Apr 26, 2012, 6:25 PM EST
Juan Agudelo is back on the New York Red Bulls training field.
While it’s always great news when any athlete returns from injury, especially one of such glowing promise as Agudelo, this falls as cold comfort at some level for supporters around the Harrison grounds.
Agudelo, injured last month during U.S. Olympic qualifying efforts, certainly won’t hurt anything as he returns slowly to available status. On the other hand, offense is hardly what Hans Backe’s team needs. Thierry Henry and Kenny Cooper, with 15 goals between them, will be hard to dislodge. (Although Agudelo as a change-up off the bench sure sounds delightful.)
“It felt good,” the young U.S. international told reporters after Thursday’s practice. “Felt like the Avatar movie when the guy runs as an avatar.”
That proves two things: 1) He’s feeling quite peppy, joking with reporters and such, a positive sign, and; 2) He’s clearly had time to watch a lot of movies during recovery.
The real issue, of course, is a defense that was shredded like so much Wisconsin cheddar last weekend at RFK. What the Red Bulls really need is for Wilman Conde to get healthy, lickety-split.
The team reported that Conde jogged around the field Thursday, still three to four weeks from his return.
- Premier League Preview: West Ham United vs. Chelsea 0
- WATCH: Incredible 60-yard pass leads Montreal ouster of Pachuca in CONCACAF Champions League 3
- Tuesday’s Premier League roundup: Saints, Villa win; Hull, Sunderland draw (video) 0
- 2015 MLS season preview: Toronto FC 0
- Aston Villa 2-1 West Bromwich Albion: Late drama hands Sherwood first win (video) 0
- Southampton 1-0 Crystal Palace: Mane’s late goal gets Saints back on track (video) 0