Apr 29, 2012, 12:42 AM EDT
Man of the Match: Dallas right center back George John did more than his part in helping the visitors split the points, keeping Robbie Keane mostly under wraps all night.
Packaged for take-away:
- Both teams needed their back goalkeepers in this one, Bill Gaudette for Los Angeles and Chris Seitz for Dallas.
- Dallas had some chances early. L.A. had its share of quality opportunities toward the back side of the first 45. Both teams had chances after the break and, in the end, you could say this game was decided largely from the 12-yard spot. The home team missed it’s spot shot; the visitors converted theirs. So there’s your draw.
- Robbie Keane missed his penalty kick for the Galaxy, which begs the question, “Why was Keane taking a penalty kick for the Galaxy?” That’s Landon Donovan’s job. Has been since 2007.
- Donovan is 30 for 33 from the spot in MLS. What about 30-for-33 says “change things?”
- So much for David Junior Lopez being the back line savior. His decision to chest a ball back to Gaudette proved fatal, as that was the choice that led to Dallas’ penalty kick, which Brek Shea converted.
- Dallas’ fullback Jair Benitez probably should have seen red for tripping Donovan from behind inside the Dallas 18. Benitez was pretty clearly the last man on defense. Referee Ricardo Salazar consulted with his assistant along the sideline and gave it a good, long think before finally pulling out the yellow. (Benitez looked incensed by it, which seemed curiously tone deaf; he should have quite thankful about what really was a fortunate turn.)
- Never mind, though. Because Salazar would have needed to toss Gaudette a few minutes later, when the Galaxy ‘keeper tripped Blas Perez, who had rounded him near Galaxy goal.
- Benitez has long been a defensive liability for FC Dallas. He gave up the penalty kick, and his touch to the inside deep into stoppage time helped arrange the Galaxy’s late equalizer. When is enough enough? Because Benitez no longer contributes what he once did to Dallas’ attack up the left.
- Is anybody else getting tired of David Beckham’s constant lobbying and complaining? He got a yellow card for it late Saturday.
Jul 26, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Rudi Garcia made it clear that the midfielder is a Roma player, and that is where he will stay, despite interest from Louis van Gaal.
Jul 26, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
Wojciech Szczesny will face fierce competition for the starting goalkeeper role once the Colombia international finds his grove in London.
Jul 26, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
The Canaries boasted about beating Italian side SC Vallee d’Aoste 13-0. Turns out it was a case of mistaken identity.
Jul 26, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
The nine-game ban from Uruguay games is most likely to stand, but it’s possible the CAS will reduce other punishments imposed on the forward.
Jul 26, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
Saints have no need to sell the France international, and hope that pricing him higher than Luke Shaw will deter the likes of Arsenal and Spurs.
Jul 26, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
It’s no surprise that the forward would tip his side for the title — but is he wrong?
Jul 26, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
It’s not really sounding as though the Colombian is prepared to take a 50 percent wage cut in order to secure a move to the La Liga giants.
Jul 26, 2014, 10:09 AM EDT
Manchester United face Roma in Denver on Saturday. The match is scheduled to kick off at 2 p.m. local time — when temperatures will be high
Jul 26, 2014, 8:59 AM EDT
West Ham may be regretting their trip to Australia and New Zealand, while Newcastle are honoring fans’ memory with wins.
Jul 26, 2014, 8:06 AM EDT
Is the Chelsea manager gearing up for a season of back-and-forth with new United boss Louis van Gaal?
Jul 26, 2014, 7:13 AM EDT
The Brazilian will have a chance to prove himself once more, challenging Rob Green for the starting goalkeeper spot for QPR.
Jul 26, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT
Two goals in the first half hour allowed the Rapids to cruise at DSG Park.
Jul 25, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
The 26-year-old will try to improve an attack that averaged fewer than one goal per game last season.
Jul 25, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
Gonzalez resumed full training on Friday with the hope of starting in Seattle.
Jul 25, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
Roberto Martínez is ready to spend close to $35 million to secure the 21-year-old’s return.
Jul 25, 2014, 7:44 PM EDT
Medical with Gunners and fee agreement has Chambers on the verge of departing for North London.
Jul 25, 2014, 6:48 PM EDT
LCL injury could sideline former Southampton star for six weeks.
Jul 25, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
23-year-old brings another ball-winner to the Dynamo midfield.
Jul 25, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
One of Alex Ferguson’s most notorious transfers has found a new home with Benfica.
Jul 25, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Five years of development by the Blues ends with the 23-year-old’s departure.
- Luis Suárez may see punishment reduced by Court of Arbitration for Sport 2
- Everton willing to set club transfer record to bring Lukaku back 3
- Arsenal on the verge of signing Calum Chambers from Southampton 1
- Knee injury will keep Lallana out of Liverpool’s Premier League opener 0
- A quick guide to who’s come and gone from Premier League teams 2
- Didier Drogba has officially rejoined Jose Mourinho at Chelsea 4