Apr 28, 2012, 4:52 PM EDT
Man of the Match: Saturday’s first match of the MLS weekend was light on big performances, but Impact center back Shavar Thomas stepped forcefully into critical challenges and generally helped reduce Timbers striker Kris Boyd’s impact. His work was critical early in a game that was scoreless through 75 minutes.
Packaged for take-away:
- For Major League Soccer’s preservation, there can’t be many of these. The first match of nine on Saturday was, in official parlance, a “stinker.” You get these every now and then, even in leagues more mature than MLS. A lot of things come together to make one dip into the “gotta get some coffee zone.”
- First, that field is atrocious. It’s a bad artificial turf laid over a concrete floor. (Very old school that way.) So the players have trouble corralling passes, which makes for a disheveled match. Portland Timbers coach John Spencer called the turf “horrendous.”
- Second, there’s not a lot of creativity between either team. In fact, there’s not a whole lot of good going on with either team right now. Expansion Montreal will remain a work in progress for some time, and Portland just isn’t much to shout about on the road. Never has been.
- Throw in a couple of replacement fullbacks (who are less inclined to scoot forward) and a couple of others manning less familiar roles (something else that encourages a conservative pose) and you get a match like this.
- Either way, Montreal will be happy with its second win of 2012 and its first clean sheet.
- The game did open up, at least, over the last 15 minutes.
- And yet even then, the sides combined for just five corner kicks, a pretty good indication of this one.
- We already addressed the game’s controversial penalty kick here. (Video of the sequence is there, too.)
Aug 20, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
Both Ronaldo and Ramos have gone to Madrid president Florentino Perez to ask him to keep Di Maria.
Aug 20, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT
Sunderland manager Gus Poyet believes United States striker Jozy Altidore is the happiest he has ever seen him.
Malky Mackay and Iain Moody investigated by FA for ‘sexist, racist and homophobic’ text messages while at Cardiff City
Aug 20, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
Malky Mackay has been reported to the Football Association for being involved in a series of racist, sexist and homophobic text messages.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
If Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher showed up to your training to sign autographs, what would you ask him?
Aug 20, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Arteta’s status means that Jack Wilshere and Mathieu Flamini will be the holding midfield partnership against the Turks.
Aug 20, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
Champions League play-offs continued on Wednesday with a series of tight contests headlined by a 1-0 victory for FC Porto at Lyon.
Aug 20, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT
Could Mario Balotelli be Liverpool’s answer to replace Luis Suarez?
Aug 20, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
Malky Mackay can’t escape Vincent Tan after Cardiff owner files report with FA that prompts Palace to withdraw managerial offer.
Aug 20, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
Will Cristiano Ronaldo’s back injury prevent him from playing the second leg of the Spanish Super Cup?
Aug 20, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
Liverpool fans can finally kiss goodbye that Warrior label but will that improve the designs?
Aug 20, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Dzeko becomes the sixth player this summer to sign a new contract with City.
Aug 20, 2014, 3:26 PM EDT
D.C. welcome Jamaican side Waterhouse to RFK, while Montreal head to El Salvador in CCL group stages.
Aug 20, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Red Devils finally land their man as Argentine defender signs five-year deal.
Aug 20, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
Nani is being paid his Manchester United wages in full… to play for Sporting Lisbon.
Aug 20, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
The diminutive Croatian midfielder will remain at Real after proving himself in the Spanish capital.
Aug 20, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
Check this out: one of the craziest tattoos from a soccer fan, ever.
Aug 20, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
Fer, 24, is back in the Premier League as QPR capture box-to-box midfielder.
Aug 20, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Set to arrive in MLS in 2017, the league’s newest franchise has already sold a staggering number of season tickets.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
Wenger: “It’s very difficult to understand but, in the second half, the performance of the referee was very bad.”
Aug 20, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
Muller: “The amount that foreign clubs were offering me was astronomical. But Bayern are my club.”
- Angel Di Maria gets love from Ronaldo, Sergio Ramos and Diego Simeone 0
- Jozy Altidore is the happiest he’s ever been, says Gus Poyet 2
- Malky Mackay and Iain Moody investigated by FA for ‘sexist, racist and homophobic’ text messages while at Cardiff City 4
- Liverpool and AC Milan in talks over deal for Mario Balotelli 5
- Atlanta’s new MLS franchise has already sold 14,000 season tickets 9
- No signings in 2015: Barcelona’s transfer ban upheld, FIFA rejects appeal 3