Apr 29, 2012, 12:42 AM EDT
Man of the Match: Dallas right center back George John did more than his part in helping the visitors split the points, keeping Robbie Keane mostly under wraps all night.
Packaged for take-away:
- Both teams needed their back goalkeepers in this one, Bill Gaudette for Los Angeles and Chris Seitz for Dallas.
- Dallas had some chances early. L.A. had its share of quality opportunities toward the back side of the first 45. Both teams had chances after the break and, in the end, you could say this game was decided largely from the 12-yard spot. The home team missed it’s spot shot; the visitors converted theirs. So there’s your draw.
- Robbie Keane missed his penalty kick for the Galaxy, which begs the question, “Why was Keane taking a penalty kick for the Galaxy?” That’s Landon Donovan’s job. Has been since 2007.
- Donovan is 30 for 33 from the spot in MLS. What about 30-for-33 says “change things?”
- So much for David Junior Lopez being the back line savior. His decision to chest a ball back to Gaudette proved fatal, as that was the choice that led to Dallas’ penalty kick, which Brek Shea converted.
- Dallas’ fullback Jair Benitez probably should have seen red for tripping Donovan from behind inside the Dallas 18. Benitez was pretty clearly the last man on defense. Referee Ricardo Salazar consulted with his assistant along the sideline and gave it a good, long think before finally pulling out the yellow. (Benitez looked incensed by it, which seemed curiously tone deaf; he should have quite thankful about what really was a fortunate turn.)
- Never mind, though. Because Salazar would have needed to toss Gaudette a few minutes later, when the Galaxy ‘keeper tripped Blas Perez, who had rounded him near Galaxy goal.
- Benitez has long been a defensive liability for FC Dallas. He gave up the penalty kick, and his touch to the inside deep into stoppage time helped arrange the Galaxy’s late equalizer. When is enough enough? Because Benitez no longer contributes what he once did to Dallas’ attack up the left.
- Is anybody else getting tired of David Beckham’s constant lobbying and complaining? He got a yellow card for it late Saturday.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:21 AM EDT
Mario Balotelli put an LOL up on Twitter at Manchester United’s expense, and subjected himself to some horrible racial abuse.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
Despite heavy defeat, United’s new attacker scores goal of the season contender.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Everton has sewn the seeds for a good run of form and are hoping to build on recent success against a struggling Palace squad.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 AM EDT
Diego Costa hsa been in fantastic form to begin his Premier League career, and has the chance to fire Chelsea five points clear at the top of the table.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT
Manchester United were left shell-shocked after blowing a 3-1 lead against Premier League minnows.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
Spurs offered little as James Morrison propelled West Brom off the bottom of the table.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:33 AM EDT
Championship side Leeds is dipping into Eastern Europe to find their new manager.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:53 AM EDT
King Power Stadium is bursting with attacking skill as three goals have come within the opening 20 minutes.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:07 AM EDT
Mauricio Pochettino has to navigate a pair of fixtures in four days thanks to the Europa League, and will look to avoid the first defeat to West Brom at White Hart Lane in 30 years.
Sep 21, 2014, 7:48 AM EDT
Radamel Falcao makes his first start for Manchester United who look to build on a strong win last weekend.
Sep 21, 2014, 7:25 AM EDT
Strootman has hired a man with a solid reputation to try and bring down Roma’s insane asking price.
Sep 21, 2014, 1:55 AM EDT
Highlights and recaps from the seven-match night in Major League Soccer.
Sep 21, 2014, 12:49 AM EDT
Alan Gordon’s late winner moves LA even with Seattle at the top of Major League Soccer.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Arsenal’s manager lauded his team’s concentration in its 3-0 win at Villa Park.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:27 PM EDT
Bradley Wright-Phillips is closing in on history after his season’s third hat trick.
Sep 20, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
Can Chelsea stay perfect by beating Man City? Will United win again? How will Spurs, Everton do after Europa League action? Super Sunday is upon us.
Sep 20, 2014, 7:52 PM EDT
Arsenal became the first to break through Aston Villa, while Sam Allardyce’s plans came to fruition in East London.
Sep 20, 2014, 7:16 PM EDT
The Timbers claim fifth in the Western Conference after another decisive win over their rivals.
Sep 20, 2014, 6:48 PM EDT
Thierry Henry will be center stage as two teams recovering from mid-week commitments meet at Red Bull Arena.
Sep 20, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
Portland’s brightest executed a sublime volley to give his team a first half lead.
- Mario Balotelli mocks Manchester United on twitter 1
- Leicester City 5-3 Manchester United: Foxes complete comeback for the ages 4
- MLS Roundup: Sounders, D.C. United slip; LA gains ground in the West 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man City vs. Chelsea; Everton, Spurs, Man United in action 0
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Southampton win, Liverpool upset 0
- West Ham United 3-1 Liverpool: Early goals send Irons to big upset 3