Apr 25, 2012, 6:30 AM EDT
What we’re thinking, what we’re watching, what’s coming on the blog today and the RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day). Setting up your day in soccer …
Birthdays of note: It takes a huge star to overshadow somebody named Hulk, but if there’s one birthday to note on Wednesday, the Porto attacker’s isn’t it. Chivas Guadalajara adviser Johan Cruyff – who you may otherwise know as one of the best handful of players to ever play the game – turns 65.
Big important story of the day: As was the case yesterday, there’s one event that will draw the eyes of the soccer world …
What you should be watching on TV: José Mourinho looks to guide a third team into the Champions League final when Real Madrid, down 2-1, welcome Bayern Munich to the Santiago Bernabeu. This game’s on FX (not FOX Soccer Channel), with kick off expected somewhere after 2:45 p.m. ET.
Ahead on the blog today*: Running commentary on Real-Bayern will start around 2 p.m. ET, but only after we take one more look back on yesterday’s historic result for Chelsea Football Club. We’ll follow with analysis and reaction, and depending on how much that captivates the world, you may also see our patented, copyrighted, trademarked MLS Panic Quotient (®), not to mention some thoughts on Real Salt Lake’s venture to Frisco.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Bora Milutinovic … because at some point, we have to.
PST background noise while blogging today: Season 5, Episode 6 of Mad Men’s living up to the Twitter hype, calling it one of the best episodes ever. And checking in on a previous theme, no, there’s no Betty Francis (January Jones) in this one.
We’ll leave you with this: Given some mild disappointment at Blas Pérez’s suspension, tell us what kind of foul you think would have to happen for the subsequent suspension to be approved by MLS fans. How clear would the infraction have to be for everybody to say, “Yeah, OK. We agree with that”? To us, some of this stuff is pretty cut-and-dry, but maybe we’ve got it all wrong. Let us know.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 1
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs