Apr 30, 2012, 7:00 AM EDT
What we’re thinking, what we’re watching, what’s coming on the blog today and the RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day). Setting up your day in soccer …
Birthdays of note: Longtime Mexican international Gerardo Torrado, who has done more than his part in the long-running border feud, turns 33.
Big Important story of the day: Considering all the implications and the wealth of story lines involved in today’s Manchester City-Manchester United meeting, might this be the biggest English Premier League contest ever? There seems to be sentiment in that direction. If ever there was a Big Important Story of the Day, this baby is it.
What you should watch on TV: What else? The Manchester derby kicks off at 2:30 p.m. ET on ESPN.
Ahead on the blog today*: Pre-game and post-game goodies from the “Noisy Neighbors” attempts to unseat their crosstown rival in England, plus our Major League Soccer Player of the Week and Team of the Week.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Alex Stepney (former Manchester United goalkeeper who finished his career in the United States)
Twitter dap: The Times lead football writer Oliver Kay (@OliverKayTimes), poking fun at Twittering players: “Looking forward to seeing who’s the first England player to tweet “Always admired Roy Hodgson … #winner”
PST background noise while blogging today: SportsCenter, to get caught up on hockey and basketball playoffs.
We’ll leave you with this: It’s been a tough few days for the office-bound, with two days of huge Champions League matches last week and today’s ginormous meeting in Manchester.
*Always subject to change; you
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 14
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 34
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 8
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (14)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (12)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team