May 2, 2012, 1:12 PM EST
While we all worry about which Galaxy Galacticos boarded the team bus ahead of tonight’s trip to the rainy Pacific Northwest …
And while we all worry about Thierry Henry’s hammy and whether the seemingly jinxed Red Bulls will soon discover that Red Bull Arena was built imprudently on ancient burial grounds …
And while folks in Houston pull the next tab on their wall calendars, eagerly counting down the days before the Dynamo pops the top on Major League Soccer’s latest stadium …
It’s easy to lose track of a particularly tasty match happening tonight at Buck Shaw Stadium outside San Jose.
The hottest team from the East (yes, sorry Sporting Kansas City) has traveled across the country to meet the hottest team from the West.
Yup. This one is worth checking out.
One thing to watch tonight: Chris Wondolowski is second behind Henry in the MLS Golden Boot chase – and the French international’s recent injury setback opens an opportunity for Wondolowski to take some ground. Steven Lenhart’s pair of goals last weekend means teams may need to devote more attention in his direction, which means a little less aimed at “Wonder Wondo.”
By the way, the next strike for Wondolowski will be No. 50 in his career. Personally, I like his chances of finding goal tonight, especially considering the defense depletion factor: an injury to steady D.C. United center back Emiliano Dudar could untether United’s back line.
Wondolowski and Henry share the longest active streak in MLS of games with either a goal or an assist, both sitting at six games. (Wondolowski’s game log is here.)
All that said, United has ample striking power, too. Tonight’s match from little Buck Shaw may not be adorned with all the bells and whistles of Galaxy-Sounders, but it’s probably the night’s best offer overall.
A full match preview is here.
- Manchester United’s two-goal hero Wayne Rooney hails “deserved win.” Should he stay up front? 0
- Manchester United 2-0 Sunderland: Rooney nets double to seal easy win 0
- Newcastle United 1-0 Aston Villa: Cisse’s goal keeps Sherwood’s Villans in the drop zone 0
- West Ham United 1-3 Crystal Palace: Eagles win fiery London derby 1
- Watch Live: Manchester United vs. Sunderland (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- WATCH: Premier League live online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 27 0