Apr 25, 2012, 6:46 PM EST
Bayern were the big winners today, advancing to UEFA’s Champions League final after besting Real Madrid on penalty kicks; however, you can understand why most of the post-match focus was on José Mourinho and his team bowing out of Champions League on home soil.
Here is how the main actors are reacting after Bayern Munich huge Wednesday result:
- “It was incredible, absolutely crazy. I have never witnessed a match with so many chances. We knew if we could win, we would be favorites in the final.” – Uli Hoeness, via UEFA
- “It was a magic night. We had big problems in the first 15 minutes, but afterwards my team took over and dominated the match. We were sensational – it is a special victory for Bayern.” – Jupp Heynckes, via UEFA
- “When you start a game and you’re 2-0 down after 14 minutes you have to be mentally strong to recover. The rest of the game we played some really good football and in the end I think it’s deserved.” – Arjen Robben, via UEFA
- “The boys were fantastic against a great team. It was a very tactical game. At 2-1, both teams were afraid to make an important mistake. Football is like that – that’s life.” – Jose Mourinho, via UEFA
- “It’s a big blow for us. It was a very exciting game, but penalties are always a lottery. We played well, but Bayern are a great team. We now have to concentrate on the league.” – Iker Casillas, via UEFA
- “I am more sad for the players than for me – we must be strong. Last year we won the cup and if we win the league this season, it is another step in the right direction.” – Mourinho, via UEFA
- “Of course we are quite disappointed, but we are coping – it’s part of football. Today we are feeling the other side of football but we knew that could happen.” – Xabi Alonso, via UEFA
- “These players have worked like animals for two hours and under a lot of pressure. They went to their limits.” – Mourinho, via @RealMadrid
- “Bayern are a very good team, now it’s time to start thing about the Liga. Penalties are a lottery and we can’t do anything about it. ” – Mourinho, via @FutbolBoricua
- “Bayern were luckier than us.” – Mourinho, via @Enhorabuena
- “I think I can add more, if the players think so too, and I feel they do, as our fellow-feeling is growing, then I will continue.” – Mourinho, via @DermotMCorrigan
- “Jose Mourinho came into our dressing room and congratulated everybody. He is a good man, a classy man.” – Heynckes, via @IHeartRonaldo
Jan 30, 2015, 7:46 AM EST
This further limits Jose Mourinho’s options for Saturday’s match, and will also keep Costa from a trip to Aston Villa and a visit from Everton.
Jan 30, 2015, 7:35 AM EST
Much like their signing and loaning back of Divock Origi at Lille this summer, Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers makes an investment in the future.
Jan 29, 2015, 10:30 PM EST
Osvaldo-to-Juventus could mean Giovinco-to-Toronto happens six months early.
Jan 29, 2015, 9:30 PM EST
The latest update from Beckham on building a stadium, bringing an MLS team to Miami.
Jan 29, 2015, 7:41 PM EST
Friendly banter among teammates, when done right, is downright hilarious.
Jan 29, 2015, 7:10 PM EST
What went down on Thursday, the 29th day of this January transfer window? A full recap, inside.
Jan 29, 2015, 5:36 PM EST
Agudelo is back in MLS, where he probably should have been all along.
Jan 29, 2015, 5:12 PM EST
The future boss at Anfield? Sturridge is quite sure of it.
Jan 29, 2015, 3:18 PM EST
Putin and Russia have already had to cut costs for the 2018 World Cup.
Jan 29, 2015, 2:43 PM EST
Arsenal’s main man is touch and go for this weekend’s game against Aston Villa.
Jan 29, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
Liverpool’s leading striker could return to action this Saturday after five months out.
Jan 29, 2015, 1:02 PM EST
With players out and title dreams on the line, how will Chelsea and City line up on Saturday?
Jan 29, 2015, 12:18 PM EST
Costa set to protest FA charges to avoid three-game ban.
Jan 29, 2015, 11:43 AM EST
Watch Klinsmann’s insane piece of skill from the friendly vs. Chile on Wednesday. My word.
Jan 29, 2015, 11:08 AM EST
Guinea won the lottery and are through to the last eight. Here’s the quarterfinal field for AFCON.
Jan 29, 2015, 9:45 AM EST
Former D.C. United, RSL and Union player heading back home?
Jan 29, 2015, 9:06 AM EST
With a few days left in the window, here’s the latest gossip.
Jan 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EST
Could Yaya link up with his old boss at the San Siro?
Jan 28, 2015, 11:10 PM EST
So what went down on Wednesday, as the transfer window took another step toward slamming shut?
Jan 28, 2015, 10:20 PM EST
Set up for a free kick outside the 18, Eriksen not only sent an arrow whizzing over the goal, but he managed to spin it into the far upper 90.
- Ban upheld: Diego Costa to miss Saturday’s visit from Manchester City, 2 more 0
- Report: Liverpool hoping to buy Ings, loan striker back to Burnley for season 0
- David Beckham says progress still being made toward MLS stadium in Miami 0
- DONE DEAL: Mattia Destro, Juan Agudelo sign with new clubs AC Milan, New England Revolution 0
- Juan Agudelo signs with New England Revolution, completes return to MLS 2
- How will Chelsea, Manchester City line up in huge Premier League clash? 2