Apr 28, 2012, 4:52 PM EDT
Man of the Match: Saturday’s first match of the MLS weekend was light on big performances, but Impact center back Shavar Thomas stepped forcefully into critical challenges and generally helped reduce Timbers striker Kris Boyd’s impact. His work was critical early in a game that was scoreless through 75 minutes.
Packaged for take-away:
- For Major League Soccer’s preservation, there can’t be many of these. The first match of nine on Saturday was, in official parlance, a “stinker.” You get these every now and then, even in leagues more mature than MLS. A lot of things come together to make one dip into the “gotta get some coffee zone.”
- First, that field is atrocious. It’s a bad artificial turf laid over a concrete floor. (Very old school that way.) So the players have trouble corralling passes, which makes for a disheveled match. Portland Timbers coach John Spencer called the turf “horrendous.”
- Second, there’s not a lot of creativity between either team. In fact, there’s not a whole lot of good going on with either team right now. Expansion Montreal will remain a work in progress for some time, and Portland just isn’t much to shout about on the road. Never has been.
- Throw in a couple of replacement fullbacks (who are less inclined to scoot forward) and a couple of others manning less familiar roles (something else that encourages a conservative pose) and you get a match like this.
- Either way, Montreal will be happy with its second win of 2012 and its first clean sheet.
- The game did open up, at least, over the last 15 minutes.
- And yet even then, the sides combined for just five corner kicks, a pretty good indication of this one.
- We already addressed the game’s controversial penalty kick here. (Video of the sequence is there, too.)
Oct 21, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
City storming towards their first UCL win of the season in snowy Moscow.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
Is it enough to tip the scales for Liverpool, or will one of Real’s bevy of offensive stars step in to help stop the Reds’ European hopes?
Oct 21, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
A final week La Liga match in 2011 has been under investigation for a while, and now former Real Zaragoza player Herrera is under scrutiny.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT
A trio of Columbus players joins a regular New England nominee to battle names like Barnes, Martins and Husidic for our weekly honors.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:08 AM EDT
Find out which players were selected for the Round 8 team of the week in the Premier League.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
Harold Mayne-Nicholls’ plan would be a boon for US television viewers, but would it sit well with the players?
Oct 21, 2014, 7:38 AM EDT
‘Twas an easy decision for the awards-givers this week, as Sergio Aguero struck not once, not twice, not thrice, but four times.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:10 AM EDT
Paderborn hasn’t stopped winning or scoring insane goals, if you haven’t noticed.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
Actor Mark Consuelos made his way to the Crap Part of Soho while the Men In Blazers tried to keep the ball out of their own net.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:47 PM EDT
Bayern Munich have a very difficult match on the road in Italy, while other matchups in Spain, Russia, and Germany will all prove enjoyable.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:28 PM EDT
Meghan Klingenberg bagged a laser beam for her first US goal and Abby Wambach grabbed two as the Americans will move on to the semifinals.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
Manchester Police confirmed a man was arrested after flying a drone over the match that entertained 45,000 people.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Aron Johannsson bagged a penalty in his return from groin surgery, while Juan Agudelo continues to search for a new club.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Adel Taarabt says the harsh words from manager Harry Redknapp are not only untrue but damaging as a professional.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:16 PM EDT
The New York Cosmos completed a massive signing, beating out a few of his former clubs to nab the Spanish legend as a player and coach.
Oct 20, 2014, 5:36 PM EDT
Despite a solid confirmation from Croatia, the friendly will reportedly not be happening.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT
Manchester United came from behind twice but still must settle for a disappointing result away from home.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:35 PM EDT
19-year-old Lazio striker Keita Balde Diao somehow walked away from what looks to be a major accident. His Lamborghini, however, didn’t.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Unruly fans will cost Wales and Galatasary as UEFA continues to crack down on off-the-pitch incidents.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
The yearly tournament organizes five-a-side matches for people that are homeless or living in extreme poverty.
- PST’s MLS Player of the Week: Heavy on Eastern Conference nominees 0
- Premier League player of the week – Round 8 0
- USWNT 6-0 Haiti: Wambach braces US in 90 minute demolition of Haiti 1
- New York Cosmos reportedly sign Spanish legend Raul, will play and coach 0
- Report: It will be Colombia – not Croatia – for USMNT in November 0
- WATCH: West Brom 2-2 Manchester United: Blind earns draw for Red Devils on road 3