Apr 28, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
Tim Howard vs. Clint Dempsey is a talker this weekend, as we know.
But I’ve got something else on my mind as I consider Dempsey’s season of goal-scoring goodness.
Odds seem high that Dempsey will soon bag his Clarks, bid adieu to cozy Craven Cottage and find greater fortune elsewhere. And where will that leave hard-fighting (but economically stretched) Fulham?
It has been awhile, after all, since there wasn’t a Yankee around Craven Cottage to help things along. In fact, the 2002-03 season was the last time.
Yep, there’s been a U.S. man on Fulham’s roster for the last nine seasons.
In fact, there’s been an American wearing the Fulham kit in most years since 1999. Goalkeeper Marcus Hahnemann signed with the Cottagers in 1999. Eddie Lewis joined up the next season, although both players left after the 2002 campaign.
Once Carlos Bocanegra and Brian McBride showed up in January of 2004, the parade of Yanks just kept coming.
Well, who knows? Maybe Martin Jol will wise up and sign a man from our side of the Atlantic. Or maybe Dempsey will stay put. Either way, here’s the roster of Fulham Yanks through the years:
- Marcus Hahnemann, 1999-02
- Eddie Lewis, 2000-02
- Carlos Bocanegra,2004-2008
- Brian McBride, 2004-2008
- Kasey Keller, 2007-2008
- Clint Dempsey, 2007 -
- Eddie Johnson, 2008-2009
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 7
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 20
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (20)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights