Apr 28, 2012, 4:18 PM EST
Referee Jorge Gonzalez pointed to the penalty spot in the 75th minute, and it ended up being the decisive action in Montreal’s 2-0 win over Portland.
So, right call?
Probably, although it’s a tough one for the visiting Portland Timbers. It broke open a defensive tussle, so it certainly was a momentous decision in Saturday’s first match of nine around MLS.
Timbers debuting starter Steven Smith was called for the handball inside the penalty area when Collen Warner’s deflected shot bounced up and hit Smith’s arm. And it definitely whacked his arm, which was away from the defender’s body.
Either way, a big shirt pull by Timbers defender Eric Brunner just before the controversial shot and penalty decision could have been a spot shot, so it’s probably the just result from that sequence.
Here’s the call.
- Can Thibaut Courtois surpass Manuel Neuer as the world’s best? 1
- Geoff Cameron talks Thanksgiving, Stoke City vs. Liverpool and more 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Manchester United, Chelsea, QPR 0
- Top Five storylines for Week 13 of the Premier League 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 13 0
- Premier League Preview: Manchester United vs. Hull City 0