Apr 30, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
So much of this game is about “want-to.” At the pro level, it’s about “want-to” and about rising to the moment.
The Red Bulls were in dire straits last week, missing 6-7 starters, depending on how you looked at things. Then star-of-the-show Thierry Henry fell to injury. That is the very definition of “hard times.”
But a few men rose to the challenge. None more than Red Bulls midfielder Dax McCarty, whose smart and skillful hustle helped carry the day in a 1-0 victory over New England.
McCarty is the consummate box-to-box midfielder; not particularly well equipped for a role neither as playmaker nor as a defensive midfield specialist, but adequate as both and suited perfectly for a linking role. His red-zone energy level assists the cause, too.
Asked to function Saturday as a defensive screener (for injured first-choice Teemu Tainio and the suspended second-choice Rafa Marquez) was a tough assignment, but one well taken. McCarty may not be an enforcer, per se, but he demonstrated how tackling through focus and technique can be as effective as Nigel de Jong-type tackling through collisions and contusions.
McCarty’s work in interrupting passing lanes and in distributing balls out of the back with accuracy was also outstanding.
Past ProSoccerTalk Players of the Week
Round 1: Kalif Alhassan, Portland
Round 2: David Estrada, Seattle
Round 3: Thierry Henry, New York
Round 4: Thierry Henry, New York
Round 5: Kenny Cooper, New York
Round 6: Aurelien Collin, Sporting Kansas City
Round 7: D.C. United’s Chris Pontius
Round 8: New York’s Dax McCarty
- Premier League roundup: Tense Saturday, as relegation battle intensifies 0
- Manchester City 3-2 Aston Villa: Stunning finish sees City hold on after Guzan’s blunder 1
- Back in the big time: Watford promoted to the Premier League 2
- Burnley 0-1 Leicester City: Foxes move out of drop zone, send Clarets bottom! 0
- Southampton 2-2 Tottenham Hotspur: Visitors twice come back from Pelle goals 0
- Watch Live: West Bromwich Albion vs. Liverpool (Lineups and Live Stream) 0