Apr 27, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
Alex Morgan is many things to many people. Her knack for scoring late, vital goals has endeared her to the USWNT faithful. She’s poised to become the face of the USWNT, if not the women’s game as a whole. Her spread in this year’s Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition has, ahem, exposed her to wider audiences.
For once, it appears the hype is wholly justified. Morgan has plenty of substance to match the star power. And she’s got the stats to back it up.
ESPN’s stats sage Paul Carr crunched the numbers and found that her goals-per-international game average bests the likes of Abby Wambach and Mia Hamm. Paul also noted via Twitter the myriad ways in which her 22 career goals have been scored.
Here are a few other stats that illustrate how impressive – and indeed historic – her young career has been so far:
- The closing stages of matches are dubbed ‘Alex Morgan Time’ for a reason. Fourteen of her 22 total goals have come after the 60th minute.
- Morgan has had five multi-goal games thus far. All have occurred in matches in which she’s started.
- Speaking of which, Morgan initially made her name as a dependable super sub. Ten of her first 12 international goals came in games in which she came off the bench. 2012 has seen Pia Sundhage give Morgan more license to start. It’s certainly paid off. She has made eight starts this year and has scored and/or assisted in five of those games.
- Flat track bully? Au contraire, mon frére. Sixteen of Morgan’s 22 goals have come against teams ranked top FIFA 20 in the world. Make it 18 if you expand it to top 25. Lest we forget 24th ranked New Zealand.
- The former Cal Bear became a known commodity to the women’s soccer community during the 2008 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup, scoring picturesque goals (like this one in the final) and winning many Chilean hearts. Morgan formed a dynamic strike partnership with Sydney Leroux. Leroux has been formally introduced to the senior USWNT set-up this year and the two have picked up where they left off. The pair has either scored and/or assisted 47.2% of the USWNT’s goal total this year.
(Be sure to check back for Part II in about an hour. Meanwhile…)
Apr 18, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT
A trio of players have been charged in a match-fixing ring involving 17 first-division matches in the Austrian Bundesliga since 2004.
Apr 18, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
Everton takes on Manchester United this weekend as the American shot-stopper hopes to save their Champions League dreams.
Apr 18, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
The German manager says when he was brought in the players were afraid of his reputation, but that fear has long since dissipated.
Apr 18, 2014, 7:38 PM EDT
Stoke City are on a tear, but they have yet to truly figure things out away from the Britannia. Can Cardiff City capitalize on the Potters’ shaky away form for a second straight surprising result?
Apr 18, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT
Whether this new corruption allegation implicates Ricardo Teixeira with regards to the Qatar World Cup bid or his ties to Barcelona, it’s more bad news for the former president of the Brazilian Football Confederation.
Apr 18, 2014, 6:09 PM EDT
With the World Cup still over two years away, Tab Ramos is beginning preparation with North American-based players.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:24 PM EDT
Jose Mourinho has guided Chelsea to an astonishing nine straight clean sheets at Stamford Bridge. Can the bottom-dwelling Black Cats pull off an unforseeable upset?
Apr 18, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
Following in the footsteps of Samir Nasri’s comments last month, Manchester City’s Ivorian believes being from Africa is preventing him from reaching the game’s individual pinnacles.
Apr 18, 2014, 4:23 PM EDT
With Chicago the draw specialists early on, can they beat New England on Saturday? Watch live on NBCSN, 4 p.m. ET:
Apr 18, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT
With the game played in Valencia’s Mestalla Stadium, the local law enforcement decided to have some fun…at Marc Bartra’s expense.
Apr 18, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Where and how to watch all the PL games during Week 35:
Apr 18, 2014, 1:57 PM EDT
Three Chelsea legends to sign on the dotted line?
Apr 18, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
Can van Basten get the best out of Johannsson?
Apr 18, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
U.S. national team head coach speaks out on Altidore, USMNT squad, American Outlaws and more:
Apr 18, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Spurs and Fulham set for derby scrap, with both team desperate for three points:
Apr 18, 2014, 10:27 AM EDT
Rooney and Fellaini fit to face their old team, as United aim to scupper Everton’s top four:
Apr 18, 2014, 9:13 AM EDT
Hammers’ youngster loses battle against cancer:
Apr 18, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
Six nominees for PFA Player and Young Player of the Year award announced:
Apr 18, 2014, 7:51 AM EDT
Beckerman and Bradley; the perfect midfield combination for the USMNT?
Apr 17, 2014, 11:33 PM EDT
MLS’s nine-match Saturday kicks off Saturday at 4:00 p.m. ET, with Chicago hosting New England on NBCSN.
- Americans Abroad Preview: Howard looks for bounceback vs Manchester United 0
- Report: 10-year-old daughter of former FIFA official received over $3 million 1
- Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs Sunderland 0
- Homegrown star Shipp hoping to guide Chicago to first win of 2014 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 35 0
- Jurgen Klinsmann on Jozy Altidore’s situation, USMNT squad and more 3