Apr 30, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
So much of this game is about “want-to.” At the pro level, it’s about “want-to” and about rising to the moment.
The Red Bulls were in dire straits last week, missing 6-7 starters, depending on how you looked at things. Then star-of-the-show Thierry Henry fell to injury. That is the very definition of “hard times.”
But a few men rose to the challenge. None more than Red Bulls midfielder Dax McCarty, whose smart and skillful hustle helped carry the day in a 1-0 victory over New England.
McCarty is the consummate box-to-box midfielder; not particularly well equipped for a role neither as playmaker nor as a defensive midfield specialist, but adequate as both and suited perfectly for a linking role. His red-zone energy level assists the cause, too.
Asked to function Saturday as a defensive screener (for injured first-choice Teemu Tainio and the suspended second-choice Rafa Marquez) was a tough assignment, but one well taken. McCarty may not be an enforcer, per se, but he demonstrated how tackling through focus and technique can be as effective as Nigel de Jong-type tackling through collisions and contusions.
McCarty’s work in interrupting passing lanes and in distributing balls out of the back with accuracy was also outstanding.
Past ProSoccerTalk Players of the Week
Round 1: Kalif Alhassan, Portland
Round 2: David Estrada, Seattle
Round 3: Thierry Henry, New York
Round 4: Thierry Henry, New York
Round 5: Kenny Cooper, New York
Round 6: Aurelien Collin, Sporting Kansas City
Round 7: D.C. United’s Chris Pontius
Round 8: New York’s Dax McCarty
- Europa League Preview: Everton head to Russia, Spurs host Besiktas 0
- Report: Diego Maradona nearing deal to manage Palestinian National Team 1
- Three things we learned after Liverpool’s latest defeat, this time vs. Basel 5
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Arsenal cruise, Liverpool lose, Real Madrid win 1
- Arsenal 4-1 Galatasaray: Welbeck’s hat-trick leads 10-man Arsenal to victory 0
- Hat-Trick Hero: Danny Welbeck nails three in thumping of Galatasaray 1