Apr 28, 2012, 4:52 PM EDT
Man of the Match: Saturday’s first match of the MLS weekend was light on big performances, but Impact center back Shavar Thomas stepped forcefully into critical challenges and generally helped reduce Timbers striker Kris Boyd’s impact. His work was critical early in a game that was scoreless through 75 minutes.
Packaged for take-away:
- For Major League Soccer’s preservation, there can’t be many of these. The first match of nine on Saturday was, in official parlance, a “stinker.” You get these every now and then, even in leagues more mature than MLS. A lot of things come together to make one dip into the “gotta get some coffee zone.”
- First, that field is atrocious. It’s a bad artificial turf laid over a concrete floor. (Very old school that way.) So the players have trouble corralling passes, which makes for a disheveled match. Portland Timbers coach John Spencer called the turf “horrendous.”
- Second, there’s not a lot of creativity between either team. In fact, there’s not a whole lot of good going on with either team right now. Expansion Montreal will remain a work in progress for some time, and Portland just isn’t much to shout about on the road. Never has been.
- Throw in a couple of replacement fullbacks (who are less inclined to scoot forward) and a couple of others manning less familiar roles (something else that encourages a conservative pose) and you get a match like this.
- Either way, Montreal will be happy with its second win of 2012 and its first clean sheet.
- The game did open up, at least, over the last 15 minutes.
- And yet even then, the sides combined for just five corner kicks, a pretty good indication of this one.
- We already addressed the game’s controversial penalty kick here. (Video of the sequence is there, too.)
Sep 18, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT
Norwegian boss let go after just 9 wins in 30 games in charge of the Bluebirds.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
Star striker struggling with persistent hamstring problem ahead of Manchester City clash.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:19 AM EDT
What do you guys think of the brand new MLS logo?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:40 AM EDT
Klinsmann’s men move up after Czech Republic win. See where they’re ranked in the top 20.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
A dog home ravaged by fire last week believes Mario Balotelli has made a sizable donation.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT
Joe Prince-Wright and myself sat down with Jenna Corrado to discuss what City and Chelsea each need to accomplish to secure victory.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
Looking for complete transparency, however, Van Gaal has laid down the law: English only.
Sep 17, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
Marcelo Claure has hinted that news regarding a potential MLS franchise in Miami could soon be on it’s way.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
“Remy could have scored, Terry could have scored, Hazard could have scored, but that’s football,” Mourinho said.
Sep 17, 2014, 7:54 PM EDT
Gazzetta dello Sport claims that one CSKA fan who had been stabbed in the stomach.
Sep 17, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
Gotta love Ajax fans, they’re always loud, positive and pretty darn clever.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
Living off the counter-attack, Schalke looked for Draxler every time out the gates.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT
Toure’s inept displays bring up question marks over his commitment to Man City.
Sep 17, 2014, 5:12 PM EDT
What happened across Europe in the Champions League? Here’s a recap of all eight games.
Sep 17, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT
A solid outing by Chelsea but Jose Mourinho’s side will rue their lack of finishing in the final third.
Sep 17, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
An impressive display from Roma who will fancy their chances of an upset against Manchester City and Bayern Munich in Group E.
Sep 17, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT
Boateng’s late volley hands Bayern win against stubborn City.
Sep 17, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT
Nothing like breaking your nose in the third minute and playing the full 90. Beast.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
Find out what’s going on around Europe as the group stage openers continue.
Sep 17, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
The former Manchester United legend has had difficulty finding results for the troubled Welsh side.
- PHOTO: MLS unveils new logo. What do you think? 5
- US move up one place in latest FIFA rankings; Wales the big winners 0
- Julian Draxler’s stunning performance puts Chelsea, Premier League on high alert 1
- Yaya Toure’s lackluster display stands out as Manchester City struggle 4
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Roma, Porto win big; Chelsea, PSG slip up 0
- Chelsea 1-1 Schalke 04: Huntelaar secures point for the underdogs 0