Apr 30, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
So much of this game is about “want-to.” At the pro level, it’s about “want-to” and about rising to the moment.
The Red Bulls were in dire straits last week, missing 6-7 starters, depending on how you looked at things. Then star-of-the-show Thierry Henry fell to injury. That is the very definition of “hard times.”
But a few men rose to the challenge. None more than Red Bulls midfielder Dax McCarty, whose smart and skillful hustle helped carry the day in a 1-0 victory over New England.
McCarty is the consummate box-to-box midfielder; not particularly well equipped for a role neither as playmaker nor as a defensive midfield specialist, but adequate as both and suited perfectly for a linking role. His red-zone energy level assists the cause, too.
Asked to function Saturday as a defensive screener (for injured first-choice Teemu Tainio and the suspended second-choice Rafa Marquez) was a tough assignment, but one well taken. McCarty may not be an enforcer, per se, but he demonstrated how tackling through focus and technique can be as effective as Nigel de Jong-type tackling through collisions and contusions.
McCarty’s work in interrupting passing lanes and in distributing balls out of the back with accuracy was also outstanding.
Past ProSoccerTalk Players of the Week
Round 1: Kalif Alhassan, Portland
Round 2: David Estrada, Seattle
Round 3: Thierry Henry, New York
Round 4: Thierry Henry, New York
Round 5: Kenny Cooper, New York
Round 6: Aurelien Collin, Sporting Kansas City
Round 7: D.C. United’s Chris Pontius
Round 8: New York’s Dax McCarty
- Official: Neymar to join Barcelona 1
- Bayern Munich – Borussia Dortmund: The tactics and the game’s shifting momentum 0
- Bayern Munich 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Robben the hero, Bayern crowned Champions League winners 4
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 2
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (14)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?