Apr 27, 2012, 3:30 PM EST
Alex Morgan is many things to many people. Her knack for scoring late, vital goals has endeared her to the USWNT faithful. She’s poised to become the face of the USWNT, if not the women’s game as a whole. Her spread in this year’s Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition has, ahem, exposed her to wider audiences.
For once, it appears the hype is wholly justified. Morgan has plenty of substance to match the star power. And she’s got the stats to back it up.
ESPN’s stats sage Paul Carr crunched the numbers and found that her goals-per-international game average bests the likes of Abby Wambach and Mia Hamm. Paul also noted via Twitter the myriad ways in which her 22 career goals have been scored.
Here are a few other stats that illustrate how impressive – and indeed historic – her young career has been so far:
- The closing stages of matches are dubbed ‘Alex Morgan Time’ for a reason. Fourteen of her 22 total goals have come after the 60th minute.
- Morgan has had five multi-goal games thus far. All have occurred in matches in which she’s started.
- Speaking of which, Morgan initially made her name as a dependable super sub. Ten of her first 12 international goals came in games in which she came off the bench. 2012 has seen Pia Sundhage give Morgan more license to start. It’s certainly paid off. She has made eight starts this year and has scored and/or assisted in five of those games.
- Flat track bully? Au contraire, mon frére. Sixteen of Morgan’s 22 goals have come against teams ranked top FIFA 20 in the world. Make it 18 if you expand it to top 25. Lest we forget 24th ranked New Zealand.
- The former Cal Bear became a known commodity to the women’s soccer community during the 2008 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup, scoring picturesque goals (like this one in the final) and winning many Chilean hearts. Morgan formed a dynamic strike partnership with Sydney Leroux. Leroux has been formally introduced to the senior USWNT set-up this year and the two have picked up where they left off. The pair has either scored and/or assisted 47.2% of the USWNT’s goal total this year.
(Be sure to check back for Part II in about an hour. Meanwhile…)
Nov 25, 2014, 3:46 PM EST
The only other active players in the Top Ten are Chelsea’s Didier Drogba (43) and Thierry Henry (50), who obviously isn’t active with a UEFA Champions League club.
Nov 25, 2014, 3:10 PM EST
With top-quality players hardly ever available in January, the Portguese international could be a hot commodity in England.
Nov 25, 2014, 2:33 PM EST
A urinary infection has Pele in the hospital just 10 days after being released following surgery.
Nov 25, 2014, 1:55 PM EST
Follow the latest batch of UEFA Champions League matches, right here.
Nov 25, 2014, 1:05 PM EST
To be completed in two phases,
Nov 25, 2014, 12:11 PM EST
“Air Marshall” not only earned his nickname, but helped to solidify an otherwise shaky back line.
Nov 25, 2014, 11:23 AM EST
Another major move in the world of money, which is clearly what FIFA is most concerned with.
Nov 25, 2014, 10:41 AM EST
While away with the team on a road trip, the Southampton midfielder’s house was ransacked and multiple valuables stolen, including his car.
Nov 25, 2014, 9:19 AM EST
Jack Wilshere will be out “for a few games” and will see a specialist after turning his ankle hard.
Nov 25, 2014, 8:26 AM EST
A fire broke out in the one building standing in the way of Tottenham’s proposed new stadium, a fishy situation indeed.
Nov 25, 2014, 8:03 AM EST
Back after steering the club to safety last season, Stevens has a taller task ahead of him this time around.
Nov 24, 2014, 11:23 PM EST
A rematch of the World Cup quarterfinals headlines the draw for the 2015 Copa America tournament.
Nov 24, 2014, 10:30 PM EST
After leading his club to their second straight win, it’s a Burnley man as Round 12’s Player of the Week.
Nov 24, 2014, 9:25 PM EST
With a massive Champions League match against Bayern Munich tomorrow, Samir Nasri said Manchester City’s stars must perform to keep their jobs.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
After returning from injury ahead of schedule, Olivier Giroud found out he was never included on Arsenal’s Champions League roster.
Nov 24, 2014, 7:25 PM EST
Find out who made it into the starting XI in the latest edition of Premier League Team of the Week.
Nov 24, 2014, 6:28 PM EST
Manchester City hosts Bayern as Chelsea travel to Schalke on Matchday 5 of Champions League group play.
Nov 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
PST’s Lead Writer and Editor takes an in-depth look at the PL during Week 12.
Nov 24, 2014, 5:11 PM EST
Aston Villa led at halftime but a Nathaniel Clyne strike ensured a point for Southampton at Villa Park.
Nov 24, 2014, 4:32 PM EST
Struggling in England, the Reds need a result midweek to remain in the Champions League.
- Lionel Messi breaks Raul’s record for Champions League goals (video) 0
- LIVE – Champions League: Manchester City vs. Bayern Munich, Chelsea to Schalke 0
- Report: Sony will not renew sponsorship with FIFA over future World Cup shroud 3
- Wenger says Jack Wilshere has a “big ankle sprain” 2
- Premier League Playback: Should Liverpool fire Brendan Rodgers? 3
- Aston Villa 1-1 Southampton: Nathaniel Clyne secures point for Saints 2