Apr 26, 2012, 1:45 PM EDT
If the Colorado Rapids’ signing today, Brazilian attacker Edu, sent you rushing to the Wiki monster to learn more about the man, you had better darn well know which one you’re looking for.
Edu, it seems is a popular name for Brazilian men who are good of the foot.
The Rapids’s new Edu is known legally as Luís Eduardo Schmidt.
He’s not a Brazilian star; The former La Liga man has just one cap for the global heavyweights. But that hardly means “bad signing.”
On the one hand, injuries and form have kept this particular Edu from making a regular contribution anywhere since his days at Real Betis, which ended in 2009 with the club’s relegation in Spain’s second tier.
On the other hand, Edu comes presumably cheap, almost certainly on a free transfer. And if he isn’t completely damaged goods by now, at age 33, he’s the kind of mid-level European talent that can evolve into a valuable, relative bargain in MLS.
So, a low-risk veteran who can help manager Oscar Pareja establish the passing game he’s trying to teach around DSG Park? And someone to provide a little veteran cover for Pablo Mastroeni, the Colorado captain who is facing difficult times with post-concussion symptoms? Looks like a decent day for the Rapids.
Meanwhile, here are your “Edus:”
- Official: Neymar to join Barcelona 1
- Bayern Munich – Borussia Dortmund: The tactics and the game’s shifting momentum 0
- Bayern Munich 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Robben the hero, Bayern crowned Champions League winners 4
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 1
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (14)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?