Apr 28, 2012, 4:52 PM EDT
Man of the Match: Saturday’s first match of the MLS weekend was light on big performances, but Impact center back Shavar Thomas stepped forcefully into critical challenges and generally helped reduce Timbers striker Kris Boyd’s impact. His work was critical early in a game that was scoreless through 75 minutes.
Packaged for take-away:
- For Major League Soccer’s preservation, there can’t be many of these. The first match of nine on Saturday was, in official parlance, a “stinker.” You get these every now and then, even in leagues more mature than MLS. A lot of things come together to make one dip into the “gotta get some coffee zone.”
- First, that field is atrocious. It’s a bad artificial turf laid over a concrete floor. (Very old school that way.) So the players have trouble corralling passes, which makes for a disheveled match. Portland Timbers coach John Spencer called the turf “horrendous.”
- Second, there’s not a lot of creativity between either team. In fact, there’s not a whole lot of good going on with either team right now. Expansion Montreal will remain a work in progress for some time, and Portland just isn’t much to shout about on the road. Never has been.
- Throw in a couple of replacement fullbacks (who are less inclined to scoot forward) and a couple of others manning less familiar roles (something else that encourages a conservative pose) and you get a match like this.
- Either way, Montreal will be happy with its second win of 2012 and its first clean sheet.
- The game did open up, at least, over the last 15 minutes.
- And yet even then, the sides combined for just five corner kicks, a pretty good indication of this one.
- We already addressed the game’s controversial penalty kick here. (Video of the sequence is there, too.)
May 28, 2015, 11:13 PM EDT
The U-20 World Cup kicks off late Thursday night (US time). Get yourself caught up on what — and who — to watch.
May 28, 2015, 8:52 PM EDT
Landing Ancelotti would be the best thing AC Milan have done in years.
May 28, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Sunil Gulati is putting his not only talking the talk, but walking the walk, with regard to much-needed reform in world soccer.
May 28, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT
Bob Ley joins the Men in Blazers to talk about the FIFA arrests and decades of corruption inside world football’s governing body.
May 28, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
With the 2014-15 season in the books, clubs are already busy making moves for next season. Where should each club focus their efforts (and $$$)?
May 28, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
Going over the highs and lows, the surprises and disappointments, plus much more from the PL season that was, here’s the latest PST Extra.
May 28, 2015, 2:33 PM EDT
Remember these 10 matches from the 2014-15 season? Here’s highlights from them all.
May 28, 2015, 1:35 PM EDT
Burnley and Chelsea will find their names often amongst the top stat men in the Premier League this season.
May 28, 2015, 12:57 PM EDT
Liverpool legend will be heading to California soon, says Bruce Arena.
May 28, 2015, 12:08 PM EDT
FIFA’s long-time president has addressed the congress in Zurich about the shocking allegations of corruption.
May 28, 2015, 11:25 AM EDT
UEFA to discuss possibility of walking away from FIFA in Berlin next month.
May 28, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT
UEFA’s chief pleads with Blatter to walk away as world soccer’s governing body is in ruins.
May 28, 2015, 9:31 AM EDT
PHOTOS & VIDEO: Women’s players are available in the FIFA video game series for the first time.
May 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Former Valencia, Liverpool boss has called time in Naples as his hometown is calling.
May 28, 2015, 7:51 AM EDT
The Russian president finds it “odd” that the FBI is chasing down FIFA officials…
May 28, 2015, 12:53 AM EDT
Juninho’s early PK is all the Galaxy need, as they climb to 4th in the Western Conference. RSL, meanwhile, are on the outside looking in.
May 28, 2015, 12:43 AM EDT
17 MLS teams will entire this year’s US Open Cup in the 4th round. On Wednesday, they learned who they’ll face.
May 28, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
Wins in May don’t get much more “must-win” than this one. PDX tops the East’s top team.
May 27, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
According to his agent, Balotelli is going nowhere this summer. He’ll stay and fight for his place next season.
May 27, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
11 current and former officials from around the world have been provisionally banned from all football-related activities.
- U-20 World Cup preview: The groups, the favorites, USA outlook and the game’s future stars 0
- Gulati: U.S. Soccer will vote for Prince Ali bin Al-Hussein in FIFA election, not Sepp Blatter 3
- 2014-15 Premier League season review: Summer transfer needs 2
- Premier League 2014-15 review – Top 10 games of the season 3
- By the numbers: 2014-15 Premier League season in review 1
- Sepp Blatter transcript in full; admits “shame and humiliation” of FIFA scandal 4