May 2, 2012, 3:39 PM EDT
Upon his arrival almost year ago, Jurgen Klinsmann assigned “high priority” status to establishing deeper connections with the United States’ foreign legion, a.k.a. the backbone of the U.S. national team program.
He wanted to super-size what Bob Bradley had started. Bradley had Lubos Kubik on staff, based in Europe. Klinsmann doubled down on those efforts, hiring two respected, experienced figures in Andy Herzog and Matthias Hamann.
Klinsmann’s aim was to broaden the presence and ability to gather information and facilitate the best-possible back-and-forth. He also sought more face-to-fact time between the players (Clint Dempsey, Tim Howard, Steve Cherundolo, Jozy Altidore, etc.) and with the club directors, as well. He wanted a more extensive, more comprehensive connection with the performers and the peripheral players, all in the name of advancing the processes of scouting and information dissemination.
It looks like he’s moved the ball down the field in that regard.
U.S. Soccer just released an extensive Q&A with the German boss, who is about to be seriously busy with an important camp, which precedes three important friendlies and the country’s first two World Cup 2014 qualifiers. (The May-June schedule is here.)
The Q&A is all about Klinsmann’s approach to scouting players, “a process which involves a staff of five across two continents with the ultimate goal of determining which players are fit, in form, and ready to contribute in the games that matter the most,” according to U.S. Soccer.
- WATCH: All the goals, highlights from Saturday in the Premier League 0
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea blow it, Swansea, Spurs and Palace win 0
- VIDEO: Jose Mourinho’s sensational swipe at officials after Chelsea suffer shock defeat 6
- Chelsea 1-2 Sunderland: Blues’ title dreams in ruins, as Black Cats grab shock win (video) 5
- Newcastle United 1-2 Swansea City: Bony’s brace seals crucial win for Swans (video) 0
- West Ham United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Eagles assure second season in Premier League (video) 1