May 2, 2012, 3:39 PM EDT
Upon his arrival almost year ago, Jurgen Klinsmann assigned “high priority” status to establishing deeper connections with the United States’ foreign legion, a.k.a. the backbone of the U.S. national team program.
He wanted to super-size what Bob Bradley had started. Bradley had Lubos Kubik on staff, based in Europe. Klinsmann doubled down on those efforts, hiring two respected, experienced figures in Andy Herzog and Matthias Hamann.
Klinsmann’s aim was to broaden the presence and ability to gather information and facilitate the best-possible back-and-forth. He also sought more face-to-fact time between the players (Clint Dempsey, Tim Howard, Steve Cherundolo, Jozy Altidore, etc.) and with the club directors, as well. He wanted a more extensive, more comprehensive connection with the performers and the peripheral players, all in the name of advancing the processes of scouting and information dissemination.
It looks like he’s moved the ball down the field in that regard.
U.S. Soccer just released an extensive Q&A with the German boss, who is about to be seriously busy with an important camp, which precedes three important friendlies and the country’s first two World Cup 2014 qualifiers. (The May-June schedule is here.)
The Q&A is all about Klinsmann’s approach to scouting players, “a process which involves a staff of five across two continents with the ultimate goal of determining which players are fit, in form, and ready to contribute in the games that matter the most,” according to U.S. Soccer.
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers 5
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 7
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 24
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (24)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final