Apr 28, 2012, 4:52 PM EDT
Man of the Match: Saturday’s first match of the MLS weekend was light on big performances, but Impact center back Shavar Thomas stepped forcefully into critical challenges and generally helped reduce Timbers striker Kris Boyd’s impact. His work was critical early in a game that was scoreless through 75 minutes.
Packaged for take-away:
- For Major League Soccer’s preservation, there can’t be many of these. The first match of nine on Saturday was, in official parlance, a “stinker.” You get these every now and then, even in leagues more mature than MLS. A lot of things come together to make one dip into the “gotta get some coffee zone.”
- First, that field is atrocious. It’s a bad artificial turf laid over a concrete floor. (Very old school that way.) So the players have trouble corralling passes, which makes for a disheveled match. Portland Timbers coach John Spencer called the turf “horrendous.”
- Second, there’s not a lot of creativity between either team. In fact, there’s not a whole lot of good going on with either team right now. Expansion Montreal will remain a work in progress for some time, and Portland just isn’t much to shout about on the road. Never has been.
- Throw in a couple of replacement fullbacks (who are less inclined to scoot forward) and a couple of others manning less familiar roles (something else that encourages a conservative pose) and you get a match like this.
- Either way, Montreal will be happy with its second win of 2012 and its first clean sheet.
- The game did open up, at least, over the last 15 minutes.
- And yet even then, the sides combined for just five corner kicks, a pretty good indication of this one.
- We already addressed the game’s controversial penalty kick here. (Video of the sequence is there, too.)
Oct 1, 2014, 6:14 PM EDT
Liverpool’s struggles continue. Here’s three things we learned as they remain winless in four.
Oct 1, 2014, 5:51 PM EDT
Take in a top-flight football match anywhere in Turkey and you’ll be hard-pressed not to see at least a few flares among the fans.
Oct 1, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
After eight games on Wednesday, here’s what happened around Europe.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
The Gunners provided one of their most stunning performances of the season on Wednesday, dismantling Group D opponents Galatasaray 4-1.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT
Lackluster Liverpool now level on points with Basel, face Real Madrid in next two matches.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
“He scores when he wants. He scores when he wants. Danny Welbeck, he scores when he wants.”
Oct 1, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT
A first-half brace from Danny Welbeck and a third from Alexis Sanchez handed Arsenal some breathing room against Galatasaray.
Oct 1, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT
Arsenal are flying, so too are Leverkusen. Check out all the half time scores, here.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
The Gunners opened the Champions League group stage in disappointing form, losing 2-0 to BVB.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
Can the Reds make it two wins from two in the Champions League?
Oct 1, 2014, 1:56 PM EDT
Zenit, Monaco remain top of Group C after a dour draw in Saint Petersburg.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:38 PM EDT
Thierry Henry may be on his way out of New York City as turmoil at the top could drive him out.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
The two sides had some internet fun after yesterday’s 1-1 Champions League draw.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
The former president of CONMEBOL told Uruguayan TV that Suarez could return earlier than expected.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
That Wayne Rooney implosion? You’re gonna need Rog and Davo to break it down.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
The US fringe player picked a terrible time to be injured, with the international break on the horizon.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:28 AM EDT
With Zelalem weaving through defenders on the Arsenal U-19 team, it’s hard not to get antsy about the 17-year-old possibly playing for the United States.
Oct 1, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
With their Champions League match in Russia behind closed doors due to a UEFA sanction, fans found a way to watch anyways, and the team rewarded the dedicated supporters.
Oct 1, 2014, 8:25 AM EDT
Jose Mourinho has pestered the media with information about Costa’s troublesome hamstring all week, but the player himself isn’t listening.
Oct 1, 2014, 7:47 AM EDT
Alan Pardew must deal with yet another off the field issue at St. James Park as reports he’s losing the dressing room don’t look any less true at the moment.
- Three things we learned after Liverpool’s latest defeat, this time vs. Basel 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Arsenal cruise, Liverpool lose, Real Madrid win 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Galatasaray: Welbeck’s hat-trick leads 10-man Arsenal to victory 0
- Hat-Trick Hero: Danny Welbeck nails three in thumping of Galatasaray 1
- Report: Red Bull’s days in MLS are likely numbered 9
- Men in Blazers podcast: Wayne Rooney’s implosion, Derby Day and an MiBNT update 0