Apr 26, 2012, 6:25 PM EST
Juan Agudelo is back on the New York Red Bulls training field.
While it’s always great news when any athlete returns from injury, especially one of such glowing promise as Agudelo, this falls as cold comfort at some level for supporters around the Harrison grounds.
Agudelo, injured last month during U.S. Olympic qualifying efforts, certainly won’t hurt anything as he returns slowly to available status. On the other hand, offense is hardly what Hans Backe’s team needs. Thierry Henry and Kenny Cooper, with 15 goals between them, will be hard to dislodge. (Although Agudelo as a change-up off the bench sure sounds delightful.)
“It felt good,” the young U.S. international told reporters after Thursday’s practice. “Felt like the Avatar movie when the guy runs as an avatar.”
That proves two things: 1) He’s feeling quite peppy, joking with reporters and such, a positive sign, and; 2) He’s clearly had time to watch a lot of movies during recovery.
The real issue, of course, is a defense that was shredded like so much Wisconsin cheddar last weekend at RFK. What the Red Bulls really need is for Wilman Conde to get healthy, lickety-split.
The team reported that Conde jogged around the field Thursday, still three to four weeks from his return.
- Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal: Wounded Skrtel turns away Gunners at the death (video) 1
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0