May 3, 2012, 7:34 PM EDT
How’s that song go? What the world needs now is… another American owner?
Bill Miller is Ranger’ savior. The American businessman looks ready to take over the Glasgow team, a club that is struggling financially and was placed into administration in February.
He’s ready for the challenge. Or, at least, he’s saying the right things.
“What Rangers, which includes supporters, players, staff and anyone with the club at heart, have been put through, particularly in recent months, is a travesty and from what I can see they have been badly let down by a number of individuals,” the tow truck tycoon told reporters. “This will not happen on my watch should I become the custodian of this great club.”
The Blue Knights, the Rangers supporters groups who had been attempting to purchase the team, was surprised by the administrator’s decision to favor the American. If Miller does purchase the Scottish club, he’ll be the first man or woman from the United States to own Rangers or their rivals, Celtic.
While Rangers are now as “Americanized” as Roma, they do feature Alejandro Bedoya, Carlos Bocanegra, and Maurice Edu. In that light, it’s understandable why the supporters’ group would be concerned about the addition of an American owner. But anything is better than bankruptcy.
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 1
- MLS Preview: Houston Dynamo at Montréal Impact 0
- USA can theoretically clinch a World Cup berth in their next match 3
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team 25
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (25)
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public