Apr 28, 2012, 4:18 PM EDT
Referee Jorge Gonzalez pointed to the penalty spot in the 75th minute, and it ended up being the decisive action in Montreal’s 2-0 win over Portland.
So, right call?
Probably, although it’s a tough one for the visiting Portland Timbers. It broke open a defensive tussle, so it certainly was a momentous decision in Saturday’s first match of nine around MLS.
Timbers debuting starter Steven Smith was called for the handball inside the penalty area when Collen Warner’s deflected shot bounced up and hit Smith’s arm. And it definitely whacked his arm, which was away from the defender’s body.
Either way, a big shirt pull by Timbers defender Eric Brunner just before the controversial shot and penalty decision could have been a spot shot, so it’s probably the just result from that sequence.
Here’s the call.
- Watch Live: Chicago Fire at San Jose Earthquakes (Lineups and Discuss) 0
- Liverpool 0-1 AS Roma: Marco Borriello winner gives Italians victory at Fenway 0
- Houston Dynamo land USMNT legend DaMarcus Beasley 0
- Watch Live: Liverpool vs. AS Roma (Lineups and Discuss) 1
- USMNT prospect Gedion Zelalem on Arsenal’s roster for Red Bulls match 4
- Stripping Russia of World Cup 2018? Germany makes the argument 7