Apr 26, 2012, 7:40 PM EST
Mark this under “Hardly a shocker:”
Philadelphia Union coach Peter Nowak has been suspended for an extra game (two games total now) and fined $5,000 for leaving his team’s technical area last Sunday, entering the field of play as members of his team and Chivas USA came together near the team benches.
Nowak was already set to miss this week’s match for receiving a red card.
This was Major League Soccer’s second suspension announced this week; Dallas’ Blas Perez missed his team’s match Wednesday for violent conduct in his Round 7 match.
Nowak presumably knew this was coming, based on his mea culpa at Wednesday’s weekly news conference. “I know I was in the wrong spot,” he said. “I shouldn’t have been on the field. So that’s my fault to get involved like this.”
As for Nowak’s suspension, the Union boss cannot be in the stadium tunnel area, locker room or on the field until the final whistle. He may not to sit in the press box or grandstands or have any kind of communication with his team during the game, according to the league release.
Video of the incident is below. Meanwhile, here is the complete rundown of MLS suspensions this year, as the league implements its course correction to better on-field behavior.
- Houston’s Colin Clark suspended for three games and fined for using a homophobic slur on the field
- Houston’s Adam Moffat suspended and fined for one game for a reckless challenge
- Seattle’s Álvaro Fernández fined for embellishment of contact
- D.C. United’s Brandon McDonald suspended and fined for one game for a reckless challenge
- Dallas’ Jair Benítez suspended and fined for one game for violent conduct
- Vancouver’s Atiba Harris suspended and fined for one game for violent conduct
- D.C. United’s Danny Cruz fined for embellishment of contact
- New England’s Shalrie Joseph suspended and fined for one game for reckless challenge
- New York’s Rafa Márquez suspended for three games and fined for violent conduct
- San Jose’s Marvin Chávez suspended for one game and fined for reckless challenge
- Dallas’ Blas Perez suspended for one game and fined for violent conduct
Mar 1, 2015, 3:20 PM EST
Playing in front of the back four due to Nemanja Matic’s absence, the 20-year-old French defender stood out to his boss.
Mar 1, 2015, 2:33 PM EST
He score two more goals, continuing the ridiculous stretch for Europe’s most in-form striker.
Mar 1, 2015, 1:52 PM EST
The USMNT regular scored his first club goal in over two years as Borussia Monchengladbach bounced back from a midweek Europa League disappointment.
Mar 1, 2015, 1:12 PM EST
The Liverpool manager was full of praise for his team after their high-energy performance against the defending champions.
Mar 1, 2015, 12:54 PM EST
Mourinho wins first trophy of his second spell in charge of Chelsea.
Mar 1, 2015, 11:50 AM EST
Chelsea have the upper hand, but can they see off Spurs at Wembley? Follow play-by-play, here.
Mar 1, 2015, 11:48 AM EST
The Manchester City boss gave props to Jordan Henderson and Philippe Coutinho, but threw his own players under the bus for not being able to hold onto the ball.
Mar 1, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
From 12 p.m. ET on Sunday, watch the “Invincibles” documentary live online.
Mar 1, 2015, 11:00 AM EST
Olivier Giroud atoned for his misses midweek with the game’s only goal as Everton had little to offer.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:15 AM EST
The Reds put in a stunning display, as City stumble yet again.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:01 AM EST
Copycat! A repeat of Jordan Henderson’s earlier strike saw the Brazilian down Manchester City late again, reminiscent of last year’s match.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:51 AM EST
Jordan Henderson opened things up with a fabulous strike, and Philippe Coutinho copied the script with the late winner.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:30 AM EST
Per Mertesacker has been dropped following Arsenal’s Champions League disappointment midweek.
Mar 1, 2015, 7:59 AM EST
On Premier League Live, Robbie Mustoe says he believes Arsenal need a change at the top, a move that would surely send shockwaves throughout English soccer.
Mar 1, 2015, 7:33 AM EST
Jordan Henderson opened the scoring at Anfield with a stunning goal inside 15 minutes.
Mar 1, 2015, 6:35 AM EST
Brendan Rodgers starts with Raheem Sterling up front, but plenty of changes along his teamsheet.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:11 PM EST
18 teams in 13 games to wrap up the 2015 MLS preseason. Your one-stop shop for all the day’s action.
Feb 28, 2015, 9:29 PM EST
As they say, that ball stayed hit.
Feb 28, 2015, 8:55 PM EST
Forget the performance, all John Carver cares about is the three points. Sometimes that’s how it is.
Feb 28, 2015, 7:45 PM EST
Dyke’s frustrated at the resistance to even explore and experiment with technological aids, and he’s 100% right to be.
- Chelsea 2-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Mourinho’s boys win League Cup trophy 0
- Three things we learned from Liverpool’s win vs. Manchester City 3
- Liverpool 2-1 Manchester City: Pair of Reds stunners stupefy City 4
- MLS roundup: LA Galaxy, Orlando, Red Bulls, Union, RSL, 13 others in preseason finales 0
- WATCH: NYCFC’s Mix Diskerud hits a screamer from 20 yards 0
- WATCH: Michael Bradley, Sebastian Giovinco combine for Jozy Altidore’s first Toronto FC goal 4