Apr 26, 2012, 7:40 PM EDT
Mark this under “Hardly a shocker:”
Philadelphia Union coach Peter Nowak has been suspended for an extra game (two games total now) and fined $5,000 for leaving his team’s technical area last Sunday, entering the field of play as members of his team and Chivas USA came together near the team benches.
Nowak was already set to miss this week’s match for receiving a red card.
This was Major League Soccer’s second suspension announced this week; Dallas’ Blas Perez missed his team’s match Wednesday for violent conduct in his Round 7 match.
Nowak presumably knew this was coming, based on his mea culpa at Wednesday’s weekly news conference. “I know I was in the wrong spot,” he said. “I shouldn’t have been on the field. So that’s my fault to get involved like this.”
As for Nowak’s suspension, the Union boss cannot be in the stadium tunnel area, locker room or on the field until the final whistle. He may not to sit in the press box or grandstands or have any kind of communication with his team during the game, according to the league release.
Video of the incident is below. Meanwhile, here is the complete rundown of MLS suspensions this year, as the league implements its course correction to better on-field behavior.
- Houston’s Colin Clark suspended for three games and fined for using a homophobic slur on the field
- Houston’s Adam Moffat suspended and fined for one game for a reckless challenge
- Seattle’s Álvaro Fernández fined for embellishment of contact
- D.C. United’s Brandon McDonald suspended and fined for one game for a reckless challenge
- Dallas’ Jair Benítez suspended and fined for one game for violent conduct
- Vancouver’s Atiba Harris suspended and fined for one game for violent conduct
- D.C. United’s Danny Cruz fined for embellishment of contact
- New England’s Shalrie Joseph suspended and fined for one game for reckless challenge
- New York’s Rafa Márquez suspended for three games and fined for violent conduct
- San Jose’s Marvin Chávez suspended for one game and fined for reckless challenge
- Dallas’ Blas Perez suspended for one game and fined for violent conduct
Jul 22, 2014, 11:34 PM EDT
Business up front. Defense in the rear.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
L.A. Galaxy Insider report also speculates that Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez could take a Designated Player spot in Major League Soccer if he leaves Old Trafford.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
“It’s obviously a shame he’s not here, but Liverpool is a club that’s bigger as any individual,” Rodgers said from Fenway Park.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
Inter Milan and Queens Park Rangers have swooped in for two of the Bluebirds’ best players, and Vincent Tan probably isn’t too happy.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
Shaw speaks to PST: “Manchester United are the biggest club in the world. I didn’t think twice when they wanted to sign me.”
Jul 22, 2014, 8:39 PM EDT
When a guy many consider a footballing genius gives the United States coach praise, that’s a pretty cool feather in Klinsmann’s cap.
Jul 22, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
Premier Leaguers in the U.S. on Tuesday = A day of open training sessions, autographs, football helmets and golf clubs.
Jul 22, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
The 19-year-old is a promising prospect, but is dealing with negative headlines after being subject to abuse on Tuesday in Croatia.
Jul 22, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Fraser Forster will be sticking at Celtic, for now, after Southampton reportedly lowballed the Scottish powers.
Jul 22, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Hand on shoulder, hair-coiffed, warm smile… next! Becks makes the rounds on the United’s U.S. tour.
Jul 22, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
There have been reports of where the 32-year-old American left sider will not be going, but little as to where he will.
Jul 22, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT
For every “stars… they’re just like us” moment a player gives you, there are moments like this, which will not happen to 99.9999% of us at work in our lives
Jul 22, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
Xavi set to remain at Barcelona until January, at least.
Jul 22, 2014, 2:04 PM EDT
Yeah. This is actually happened… as Stoke pull off a major coup.
Jul 22, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
Guardiola: “He trains well, he’s a good guy and my first idea is that he’s going to stay for the rest of the season.”
Jul 22, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
Will Lovren become the third Saints player to join Liverpool this summer? If the price is right, it sure looks that way.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
Where will Rodriguez line up next season for Real? Here’s an in-depth look at the options.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
Second time around, Dunga will lead Brazil’s new era.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
What do you get for $107 million in today’s world? A red-hot 23-year-old Colombian striker, that’s what.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
Klopp says Hummels is not for sale… not at the price reported anyway.
- Omar Gonzalez still dreams of Europe but “committed to the Galaxy” 0
- EXCLUSIVE: Luke Shaw speaks out about Manchester United move 1
- Pep Guardiola praises Jurgen Klinsmann’s team concept, USMNT movement 0
- Premier League teams on US Soil: Tuesday’s roundup and look ahead 2
- Racial incident against Man City’s Fofana ends U-21 match in Croatia 0
- Sorting through the most recent DaMarcus Beasley-to-MLS reports 3