Apr 30, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
Our ProSoccerTalk mini-bus is beginning to fill up!
We’ve just added Jenna Pel, and quite happily so. As I’ve said before, there may be journalists in this country who know women’s soccer better than Jenna – but somebody will need point them out for me.
She’s already started; check out last week’s good work on Alex Morgan and her prodigious rise.
Jenna knows her soccer, so she’ll sound off about more than just the U.S. women’s national team and women’s soccer in general. But that is her particular area of expertise. So look for Jenna to tell you what’s important, to start conversations or add to those someone else has started.
Here’s Jenna, telling you about herself:
Greetings from Houston, Texas. Jenna Pel here. I’m the new girl in the cubicle next to Steve and Richard’s. Another hand lent the PST cause. Woo hoo!
So, where to begin? Earliest soccer memories, maybe? You got it. They’d include father-daughter time playing FIFA International Soccer on Sega Genesis (a 90′s relic) and that funny thing that happened over the summer of 1999.
My passion for the sport lay dormant for the next nine years. This Fernando Torres goal in the Euro 2008 final and the USWNT’s Gold Medal win in Beijing ensnared me once more. Women’s Professional Soccer launched several months later. Oh, what followed.
Inspired by current PST talisman Richard Farley, All White Kit launched in the spring of 2010. Its purpose is/was twofold: to document the topsy-turvy going’s-on of WoSo and to provide comprehensive, colorful coverage rarely afforded to the women’s game. Reader interaction coupled with top-notch contributions from Chris Henderson, Lauren Barker, Lissa Tan, Ray Curren, and others, has made it a tremendously enriching experience.
I wrote about the funny things that happened over the summer of 2011 for several web-based outlets including FOX Soccer and Grantland. It took some time to make sense of the hijinks that ensued. The messy demise WPS last January forced me into a mini-hibernation. I’ve recently returned to match fitness and am eager to lead the line alongside seasoned goal-fetchers Steve and Richard.
I’ll be around. It’s a pleasure to be in your company.
- Stock Falling: Which U.S. players’ statures are slipping … 2
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 1
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 2
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (29)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public