Apr 26, 2012, 7:55 AM EDT
Referee Geoff Gamble has now stood as the man in the middle in 11 Major League Soccer matches – and he has awarded nine penalty kicks.
That’s quite a ration. And the one he called on Wednesday in Dallas? Hmmm.
Real Salt Lake fullback Tony Beltran probably nicked the ball with his arm, although it’s tough to say. But was that a place where he gained some advantage? Or was his arm in a place where it shouldn’t have been?
It’s always hard to see these calls made. So much of the pully, pushy and grabby goes on inside penalty area, stuff that truly does prevent goal scoring chances, that it’s hard to feel good about decisions like this one. (Or the handball called early in Wednesday’s big Champions League semifinal, as Bayern Munich’s David Alaba’s slides in to contest Angel di Maria’s shot; it may technically be the correct call but it seems painfully harsh.)
Either way, Real Salt Lake and Dallas split the points in Major League Soccer’s only Round 8 mid-week clash, a result that seems about right for this one.
So Real Salt Lake still hasn’t won in Texas, although a mid-week draw with a home match ahead against struggling Toronto sets up a pretty fair week for Jason Kreis’ club.
Things don’t set up quite as well for Dallas, which travels into Los Angeles for a Saturday contest. Although suspended striker Blas Perez returns to the lineup, another Dallas midfielder went out injured; Carlos Rodriguez suffered a dislocated elbow Wednesday.
Here are last night’s highlights from Texas:
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers 5
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 7
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 24
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (24)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final