Apr 28, 2012, 4:52 PM EST
Man of the Match: Saturday’s first match of the MLS weekend was light on big performances, but Impact center back Shavar Thomas stepped forcefully into critical challenges and generally helped reduce Timbers striker Kris Boyd’s impact. His work was critical early in a game that was scoreless through 75 minutes.
Packaged for take-away:
- For Major League Soccer’s preservation, there can’t be many of these. The first match of nine on Saturday was, in official parlance, a “stinker.” You get these every now and then, even in leagues more mature than MLS. A lot of things come together to make one dip into the “gotta get some coffee zone.”
- First, that field is atrocious. It’s a bad artificial turf laid over a concrete floor. (Very old school that way.) So the players have trouble corralling passes, which makes for a disheveled match. Portland Timbers coach John Spencer called the turf “horrendous.”
- Second, there’s not a lot of creativity between either team. In fact, there’s not a whole lot of good going on with either team right now. Expansion Montreal will remain a work in progress for some time, and Portland just isn’t much to shout about on the road. Never has been.
- Throw in a couple of replacement fullbacks (who are less inclined to scoot forward) and a couple of others manning less familiar roles (something else that encourages a conservative pose) and you get a match like this.
- Either way, Montreal will be happy with its second win of 2012 and its first clean sheet.
- The game did open up, at least, over the last 15 minutes.
- And yet even then, the sides combined for just five corner kicks, a pretty good indication of this one.
- We already addressed the game’s controversial penalty kick here. (Video of the sequence is there, too.)
Mar 5, 2015, 11:32 PM EST
This one will put a smile on your face and a tear in your eye.
Mar 5, 2015, 10:22 PM EST
Because who doesn’t love to critique and compare every team’s new jerseys?
Mar 5, 2015, 8:53 PM EST
The dribble was a thing of beauty, but he still had to apply the finish. Not a problem for Salah.
Mar 5, 2015, 8:15 PM EST
The season is officially on. Here’s a few reasons to get excited, in case you’re not already. (You should be.)
Mar 5, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
Jeff Cassar impressed in year one, but can he rebuild RSL and make them his own in year two?
Mar 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
Bruce’s boys are back, and once again, rebuilt. This changes little for a team with more championship aspirations.
Mar 5, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
Caleb Porter’s final foray in the Rose City? He’ll need the playoffs this year, otherwise…
Mar 5, 2015, 3:19 PM EST
After winning two of three titles last season, can the Sounders finally clinch that pesky MLS Cup?
Mar 5, 2015, 2:45 PM EST
From expansion team finishing first to making the playoffs to finishing in last, our writers have varied opinions on how MLS will unfold in 2015.
Mar 5, 2015, 2:08 PM EST
PST’s Editor and Lead Writer looks back at the midweek madness, and assesses where we are at with 10 games to go.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:20 PM EST
Can the Revs build on a fantastic 2014? Heaps hopes so…
Mar 5, 2015, 12:50 PM EST
In the latest MiB pod, Alexi Lalas stops by to preview the 2015 MLS season.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:20 PM EST
Here’s what the MLS commish had to say about the new CBA, as months of negotiating finally paid off on Wednesday.
Mar 5, 2015, 11:40 AM EST
Who will bounce back or come from nowhere to shine in 2015? Here’s a speculative look.
Mar 5, 2015, 11:00 AM EST
Saints’ players get stuck into some hockey on a break in Switzerland.
Mar 5, 2015, 10:06 AM EST
Evans and Cisse could face six-game ban if found guilty.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:30 AM EST
How will the Red Bulls get on as Marsch ushers in a new era?
Mar 5, 2015, 8:47 AM EST
Should the league or the players feel happier on the eve of the 2015 season after a new CBA was agreed?
Mar 5, 2015, 8:07 AM EST
Reid is going nowhere, as New Zealand international signs new deal at Upton Park.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:51 PM EST
Charlie Austin played well, and the club truly appeared unlucky not to find an equalizer in the 2-1 loss. They were a step off all night.
- Now that it’s happening, MLS’s 20th season is sure to be the best one yet 2
- 2015 MLS season preview: Real Salt Lake 0
- 2015 MLS season preview: LA Galaxy 1
- 2015 MLS season preview: Portland Timbers 0
- PST predicts Major League Soccer’s 2015 standings; Do you agree? 8
- Premier League Playback: With 10 games to go, here’s how things stand 3