s 32 knockout round teams (and their potential effect on UEFA’s coefficients)
Dec 12, 2013, 10:05 PM EST
Italy and Ukraine could see big boosts to their coefficients, with each federation placing four teams in Europa’s knockout rounds.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:04 PM EST
How close is PRP to blood doping? Close enough to get the Premier League’s attention.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:02 PM EST
The two-time Defender of the Year rejoins former Crew boss Sigi Schmid in Seattle.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:09 PM EST
The Dash join the Portland Thorns as MLS-backed teams in women’s league.
Dec 12, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
Recovery timeline could leave Portland winger passed over by Costa Rica.
Dec 12, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Like other notable quality American outfielders (e.g. Clint Dempsey), Cameron is a late-developer who has really evolved.
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 16 2
- Manchester United’s Robin van Persie faces lengthy spell out 0
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research hints less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 3
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 4
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Klinsmann Shouldn't Have Been Re-signed Before WC
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy