Apr 29, 2012, 12:42 AM EDT
Man of the Match: Dallas right center back George John did more than his part in helping the visitors split the points, keeping Robbie Keane mostly under wraps all night.
Packaged for take-away:
- Both teams needed their back goalkeepers in this one, Bill Gaudette for Los Angeles and Chris Seitz for Dallas.
- Dallas had some chances early. L.A. had its share of quality opportunities toward the back side of the first 45. Both teams had chances after the break and, in the end, you could say this game was decided largely from the 12-yard spot. The home team missed it’s spot shot; the visitors converted theirs. So there’s your draw.
- Robbie Keane missed his penalty kick for the Galaxy, which begs the question, “Why was Keane taking a penalty kick for the Galaxy?” That’s Landon Donovan’s job. Has been since 2007.
- Donovan is 30 for 33 from the spot in MLS. What about 30-for-33 says “change things?”
- So much for David Junior Lopez being the back line savior. His decision to chest a ball back to Gaudette proved fatal, as that was the choice that led to Dallas’ penalty kick, which Brek Shea converted.
- Dallas’ fullback Jair Benitez probably should have seen red for tripping Donovan from behind inside the Dallas 18. Benitez was pretty clearly the last man on defense. Referee Ricardo Salazar consulted with his assistant along the sideline and gave it a good, long think before finally pulling out the yellow. (Benitez looked incensed by it, which seemed curiously tone deaf; he should have quite thankful about what really was a fortunate turn.)
- Never mind, though. Because Salazar would have needed to toss Gaudette a few minutes later, when the Galaxy ‘keeper tripped Blas Perez, who had rounded him near Galaxy goal.
- Benitez has long been a defensive liability for FC Dallas. He gave up the penalty kick, and his touch to the inside deep into stoppage time helped arrange the Galaxy’s late equalizer. When is enough enough? Because Benitez no longer contributes what he once did to Dallas’ attack up the left.
- Is anybody else getting tired of David Beckham’s constant lobbying and complaining? He got a yellow card for it late Saturday.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
If Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher showed up to your training to sign autographs, what would you ask him?
Aug 20, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Arteta’s status means that Jack Wilshere and Mathieu Flamini will be the holding midfield partnership against the Turks.
Aug 20, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
Champions League play-offs continued on Wednesday with a series of tight contests headlined by a 1-0 victory for FC Porto at Lyon.
Aug 20, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT
Could Mario Balotelli be Liverpool’s answer to replace Luis Suarez?
Aug 20, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
Malky Mackay can’t escape Vincent Tan after Cardiff owner files report with FA that prompts Palace to withdraw managerial offer.
Aug 20, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
Will Cristiano Ronaldo’s back injury prevent him from playing the second leg of the Spanish Super Cup?
Aug 20, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
Liverpool fans can finally kiss goodbye that Warrior label but will that improve the designs?
Aug 20, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Dzeko becomes the sixth player this summer to sign a new contract with City.
Aug 20, 2014, 3:26 PM EDT
D.C. welcome Jamaican side Waterhouse to RFK, while Montreal head to El Salvador in CCL group stages.
Aug 20, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Red Devils finally land their man as Argentine defender signs five-year deal.
Aug 20, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
Nani is being paid his Manchester United wages in full… to play for Sporting Lisbon.
Aug 20, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
The diminutive Croatian midfielder will remain at Real after proving himself in the Spanish capital.
Aug 20, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
Check this out: one of the craziest tattoos from a soccer fan, ever.
Aug 20, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
Fer, 24, is back in the Premier League as QPR capture box-to-box midfielder.
Aug 20, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Set to arrive in MLS in 2017, the league’s newest franchise has already sold a staggering number of season tickets.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
Wenger: “It’s very difficult to understand but, in the second half, the performance of the referee was very bad.”
Aug 20, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
Muller: “The amount that foreign clubs were offering me was astronomical. But Bayern are my club.”
Aug 20, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Fernandez arrives from Napoli as Swans sign Argentine center back.
Aug 20, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Following his alleged racist comments, leader of Italian soccer facing lengthy ban.
Aug 20, 2014, 9:10 AM EDT
Arsenal to miss out on Carvalho, Nastasic, as rumors continue to swirl. Check out the latest gossip, here.
- Liverpool and AC Milan in talks over deal for Mario Balotelli 2
- Atlanta’s new MLS franchise has already sold 14,000 season tickets 7
- No signings in 2015: Barcelona’s transfer ban upheld, FIFA rejects appeal 3
- Report: Tottenham set to raid Manchester United, line up Fellaini, Hernandez deals 6
- Spanish Super Cup: Late goal allows Atlético to claim first leg draw at Real Madrid 0
- UEFA Champions League Roundup: Arsenal held; Athletic takes 1-1 draw out of Naples 1