Apr 25, 2012, 6:30 AM EDT
What we’re thinking, what we’re watching, what’s coming on the blog today and the RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day). Setting up your day in soccer …
Birthdays of note: It takes a huge star to overshadow somebody named Hulk, but if there’s one birthday to note on Wednesday, the Porto attacker’s isn’t it. Chivas Guadalajara adviser Johan Cruyff – who you may otherwise know as one of the best handful of players to ever play the game – turns 65.
Big important story of the day: As was the case yesterday, there’s one event that will draw the eyes of the soccer world …
What you should be watching on TV: José Mourinho looks to guide a third team into the Champions League final when Real Madrid, down 2-1, welcome Bayern Munich to the Santiago Bernabeu. This game’s on FX (not FOX Soccer Channel), with kick off expected somewhere after 2:45 p.m. ET.
Ahead on the blog today*: Running commentary on Real-Bayern will start around 2 p.m. ET, but only after we take one more look back on yesterday’s historic result for Chelsea Football Club. We’ll follow with analysis and reaction, and depending on how much that captivates the world, you may also see our patented, copyrighted, trademarked MLS Panic Quotient (®), not to mention some thoughts on Real Salt Lake’s venture to Frisco.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Bora Milutinovic … because at some point, we have to.
PST background noise while blogging today: Season 5, Episode 6 of Mad Men’s living up to the Twitter hype, calling it one of the best episodes ever. And checking in on a previous theme, no, there’s no Betty Francis (January Jones) in this one.
We’ll leave you with this: Given some mild disappointment at Blas Pérez’s suspension, tell us what kind of foul you think would have to happen for the subsequent suspension to be approved by MLS fans. How clear would the infraction have to be for everybody to say, “Yeah, OK. We agree with that”? To us, some of this stuff is pretty cut-and-dry, but maybe we’ve got it all wrong. Let us know.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is
- Gareth Bale set to resign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 0
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 1
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 5
- Premier League managerial pair blast squad and referee following final match 0
- VIDEOS: A brief history of recent “Olimpico” goals in MLS 3
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago