Apr 28, 2012, 12:38 PM EDT
Markus Holgersson has yet to find his MLS stride, and it’s safe to say the Red Bulls expected more of their winter defensive signing.
And yet, Holgersson will probably be the best defender along New York’s battered back line today against New England.
Tyler Ruthven, with a grand total of one professional match of experience, looks set to partner Holgersson in the middle. Conor Lade, the replacement left back who was out-muscled for one goal last week, will line up again on the left. And utility knife Brandon Barklage seems the man on the spot along the right.
Well, good luck with all that.
Of course, it’s not just the injuries to defenders Wilman Conde, Jan Gunnar Solli, Stephen Keel and Roy Miller that make things so defensively dire at Red Bull Arena. (Solli is only questionable, not “out” like the others. So there’s that.)
Rafael Marquez would usually be able to step into a center back spot, where he’s played before (at the highest level, in fact). But he’s not available; you probably heard about that. So he won’t even be around to perform his usual screening role in front of the back line.
On the other hand, all the scoring ability that lies in the feet of Kenny Cooper and, especially, Thierry Henry, gives New York a chance in today’s 3:30 p.m. ET kickoff on NBC Sports Network.
You want goals. Tune in. Because you’re likely to get them.
Here’s what Henry and some of the young defensive replacements are saying ahead of Saturday’s contest from Harrison, N.J.:
Jun 19, 2013, 4:52 PM EDT
The 42-year-old American revealed he is taking coaching courses to prepare for whenever his career is over.
Jun 19, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
Some of those old issues of communication and understanding between Jones and Michael Bradley were on display once again in Utah:
Jun 19, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
Montréal can open a gap atop the East with a win tonight. If Houston springs the upset, they’ll be within one point of the conference leaders.
Jun 19, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
He didn’t exactly say much, but Pepe Reina’s club is Liverpool – at least, right now.
Jun 19, 2013, 12:04 PM EDT
Cameras caught a message from Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea, could it foreshadow a move?
Jun 19, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
Fabio Capello is the latest manager to say “no” to the defending Ligue 1 champions.
Jun 19, 2013, 10:23 AM EDT
Liverpool take a huge net loss on the 24-year-old while West Ham set their transfer fee record.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:48 AM EDT
Tragedy struck Chivas USA’s youth squad Monday night.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
At the call of fans and media alike, the FA Cup final at Wembley will return to its post-league date.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:35 AM EDT
The United States had the perfect lineup to slowly whittle away at the Honduras defense before it finally broke.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:45 AM EDT
The 24-year-old American has found a new team after spending 5 seasons at Villa Park.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:08 AM EDT
The Premier League has released its fixture list for the 2013/2014 season in its entirety. Find out the opening fixtures plus your favorite team’s derby here!
Jun 19, 2013, 2:00 AM EDT
Feel free to ask yourself at this point: where would the United States be in World Cup qualifying without its young, in-form striker:
Jun 18, 2013, 11:54 PM EDT
Jozy Altidore was the hero for the United States, cooly slotting a left-footed shot to hand the Stars & Stripes a 1-0 victory over Honduras.
Jun 18, 2013, 8:33 PM EDT
The LA Galaxy coach has taken aging players and made them useful parts of the roster before:
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (24)
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public