Apr 25, 2012, 6:46 PM EDT
Bayern were the big winners today, advancing to UEFA’s Champions League final after besting Real Madrid on penalty kicks; however, you can understand why most of the post-match focus was on José Mourinho and his team bowing out of Champions League on home soil.
Here is how the main actors are reacting after Bayern Munich huge Wednesday result:
- “It was incredible, absolutely crazy. I have never witnessed a match with so many chances. We knew if we could win, we would be favorites in the final.” – Uli Hoeness, via UEFA
- “It was a magic night. We had big problems in the first 15 minutes, but afterwards my team took over and dominated the match. We were sensational – it is a special victory for Bayern.” – Jupp Heynckes, via UEFA
- “When you start a game and you’re 2-0 down after 14 minutes you have to be mentally strong to recover. The rest of the game we played some really good football and in the end I think it’s deserved.” – Arjen Robben, via UEFA
- “The boys were fantastic against a great team. It was a very tactical game. At 2-1, both teams were afraid to make an important mistake. Football is like that – that’s life.” – Jose Mourinho, via UEFA
- “It’s a big blow for us. It was a very exciting game, but penalties are always a lottery. We played well, but Bayern are a great team. We now have to concentrate on the league.” – Iker Casillas, via UEFA
- “I am more sad for the players than for me – we must be strong. Last year we won the cup and if we win the league this season, it is another step in the right direction.” – Mourinho, via UEFA
- “Of course we are quite disappointed, but we are coping – it’s part of football. Today we are feeling the other side of football but we knew that could happen.” – Xabi Alonso, via UEFA
- “These players have worked like animals for two hours and under a lot of pressure. They went to their limits.” – Mourinho, via @RealMadrid
- “Bayern are a very good team, now it’s time to start thing about the Liga. Penalties are a lottery and we can’t do anything about it. ” – Mourinho, via @FutbolBoricua
- “Bayern were luckier than us.” – Mourinho, via @Enhorabuena
- “I think I can add more, if the players think so too, and I feel they do, as our fellow-feeling is growing, then I will continue.” – Mourinho, via @DermotMCorrigan
- “Jose Mourinho came into our dressing room and congratulated everybody. He is a good man, a classy man.” – Heynckes, via @IHeartRonaldo
Sep 19, 2014, 12:06 AM EDT
Win U.S. Open Cup on Tuesday. Drop a few bars in New York on Thursday. You know: #JustClintDempseyThings.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
Sporting took a big step toward getting out of Group 2 thanks to its Spanish winger.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT
Awkward bounces made a disorganized El Tri look awful and the high-powered USWNT look pedestrian in a 4-0 decision on Thursday night.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT
Users decided to make the new art’s white space into a plus, ditching the high brow concept in favor of more appealing products.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
NBCSN’s first of three weekend broadcasts takes place tomorrow night at Rio Tinto Stadium.
Sep 18, 2014, 7:41 PM EDT
It’s 14 years off, but The FA is still planning to make a push.
Sep 18, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
Roberto Martinez makes an impressive European debut, while Mauricio Pochettino sees him team go without a shot on target.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
MLS has admitted failure before. Today’s new art may prove to be another idea the league should cast off.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
With Week four in the books, here’s how the PL teams stack up in our rankings of power.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
What are people saying about Major League Soccer’s new look?
Sep 18, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Wenger: “I was so close to signing Cristiano Ronaldo.”
Sep 18, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
After just four wins from 20 games, Fulham’s owner has seen enough from Magath.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:37 PM EDT
Rodgers’ side have had an up and down start to the season. Is it the sign of things to come?
Sep 18, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
Here’s what lies in store for Everton and Tottenham as Thursday night soccer begins.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Parmigiani watches worth over $25,000 dished out by Brazilian federation to FIFA’s exec. members must be returned.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:18 AM EDT
Gunners need reinforcements in defense, so who are they making a move for?
Sep 18, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT
Norwegian boss let go after just 9 wins in 30 games in charge of the Bluebirds.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
Star striker struggling with persistent hamstring problem ahead of Manchester City clash.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:19 AM EDT
What do you guys think of the brand new MLS logo?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:40 AM EDT
Klinsmann’s men move up after Czech Republic win. See where they’re ranked in the top 20.
- Sloppy USWNT 4-0 win over Mexico adds fuel to turf conversation fire 0
- Europe League roundup: Everton big winners at home; Spurs left with draw on the road 0
- It’s not too late for Major League Soccer to turn away from its new logo 18
- Premier League Power Rankings: Red Devils and Villans on the up 1
- PHOTO: MLS unveils new logo. What do you think? 24
- US move up one place in latest FIFA rankings; Wales the big winners 0