Apr 25, 2012, 9:25 AM EDT
Two quick notes on Major League Soccer’s ongoing efforts at greater discipline, since all things the league’s busy disciplinary committee are important and relevant. And we like to work in “important and relevant” around here.
A) Just because MLS handed out one suspension Tuesday (Dallas’ Blas Perez), that doesn’t mean their work is finished. Hardly, in fact.
Dallas plays tonight, so that one needed overnight delivery, so to speak, rather than standard two or three-day shipping. There are definitely more crimes and punishments to be pondered in Round 7. Which brings us to …
B) Coaches actions fall under disciplinary committee purview. I checked with MLS spokesman Will Kuhns on this, and he confirmed as much. (I wondered if perhaps disciplinary matters of coaches and sideline personnel fell under the commissioner’s watch or some other MLS official?)
This is important after events of last weekend – specifically, what happened at the Home Depot Center late in Philadelphia’s win over Chivas USA. First, Gabriel Farfan might be tagged with an extra game for his brainless challenge, unnecessarily dangerous.
But everything that happened afterward will be subject to scrutiny – especially what Union coach Peter Nowak did in entering the field of play. That’s a major no-no. If you haven’t seen it …
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public