Apr 29, 2012, 12:42 AM EDT
Man of the Match: Dallas right center back George John did more than his part in helping the visitors split the points, keeping Robbie Keane mostly under wraps all night.
Packaged for take-away:
- Both teams needed their back goalkeepers in this one, Bill Gaudette for Los Angeles and Chris Seitz for Dallas.
- Dallas had some chances early. L.A. had its share of quality opportunities toward the back side of the first 45. Both teams had chances after the break and, in the end, you could say this game was decided largely from the 12-yard spot. The home team missed it’s spot shot; the visitors converted theirs. So there’s your draw.
- Robbie Keane missed his penalty kick for the Galaxy, which begs the question, “Why was Keane taking a penalty kick for the Galaxy?” That’s Landon Donovan’s job. Has been since 2007.
- Donovan is 30 for 33 from the spot in MLS. What about 30-for-33 says “change things?”
- So much for David Junior Lopez being the back line savior. His decision to chest a ball back to Gaudette proved fatal, as that was the choice that led to Dallas’ penalty kick, which Brek Shea converted.
- Dallas’ fullback Jair Benitez probably should have seen red for tripping Donovan from behind inside the Dallas 18. Benitez was pretty clearly the last man on defense. Referee Ricardo Salazar consulted with his assistant along the sideline and gave it a good, long think before finally pulling out the yellow. (Benitez looked incensed by it, which seemed curiously tone deaf; he should have quite thankful about what really was a fortunate turn.)
- Never mind, though. Because Salazar would have needed to toss Gaudette a few minutes later, when the Galaxy ‘keeper tripped Blas Perez, who had rounded him near Galaxy goal.
- Benitez has long been a defensive liability for FC Dallas. He gave up the penalty kick, and his touch to the inside deep into stoppage time helped arrange the Galaxy’s late equalizer. When is enough enough? Because Benitez no longer contributes what he once did to Dallas’ attack up the left.
- Is anybody else getting tired of David Beckham’s constant lobbying and complaining? He got a yellow card for it late Saturday.
Mar 9, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
The Old Lady beats Fiorentina to extend lead atop Serie A, dismiss opponents’ threat to third.
Mar 9, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Knee ailment sees Dutch midfielder out of match after 12 minutes.
Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action
Mar 9, 2014, 6:56 PM EDT
The Blues are seven points clear, Fulham moves clear to the second tier, and Manchester United illuminate the depths of West Brom.
Mar 9, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
It was Valladolid’s first win over Barcelona since October 2012, and “boosted” their record in the rivalry to 4W-5D-23L.
Mar 9, 2014, 5:35 PM EDT
That’s a photo from an actual Serie A match between Lazio and Atalanta. Wow.
Mar 9, 2014, 5:07 PM EDT
Wilmer Cabrera gets a win in his debut as boss of Chivas USA.
Mar 9, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
This Johannsson kid is easily the best Icelandic-Alabaman we’ve seen in a long time.
Mar 9, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
Meyler capped off a long run with a left-footed finish to score the second of Hull’s three goals in a shutout win over Sunderland on Sunday.
Mar 9, 2014, 3:26 PM EDT
It’s a horrifying story, and one that is sure to have severe repercussions throughout Ghana’s soccer structure.
Mar 9, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
With Pique picking up his fourth yellow against Real Valladolid, he could sit next league match to ensure his availability against Real Madrid.
Mar 9, 2014, 2:05 PM EDT
At least one of Wigan, Hull City or Sheffield United will make the FA Cup final as the quarterfinals are complete and the semifinal draw is out.
Mar 9, 2014, 1:37 PM EDT
In the midst of a 4-match winless skid in the Bundesliga – 5 if you include the Champions League drubbing by PSG – Bayer Leverkusen now lose a key midfield component.
Mar 9, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT
An offshore Swiss bank account has betrayed the 62-year-old as he faces 10 years in prison.
Mar 9, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
Jozy Altidore was left out of the Sunderland squad today thanks to a knock he picked up in training, but this season as a whole has been a train wreck.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:26 AM EDT
According to the player’s agent and brother, an English club – and possibly multiple – made a large offer for the defender, but he is happy at Real Madrid.
Mar 9, 2014, 8:53 AM EDT
Because there’s still hope for humanity, a player convinces the referee he wasn’t taken down in the box and that a penalty shouldn’t be awarded
Mar 9, 2014, 7:34 AM EDT
Two goals from players in their Major League Soccer debuts crack our first Top 5 list.
Mar 9, 2014, 7:02 AM EDT
Will Bruin, Federico Higuaín, and Kenny Miller each scored two goals as a cagey start transformed into fireworks.
Gastón Fernández pays immediate dividends for Portland, but don’t overlook a strong night from Philadelphia
Mar 9, 2014, 6:10 AM EDT
“La Gata’s” late heroics can’t overshadow a strong start for the new-look Union.
Mar 9, 2014, 5:25 AM EDT
MLS’s best forward had a very non-best night on Saturday, with his inability to convert a late penalty kick costing his team in Carson.
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- What a photo: Lazio plays to near-empty Stadio Olimpico as fans protest club president 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear