Apr 24, 2012, 1:05 PM EDT
6. Vancouver Whitecaps – Camilo’s sweet, curling ball made the difference, although the Whitecaps backed off from the accelerator way too early in the 1-0 home win over Dallas. So it’s tough to say if Martin Rennie’s lineup changes made a big difference, especially the interesting move to start Omar Salgado (whom everyone assumed was being developed as a target striker) out to the left wing.
5. Seattle Sounders – Mauro Rosales got into the Sounders most recent reserve game, so his potential return this week at Chicago might punch up Seattle’s flat attack. Sigi Schmid’s team has just one goal in three games. By the way, things are about to get seriously busy; the Sounders play nine matches over 32 days starting this weekend.
4. Real Salt Lake – A mid-week trip into Dallas without suspended starters Jamison Olave and Fabian Espindola is hardly ideal. But if Jason Kreis’ men, still presumably steaming from Olave’s iffy red card Saturday, can deal with matters in Texas, a better opportunity awaits for taking out frustration, as battered and bungling Toronto FC travels West to Rio Tinto this weekend.
3. San Jose Earthquakes – No Marvin Chavez, no Victor Bernardez, no Shea Salinas? No problem. They claimed all the points in a 3-1 win at Buck Shaw. Yes, Real Salt Lake was reduced to nine men by the end, but the Earthquakes found a way to goal and now find themselves atop the Western Conference. Besides, what’s to say the Earthquakes would not have won Saturday with the teams at even strength?
2. Houston Dynamo – Brian Ching (pictured) is into his 10th season of scoring important goals for this franchise. The veteran striker worked his way into the right spot yet again, equalizing late for a Dynamo team that keeps ticking off the points on the road. Up next: Match No. 6 in the long road adventure to open 2012. This time the Orange bus heads to D.C. to face longtime Dynamo midfield force Dwayne De Rosario. (RFK Stadium, site of Saturday’s game, is where Houston won its last MLS Cup, but the way, back in 2007.)
1. Sporting Kansas City – The high-spirited men and women of the Cauldron at Livestrong Sporting Park won’t be happy that Portland upset the perfect-mark apple cart late Saturday night along the coast. Then again, a split of two road matches strung closely together isn’t anything to be upset about. And it’s definitely nothing to knock SKC off its top ProSoccerTalk spot. Center back Aurelien Collin enjoyed yet another good week; Are we looking at the early frontrunner for Defender of the Year?
Aug 27, 2014, 2:47 PM EDT
Balotelli aims big as new Liverpool signing speaks out.
Aug 27, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Guardiola gives Muller a piece of his mind during Bayern’s open practice session.
Aug 27, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
Fazio heads to White Hart Lane on four-year deal from Sevilla.
Aug 27, 2014, 1:14 PM EDT
As conflict continues between Israel, Hamas, UEFA has stepped in to postpone qualifier.
Aug 27, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT
Following United’s embarrassing 4-0 defeat to a third-tier team, the UK media have not been kind.
Aug 27, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT
Soccer in Sin City… why not? Stadium deal gets over next hurdle, hinges on MLS team heading to Nevada.
Aug 27, 2014, 11:22 AM EDT
All the latest transfer gossip, right here.
Aug 27, 2014, 9:42 AM EDT
After Oliver Giroud’s bad injury, will Arsenal spend big to bring in Cavani?
Aug 27, 2014, 9:12 AM EDT
Have your say on where van Gaal’s side will finish this campaign.
Aug 27, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
Eagles swoop to hand former boss his second stint in charge at Selhurst Park.
Aug 27, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Milan want Torres on season-long loan deal. Will the Spaniard move on?
Aug 27, 2014, 7:18 AM EDT
Experienced lower league manager set for second stint in charge of Palace.
Aug 27, 2014, 1:02 AM EDT
Red Bulls win their full tournament debut, while Club Améric takes a valuable point on the road.
Aug 26, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
The rankings have had a big four — LA, RSL, Seattle, and Sporting. That group makes way for two new teams at the top of the PRs.
Aug 26, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
Three-time Champions League winner adds depth to Roberto Martínez’s attack.
Aug 26, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
United boss asks fans to withhold judgment on his team’s disappointing start.
Aug 26, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
Red Devils hit a new low, with three other Premier League clubs bowing out in the competition’s second round.
Aug 26, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT
BATE Borisov and APOEL Nicosía are also into the group stage, with the five final spots to be decided tomorrow.
Aug 26, 2014, 4:27 PM EDT
U.S. Soccer is doing right by its biggest icon. Donovan will be called up for the Oct. 10 game in Connecticut.
Aug 26, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
For the second time in seven weeks, Thierry Henry takes home our weekly honor.
- $410 million Las Vegas soccer stadium deal closer; next stop, Major League Soccer… 4
- Report: Arsenal bid $82 million for Edinson Cavani. Remy, Falcao, Welbeck linked 8
- Confirmed: Neil Warnock takes over at Crystal Palace; what will he bring? 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Whole New World Edition 1
- Samuel Eto’o signs two-year deal with Everton 0
- League Cup Roundup: Manchester United embarrassed by Milton Keynes, 4-0 13