Apr 26, 2012, 7:40 PM EST
Mark this under “Hardly a shocker:”
Philadelphia Union coach Peter Nowak has been suspended for an extra game (two games total now) and fined $5,000 for leaving his team’s technical area last Sunday, entering the field of play as members of his team and Chivas USA came together near the team benches.
Nowak was already set to miss this week’s match for receiving a red card.
This was Major League Soccer’s second suspension announced this week; Dallas’ Blas Perez missed his team’s match Wednesday for violent conduct in his Round 7 match.
Nowak presumably knew this was coming, based on his mea culpa at Wednesday’s weekly news conference. “I know I was in the wrong spot,” he said. “I shouldn’t have been on the field. So that’s my fault to get involved like this.”
As for Nowak’s suspension, the Union boss cannot be in the stadium tunnel area, locker room or on the field until the final whistle. He may not to sit in the press box or grandstands or have any kind of communication with his team during the game, according to the league release.
Video of the incident is below. Meanwhile, here is the complete rundown of MLS suspensions this year, as the league implements its course correction to better on-field behavior.
- Houston’s Colin Clark suspended for three games and fined for using a homophobic slur on the field
- Houston’s Adam Moffat suspended and fined for one game for a reckless challenge
- Seattle’s Álvaro Fernández fined for embellishment of contact
- D.C. United’s Brandon McDonald suspended and fined for one game for a reckless challenge
- Dallas’ Jair Benítez suspended and fined for one game for violent conduct
- Vancouver’s Atiba Harris suspended and fined for one game for violent conduct
- D.C. United’s Danny Cruz fined for embellishment of contact
- New England’s Shalrie Joseph suspended and fined for one game for reckless challenge
- New York’s Rafa Márquez suspended for three games and fined for violent conduct
- San Jose’s Marvin Chávez suspended for one game and fined for reckless challenge
- Dallas’ Blas Perez suspended for one game and fined for violent conduct
Nov 24, 2014, 12:36 PM EST
Seven of his eight appearances have been substitutions, all in the 76th minute or later.
Nov 24, 2014, 11:35 AM EST
No one told Wright-Phillips another yellow card would keep him out of an MLS Cup Playoff game. Pretty unsettling if you’re a Red Bulls fan.
Nov 24, 2014, 10:45 AM EST
Arteta felt they were dominating the game before an own goal from Kieran Gibbs changed the temperature and, at the risk of losing something in the language, doesn’t think highly of the Red Devils.
Nov 24, 2014, 9:46 AM EST
It wasn’t quite a number that rivaled top American matches, but women’s soccer in England can take an extra bow.
Nov 24, 2014, 9:09 AM EST
A trio of American attackers scored goals and a bevy of defenders and netminders worked good shifts in the own end.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:20 AM EST
Certainly keepers like David De Gea, Tim Howard, Wojciech Szczesny, Hugo Lloris and Salvatore Sirigu are scratching their heads.
Nov 24, 2014, 7:30 AM EST
Two teams on very different form meet on NBCSN to finish off the weekend’s Premier League action.
La Liga and Serie A roundup: Valencia, Napoli falter in Champions League bids; Milan derby a stalemate
Nov 23, 2014, 10:20 PM EST
Catch up on all of Sunday’s action and movement in La Liga and Serie A.
Nov 23, 2014, 8:15 PM EST
The Revs and Galaxy may both hold one-goal advantages, but they’re very different leads built in very different ways.
Nov 23, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
The Crystal Palace manager hailed his side’s “Neil Warnock performance” as they pull themselves out of the relegation zone.
Nov 23, 2014, 7:14 PM EST
The Galaxy find themselves just 90 minutes from the third MLS Cup final in four years after a narrow victory over the Sounders.
Halftime, MLS Cup Playoffs: LA Galaxy, Seattle Sounders in 0-0 Western Conference Championship stalemate
Nov 23, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
Zeroes on the scoresheet, but plenty of action in the first half. Sounders very patient, but Galaxy getting close.
Nov 23, 2014, 5:32 PM EST
He’s only ever done it twice in his MLS career, but with the season — and maybe his career — on the line, Thierry Henry will play on artificial turf next week.
Nov 23, 2014, 4:50 PM EST
The Spurs manager wouldn’t be drawn into talk about the winner from Christian Eriksen or the red card to Gaston Ramirez, instead discussing how he was just delighted to get three points any way he can.
Lineups, MLS Cup Playoffs: LA Galaxy host Seattle Sounders in Western Conference Championship, leg 1
Nov 23, 2014, 4:25 PM EST
Lineups are in for the Galaxy and Sounders’ Western Conference Championship first leg matchup. Two massive omissions leave Seattle shorthanded.
Nov 23, 2014, 4:07 PM EST
The Eastern Conference Championship first leg finished Red Bulls 1-2 Revolution, putting Jay Heaps’ side in full control of the series.
Nov 23, 2014, 3:10 PM EST
Steve Bruce challenged the decision to give Gaston Ramirez a straight red card, and criticized Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen for going down too easily.
Halftime, MLS Cup Playoffs: New York Red Bulls 1-1 New England Revolution after thrilling first half
Nov 23, 2014, 2:52 PM EST
The first 45 at Red Bull Arena was wild. Take a deep breath and relive the thrilling actions, goals and all.
Nov 23, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
New England is undefeated in 11 straight matches with Jermaine Jones in the lineup.
Nov 23, 2014, 1:29 PM EST
Brendan Rodgers was quite downtrodden following Liverpool’s 3-1 defeat at Crystal Palace, the club’s third defeat in a row.
- Americans Abroad review: Boyd bags brace, Johannsson heads home (video) 2
- Premier League Preview: Aston Villa vs. Southampton 0
- Inside Look, MLS Cup Playoffs: How Revs, Galaxy built very different one-goal leads 0
- Recap: LA Galaxy grab 1-0 lead over Seattle Sounders in Western Conference Championship 1
- Despite artificial turf, New York Red Bulls’ Thierry Henry says he’ll play next week at New England 1
- Recap: New England Revolution snatch 2-1 lead, two away goals from New York Red Bulls 6