Apr 25, 2012, 6:46 PM EDT
Bayern were the big winners today, advancing to UEFA’s Champions League final after besting Real Madrid on penalty kicks; however, you can understand why most of the post-match focus was on José Mourinho and his team bowing out of Champions League on home soil.
Here is how the main actors are reacting after Bayern Munich huge Wednesday result:
- “It was incredible, absolutely crazy. I have never witnessed a match with so many chances. We knew if we could win, we would be favorites in the final.” – Uli Hoeness, via UEFA
- “It was a magic night. We had big problems in the first 15 minutes, but afterwards my team took over and dominated the match. We were sensational – it is a special victory for Bayern.” – Jupp Heynckes, via UEFA
- “When you start a game and you’re 2-0 down after 14 minutes you have to be mentally strong to recover. The rest of the game we played some really good football and in the end I think it’s deserved.” – Arjen Robben, via UEFA
- “The boys were fantastic against a great team. It was a very tactical game. At 2-1, both teams were afraid to make an important mistake. Football is like that – that’s life.” – Jose Mourinho, via UEFA
- “It’s a big blow for us. It was a very exciting game, but penalties are always a lottery. We played well, but Bayern are a great team. We now have to concentrate on the league.” – Iker Casillas, via UEFA
- “I am more sad for the players than for me – we must be strong. Last year we won the cup and if we win the league this season, it is another step in the right direction.” – Mourinho, via UEFA
- “Of course we are quite disappointed, but we are coping – it’s part of football. Today we are feeling the other side of football but we knew that could happen.” – Xabi Alonso, via UEFA
- “These players have worked like animals for two hours and under a lot of pressure. They went to their limits.” – Mourinho, via @RealMadrid
- “Bayern are a very good team, now it’s time to start thing about the Liga. Penalties are a lottery and we can’t do anything about it. ” – Mourinho, via @FutbolBoricua
- “Bayern were luckier than us.” – Mourinho, via @Enhorabuena
- “I think I can add more, if the players think so too, and I feel they do, as our fellow-feeling is growing, then I will continue.” – Mourinho, via @DermotMCorrigan
- “Jose Mourinho came into our dressing room and congratulated everybody. He is a good man, a classy man.” – Heynckes, via @IHeartRonaldo
Jul 31, 2015, 1:18 PM EDT
After signing nine new players this summer, is Sherwood taking a gamble?
Jul 31, 2015, 12:40 PM EDT
Here’s the latest gossip from around the PL.
Jul 31, 2015, 11:55 AM EDT
Can the Potters build on their best-ever PL finish last season? The top eight is a possibility for Hughes’ side.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:59 AM EDT
Blues boss compliments Gunners, gives update on injured duo ahead of Community Shield match.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:47 AM EDT
Soaking in the atmosphere on a special night at St Mary’s, as Saints’ Europa League campaign began.
Jul 31, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Terry: “Regardless of what people say, you can’t take away what I have won and done in the game.”
Jul 31, 2015, 7:55 AM EDT
Gunners keep experienced duo around, as Walcott decides to stay at the Emirates.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:27 PM EDT
Louis van Gaal seems to have misplaced his club’s $90 million investment, purchased just 12 months ago.
Jul 30, 2015, 8:10 PM EDT
With three attacking signings already made this summer, Balotelli and Borini look destined to leave Liverpool before the transfer deadline.
Jul 30, 2015, 6:24 PM EDT
Julian Green will be playing in the fourth division of German football to begin the 2015-16 season.
Jul 30, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
The terms and conditions of building a stadium next to Marlins Park couldn’t be any less favorable to the prospective MLS franchise.
Jul 30, 2015, 4:02 PM EDT
CONCACAF’s refereeing department could be in line for something of an overhaul in the coming months and years.
Jul 30, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Back in the Premier League after a season away, can the Canaries stay up and solidify their place among England’s elite?
Jul 30, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Following Tottenham’s 2-1 loss to the MLS All-Stars, Mauricio Pochettino said he is unsure as to where Yedlin will be playing next season.
Jul 30, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
Zlatan’s contract with Paris Saint-Germain expires next season, but he won’t let anyone know his plans for the future.
Jul 30, 2015, 12:10 PM EDT
Last season was a complete disaster for Newcastle. Can Steve McClaren turn things around for the Magpies?
Jul 30, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT
Liverpool could lose two strikers, while Mario Gomez is on his way to Besiktas.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:06 AM EDT
The South Korean billionaire is looking to become the new president of FIFA, and he had some choice words for his rivals.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
Heading into Louis van Gaal’s second season at Old Trafford, trophies are on the minds of everyone in Manchester.
Jul 30, 2015, 8:15 AM EDT
The defender had been heavily linked with a move to Manchester United, but it looks like he’ll be staying at Madrid.
- Jose Mourinho issues Chelsea injury update; believes Arsenal can win Premier League 0
- After 12-year absence, Southampton wholeheartedly embrace European return 1
- Theo Walcott signs lucrative four-year contract at Arsenal; Cazorla extends 0
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Lambert to West Brom, Balotelli back to Italy 3
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Manchester United 6
- MLS All Stars 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur: Kaka powers MLS to win 6