Apr 24, 2012, 12:29 PM EDT
12. Chicago Fire – Can anyone get too excited about a win at Toronto? Saturday’s 3-2 result falls under “getting the business done,” and fair enough for that. But if we’re looking for “quality wins,” then Pavel Pardo and Co. will have to keep scanning the MLS landscape. Three points this week over visiting Seattle would probably qualify.
11. FC Dallas – Schellas Hyndman’s team remains on the lookout for its first road points of 2012. The back spasms that made goalkeeper Kevin Hartman a late scratch last week must be concerning, although backup Chris Seitz was at no fault for the swell goal in Saturday’s 1-0 loss at Vancouver. Midfield reinforcements are on the way as Jackson has received his visa, but late this week is the earlier he’ll be seen around North Texas.
10. Los Angeles Galaxy – Things are definitely moving in the right direction for Bruce Arena’s team. The Galaxy didn’t look particularly great in the second half off last week’s 2-1 win at Colorado, but picking up points on the road is the mark of a good team, no matter the aesthetics. Landon Donovan and Mike Magee stood out in the win (along with Josh Saunders’ late heroics), and David Beckham was at his finger-wagging, PK-delaying best; His stalling prior to the late, controversial penalty kick was classic stuff – and his improving play on the field was a boon, too.
9. D.C. United – What a crew of young attackers Ben Olsen now has at his choosing – not to mention one crackerjack of a veteran scorer/creator in Dwayne De Rosario. Between Chris Pontius, Andy Najar, Danny Cruz and early Rookie of the Year candidate Nick DeLeon, Olsen hardly needs those two DPs who can’t seem to find their MLS feet. United leap-frogged the Red Bulls into second place in the East with that 4-1 thrashing Sunday at RFK.
8. Colorado Rapids – Oscar Pareja’s team pressed Los Angeles at the end, nearly turning up the late equalizer on a highly dubious penalty kick award. That unfortunate decision is a different discussion, however. What we’d like to know is this: don’t they have anybody who can hit a better PK than Omar Cummings, whose slow, short run-up looked like a miss waiting to happen? It’s yet another reason the Rapids need a healthy Conor Casey, a striker’s striker, who is 4-for-4 from the spot over the last two years. Cummings, by the way, failed to convert the only other penalty kick he’s taken for the Rapids, back in 2009.
7. New York Red Bulls – Say this for the Red Bulls: there’s rarely a shortage of goals. Every week Thierry Henry and/or Kenny Cooper are knocking ‘em home at one end. Of course, a bungling back line is doing everything except tossing ‘em in themselves at the opposite end. Center back Wilman Conde can’t get healthy quickly enough. Meanwhile, there’s one positive from the comically poor defending: at least we’re not talking about Rafa Marquez.
Jul 7, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
All this on the heels of the USWNT announced as the first female team to received a ticker tape parade down New York City’s Canyon of Heroes.
Jul 7, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT
You get the feeling it’s impossible not to be motivated when Steven Gerrard is your teammate. Now toss in Robbie Keane.
Jul 7, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
The last female to receive a ticker tape parade down that route was 1960 Olympic figure skating gold medalist Carol Heiss Jenkins.
Jul 7, 2015, 4:58 PM EDT
Their “no-name” defense hasn’t allowed a goal in four matches, and Canada could surprise you this month.
United States midfielder Lauren Holiday announces plans to retire with Women’s World Cup title in hand
Jul 7, 2015, 4:50 PM EDT
Lauren Holiday, 27, scored the eventual game-winning goal in the 2015 Women’s World Cup final.
Lampard talks club, challenge, Gerrard: “For me this is as much of a challenge as Chelsea was, as Man City was” (video)
Jul 7, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
“For me this is as much of a challenge as Chelsea was, as Man City was,” Lampard said. “I play football to win.”
Jul 7, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
PST’s staff predict how the Gold Cup will play out as the USA, Mexico and Costa Rica clash to become CONCACAF champs.
Jul 7, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT
Altidore and Dempsey will lead the attack. But who else is in reserve?
Jul 7, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT
Is he in the top five of superstars to join North America’s top-flight since the DP rule was introduced?
Jul 7, 2015, 1:59 PM EDT
Will Yedlin start on the right? Have Bradley and Mix got the center locked down?
Jul 7, 2015, 1:10 PM EDT
A man who’ll go down as one of the USMNT’s all-time greats hits 100 caps tonight. A few thoughts on Il Generale.
Jul 7, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT
Day 1 of the 2015 Gold Cup is here, as the U.S. starts its title defense with a showdown in Texas.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
The center back pairing is the big conundrum heading into the Gold Cup. Here’s a look at the eight defenders.
Jul 7, 2015, 10:29 AM EDT
Who will be the starter for Klinsmann in July?
Jul 7, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
As PL teams continue to return to preseason, more moves are taking shape. Here’s the latest gossip.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:35 AM EDT
Three heavy defeats in four days at the Pacific Games for Micronesia, as Vanuatu’s Jean Kaltack scored 16 times in one game. One game.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:01 AM EDT
Blues eyeing up England’s national stadium for three seasons, but so are Spurs.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
The youngest ever player to score in Turkey’s Super Lig will now try to find the back of the net at the Etihad.
2015 Gold Cup: With the rest of CONCACAF making strides, this is USMNT’s chance to show they are, too
Jul 6, 2015, 10:14 PM EDT
While the rest of CONCACAF closes the gap on the USA and Mexico, it’s time for the USMNT to show they’re still improving, too.
Jul 6, 2015, 9:56 PM EDT
Are Abby Wambach and Carli Lloyd the next athletes to be seen parading down the Canyon of Heroes?
- WATCH: President Obama calls & congratulates USWNT, invites team to White House 0
- 2015 Gold Cup predictions: Can the USMNT win back-to-back titles? Here’s our picks… 1
- Where does Andrea Pirlo joining New York City FC rank in history of MLS mega-deals? 2
- 2015 Gold Cup: USMNT player profiles – Midfielders 0
- Reflecting on Michael Bradley from 1-99, as he hits 100 USMNT caps vs. Honduras 0
- Gold Cup Today: USMNT face Honduras, Panama vs. Haiti kick things off – Day 1 2