Apr 29, 2012, 12:42 AM EDT
Man of the Match: Dallas right center back George John did more than his part in helping the visitors split the points, keeping Robbie Keane mostly under wraps all night.
Packaged for take-away:
- Both teams needed their back goalkeepers in this one, Bill Gaudette for Los Angeles and Chris Seitz for Dallas.
- Dallas had some chances early. L.A. had its share of quality opportunities toward the back side of the first 45. Both teams had chances after the break and, in the end, you could say this game was decided largely from the 12-yard spot. The home team missed it’s spot shot; the visitors converted theirs. So there’s your draw.
- Robbie Keane missed his penalty kick for the Galaxy, which begs the question, “Why was Keane taking a penalty kick for the Galaxy?” That’s Landon Donovan’s job. Has been since 2007.
- Donovan is 30 for 33 from the spot in MLS. What about 30-for-33 says “change things?”
- So much for David Junior Lopez being the back line savior. His decision to chest a ball back to Gaudette proved fatal, as that was the choice that led to Dallas’ penalty kick, which Brek Shea converted.
- Dallas’ fullback Jair Benitez probably should have seen red for tripping Donovan from behind inside the Dallas 18. Benitez was pretty clearly the last man on defense. Referee Ricardo Salazar consulted with his assistant along the sideline and gave it a good, long think before finally pulling out the yellow. (Benitez looked incensed by it, which seemed curiously tone deaf; he should have quite thankful about what really was a fortunate turn.)
- Never mind, though. Because Salazar would have needed to toss Gaudette a few minutes later, when the Galaxy ‘keeper tripped Blas Perez, who had rounded him near Galaxy goal.
- Benitez has long been a defensive liability for FC Dallas. He gave up the penalty kick, and his touch to the inside deep into stoppage time helped arrange the Galaxy’s late equalizer. When is enough enough? Because Benitez no longer contributes what he once did to Dallas’ attack up the left.
- Is anybody else getting tired of David Beckham’s constant lobbying and complaining? He got a yellow card for it late Saturday.
Mar 12, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
The suspension is the same length as the one received by Liverpool attacker Luis Suarez for biting Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:41 PM EDT
Beasley signed a new deal at Puebla this summer, but what good is a contract if it isn’t getting fulfilled?
Mar 12, 2014, 1:17 PM EDT
There’s a big weekend headed our way in the Premier League, with four traditional giants squaring off with plenty on the line in terms of table standing and bragging rights.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
PST’s caught exclusively with Ralph Krueger, as the former NHL coach takes up the lead role at Premier League side Southampton:
Loic Remy wants Champions League club, says rape allegations kept him from bigger club than Newcastle
Mar 12, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
“That case cooled down a lot of clubs and I was lucky to come to Newcastle, a very great club that I thank,” Remy said.
Mar 12, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Wambach’s goal total now stands at 167 for her country.
Mar 12, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
Gregarious ex-player mourned across US soccer after passing away from cancer early Wednesday.
Russian politicians want US kicked out of World Cup because US politicians want Russia kicked out of World Cup
Mar 12, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
I’m sure Blatter is going to spend loads of time with the letters sent to him by US and Russian lawmakers.
Mar 12, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT
It’s hard to imagine another player at United seizing the captaincy, but how about England?
Mar 12, 2014, 9:13 AM EDT
“The biggest way you can tell that right off the bat is training,” Parkhurst said.
Wambach scores twice as US women end disappointing Algarve Cup with win over North Korea, 7th place finish
Mar 12, 2014, 8:53 AM EDT
With the victory, the U.S. avoided going winless in four consecutive games for the first time since 2001.
Mar 12, 2014, 8:31 AM EDT
PST’s own Joe Prince-Wright is slated for an exclusive interview with Krueger later this morning, so keep it tuned here.
Mar 12, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
“If you lose, don’t start complaining about silly things,” Robben said.
Mar 12, 2014, 7:28 AM EDT
Champions League injury forced German midfielder off at halftime, will have Ozil out of lineup.
Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic
Mar 12, 2014, 6:09 AM EDT
Barcelona carry a two-goal lead into Wednesday’s visit from City, while PSG’s four-goal edge has Laurent Blanc set to rest his stars.
Mar 12, 2014, 12:23 AM EDT
A 95th minute goal from Alan Gordon gives San Jose momentum ahead of next week’s second leg.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:54 PM EDT
Last year’s MLS Cup qualifiers start the season 1-2 in our rankings.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:43 PM EDT
Gunners prospect could soon be locked into an international career with Germany.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:56 PM EDT
Champions League was Milan’s last battle. Now, two months of auditions for next year’s team begin, with Seedorf decide who will return for the Rossoneri’s restart.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:06 PM EDT
Over the course of two legs, Arsenal was outshot 41-15 and had only 27 percent of the ball.
- Southampton’s new Canadian Chairman chats growth in North America, NHL roots, Saints’ future 0
- American soccer mourns the death of former MLS player Shawn Kuykendall, 32 0
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney muses on captaincies, laments Liverpool’s strong season 1
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 2
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- UEFA Investigate Bayern Munich's Kosovo Related Banner
- Arsenal's $64m Midfielder Strikes Out Again
- CR7 is a Superstar Both on and Off the Pitch
- Pareja Could Have Decision Looming at D-Mid
- Quakes Hit 94th Minute Goal to Tie Toluca in CONCACAF CL
- For the Red Bulls, Mistakes are Better Early Than Late
- If Man City Ever Stood a Chance, it’s Right Now
- Strootman Loss Detrimental to Roma
- Rooney Reveals Desire to Captain United and England
- Thistle Manager Sent Off While Playing For His Team's Under-20s