Apr 25, 2012, 6:46 PM EDT
Bayern were the big winners today, advancing to UEFA’s Champions League final after besting Real Madrid on penalty kicks; however, you can understand why most of the post-match focus was on José Mourinho and his team bowing out of Champions League on home soil.
Here is how the main actors are reacting after Bayern Munich huge Wednesday result:
- “It was incredible, absolutely crazy. I have never witnessed a match with so many chances. We knew if we could win, we would be favorites in the final.” – Uli Hoeness, via UEFA
- “It was a magic night. We had big problems in the first 15 minutes, but afterwards my team took over and dominated the match. We were sensational – it is a special victory for Bayern.” – Jupp Heynckes, via UEFA
- “When you start a game and you’re 2-0 down after 14 minutes you have to be mentally strong to recover. The rest of the game we played some really good football and in the end I think it’s deserved.” – Arjen Robben, via UEFA
- “The boys were fantastic against a great team. It was a very tactical game. At 2-1, both teams were afraid to make an important mistake. Football is like that – that’s life.” – Jose Mourinho, via UEFA
- “It’s a big blow for us. It was a very exciting game, but penalties are always a lottery. We played well, but Bayern are a great team. We now have to concentrate on the league.” – Iker Casillas, via UEFA
- “I am more sad for the players than for me – we must be strong. Last year we won the cup and if we win the league this season, it is another step in the right direction.” – Mourinho, via UEFA
- “Of course we are quite disappointed, but we are coping – it’s part of football. Today we are feeling the other side of football but we knew that could happen.” – Xabi Alonso, via UEFA
- “These players have worked like animals for two hours and under a lot of pressure. They went to their limits.” – Mourinho, via @RealMadrid
- “Bayern are a very good team, now it’s time to start thing about the Liga. Penalties are a lottery and we can’t do anything about it. ” – Mourinho, via @FutbolBoricua
- “Bayern were luckier than us.” – Mourinho, via @Enhorabuena
- “I think I can add more, if the players think so too, and I feel they do, as our fellow-feeling is growing, then I will continue.” – Mourinho, via @DermotMCorrigan
- “Jose Mourinho came into our dressing room and congratulated everybody. He is a good man, a classy man.” – Heynckes, via @IHeartRonaldo
Apr 24, 2014, 12:40 PM EDT
Now with Moyes out and Ryan Giggs in as interim manager, the banner has been removed from Old Trafford.
Manchester United have two transfer deals provisionally in place – Cavani, Shaw, Fabregas all on radar
Apr 24, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
This is all the calm before the storm that will be Manchester United’s summer of 2014.
Apr 24, 2014, 10:52 AM EDT
If van Gaal is appointed United boss, Jose Mourinho will have some competition for best post-match sound in the 2014/15 Premier League.
Apr 24, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT
For Chelsea, the Liverpool match represents, well, a headache, apparently.
Apr 24, 2014, 9:17 AM EDT
So bad you have to see it. That’s the only was to describe Spain’s official World Cup anthem.
Apr 24, 2014, 8:08 AM EDT
Where, exactly, Moyes’ future lies next is a topic of some debate.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:36 AM EDT
Mariano Pavone’s first half goal in Toluca delivered La Maquina a record-breaking title.
Apr 23, 2014, 11:56 PM EDT
The Red Bulls’ slow start is quickly becoming a distant memory as New York posted a 4-0 win over visiting Houston.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:26 PM EDT
A future star makes a quick impact as Washington puts week one behind them.
Apr 23, 2014, 5:55 PM EDT
Ronaldo pronounced fit; Benzema breaks through, and Casillas stones Götze.
Apr 23, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Incredible plans to expand Anfield revealed, as public will now have their say:
Apr 23, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
Tedious Tiki-Taka, counter-attacking clinic and gilt-edge chances:
Apr 23, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Striker’s 19th minute score gives the nine-time champions a 1-0 lead ahead of next week’s second leg.
Apr 23, 2014, 4:19 PM EDT
Find out who won the PL Player of the Week award, right here:
Apr 23, 2014, 3:36 PM EDT
Which players made the PL team of the week? Find out, right here:
Apr 23, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
The top two remain unchanged, but there’s a major shakeup in elsewhere near the top of our weekly rankings.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
Andrew Dykstra wants to brew you a beer, and several teams have specific offerings in mind.
Apr 23, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
The big guns will be firing for Bayern Munich and Real Madrid at the Bernabéu, and there’s plenty of ammunition on both benches if needed.
Apr 23, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Reports say David Moyes was “seething” at what he perceived to be an unprofessional dismissal from Manchester United.
Apr 23, 2014, 12:52 PM EDT
Bad news for England, as Januzaj is headed for a brand new Belgium kit.
- Manchester United have two transfer deals provisionally in place – Cavani, Shaw, Fabregas all on radar 0
- Chelsea approves Jose Mourinho’s desire to play ‘B Squad’ against Liverpool 1
- David Moyes tipped by Roberto Martinez to make swift return to management 1
- Three things we learned from Real Madrid’s win vs. Bayern Munich 3
- Benzema goal holds up as Real Madrid claim 1-0 lead over Bayern Munich 0
- Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 7 3