Apr 28, 2012, 4:18 PM EST
Referee Jorge Gonzalez pointed to the penalty spot in the 75th minute, and it ended up being the decisive action in Montreal’s 2-0 win over Portland.
So, right call?
Probably, although it’s a tough one for the visiting Portland Timbers. It broke open a defensive tussle, so it certainly was a momentous decision in Saturday’s first match of nine around MLS.
Timbers debuting starter Steven Smith was called for the handball inside the penalty area when Collen Warner’s deflected shot bounced up and hit Smith’s arm. And it definitely whacked his arm, which was away from the defender’s body.
Either way, a big shirt pull by Timbers defender Eric Brunner just before the controversial shot and penalty decision could have been a spot shot, so it’s probably the just result from that sequence.
Here’s the call.
- Manchester City 3-0 Crystal Palace: Citizens level with Chelsea, play without a striker 0
- Watch Live: Aston Villa vs. Manchester United (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Raheem Sterling named best young player in Europe, wins ‘Golden Boy’ award 0
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 17 0
- MLS announces home openers for 2015 season 2
- Mourinho says Eden Hazard can become an all-time great 2