May 2, 2012, 9:43 AM EDT
Now that Lukas Podolski’s summer move to the Emirates Stadium has been confirmed, it’s fair to wonder if the German international’s arrival has Clint Dempsey crossing Arsenal off his “maybe” list?
Remember that Gunners and Dempsey have been linked already, depending on which reports out of the UK we’re all willing to swallow. (Some are better than others, with the disparity as wide as a Kansas cornfield.)
Podolski, like Dempsey, can play a variety of attacking positions. He’s been a striker at Cologne, but German manager Joachim Löw has mostly used the 26-year-old attacker wide left in a 4-2-3-1. If that kind of versatility sounds familiar, it’s because those have essentially been Dempsey’s two most frequent deployments at Craven Cottage.
Even if mutual interest remains Dempsey’s chances of collecting major minutes for Arsene Wenger have shrunk with Podolski’s signing, at least.
Just food for thought as we all continue to monitor the Dempsey situation.
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 0
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 5
- Premier League managerial pair blast squad and referee following final match 0
- VIDEOS: A brief history of recent “Olimpico” goals in MLS 3
- Where Landon Donovan’s afternoon takes us in the ongoing U.S. national team debate 7
- Live Extra: Watch Blackhawks-Red Wings Game 3
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Dickey goes 8, beats Rays for 2nd straight win
- PST: Mourinho officially leaving Real Madrid
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago