Apr 26, 2012, 5:25 PM EDT
Let me say three things whilst (standard “American” English translation: while) I decide to file this under “theater of the wacky” or “just plain sad.”
- Things can get pretty ridiculous when a bunch of lawyers get involved – a pitiful pox clearly not unique to our United States.
- Once a week I quit writing about the pros long enough to go coach some young men – only sometimes it hard to truly tell the boys from the grown men, as in this case.
- Sometimes, all you can do is shake your head.
There will be no pregame handshake between players from Chelsea and Queens Park Rangers this Sunday. The traditional, benevolent show of sportsmanship will be tossed overboard due to a sticky legal situation involving John Terry and Anton Ferdinand.
The Premier League position on the pre-match handshake convention remains consistent,” Premier League officials said Thursday in a prepared statement. “In all normal circumstances it must be observed.
“However, after discussions with both Chelsea and Queens Park Rangers about the potential and specific legal context in relation to John Terry and Anton Ferdinand the decision has been taken to suspend the handshake convention for Sunday’s match.”
John Terry. John Terry. Let’s see, where have we seen that name already this week. Oh, yes.
- Bayern Munich – Borussia Dortmund: The tactics and the game’s shifting momentum 0
- Bayern Munich 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Robben the hero, Bayern crowned Champions League winners 2
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 1
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 11
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (14)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona