May 3, 2012, 12:54 AM EDT
Man of the Match: With goals Nos. 9 and 10, Chris Wondolowski reassumed Major League Soccer’s goal leadership. That’s through just nine games, barely over a quarter of the way through 2012, and that’s quite a strike rate. His second Wednesday was a clean finish on a header; nine of 19 this year for the Western leaders came off a ‘Quakes noggin.
Packaged for take-away:
- Steven Lenhart had a pair as well, Wednesday, adding up to five this year. That matches last year’s goal total and leaves the curly-headed one just a goal shy of a career high (6 goals in 27 matches for Columbus in 2010.)
- Credit both coaches and clubs for leaning into the goal-scoring efforts; no cagey, tactical chess match for this one. Both clubs poured on the attack and the result was a highlight reel disguised as a soccer game … and it was a hoot.
- Like a few other matches this year, Marvin Chavez won’t show up on the score sheet as much as some others, but his contributions were immense, easily Man of the Match-stuff as well. Even though he plays out wide in San Jose’s midfield, the speedy right-sided man finds a way to insert himself busily into so darn many offensive sequences. His active work on defense is every bit as important.
- Perfect “for instance:” Chavez won’t get an official assist for the ‘Quakes’ fifth Wednsday, but it was pretty much his goal. Chavez created just enough space for himself to squeeze off a well-aimed left-footed shot, which careened down off the crossbar and bounced in off Lenhart, who got credit for the goal.
- Ben Olsen had hoped to solve his team’s back line injury crisis by moving Perry Kitchen (with plenty of experience in the rear guard) back into central defense. But the bottom line, it seems, is that D.C. United’s defense this year will not be the same when center back Emiliano Dudar isn’t around. They were certainly in over their heads in this one.
- Marcelo Saragosa replaced Kitchen as holding midfielder, but the veteran Brazilian doesn’t have Kitchen’s range or distribution ability.
- Speaking of midfield distribution, does anyone remember a better passer or possession specialist at Buck Shaw than Tressor Moreno? Perhaps it was Geovanni during his rather short 2010 stay?
- A 35th-minute shot-save combo was as good as any you’ll see in MLS this year. Dwayne De Rosario’s wonderful bicycle kick was heading into goal — but Jon Busch pulled off something special with his one-handed, acrobatic stop. Good stuff, all the way around.
- De Rosario did push one past Busch, scoring a beauty on a night full of them in MLS. That was No. 95, so D.C.’s brilliant playmaker is five goals away from becoming Major League Soccer’s newest member of the 100-career goal club.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
Sturridge and Ibe step to the mic and hold their own.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:24 PM EDT
In team news, van Gaal has decided to go with his fabled 3-5-2.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
In a startling revelation, AS has revealed that Radamel Falcao has begun following three Real Madrid players on Instagram.
Jul 29, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT
Big day for headlines coming out of Southampton but this one looks to be quite promising for Saints fans.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Twenty-seven years after his first stint with Gremio, Luis Felipe Scolari is returning to the Brazilian side as its new manager.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Krkic, who made the $6.7 million move from Barcelona last week, scored a cracker of a first goal for Stoke City.
Jul 29, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Tevez’s family was then phoned and told to deliver a ransom of $5,000 (40,000 pesos).
Jul 29, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
“Every penny of that will be up for reinvestment as transfer fees and wages,” Krueger said.
Jul 29, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Where, exactly, Ronaldinho’s future ends up is anyone’s guess.
Jul 29, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
ICC and MLS action is in full swing in the USA this week. Watch it all online, here.
Jul 29, 2014, 2:57 PM EDT
Jacobson arrives in the Big Apple from Dallas. Will Aquilani join him?
Jul 29, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Now Schneiderlin wants out as Saints’ incredible exodus continues to take a turn for the worst.
Jul 29, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
Despite not winning any silverware last season, Barcelona were big winners off the pitch.
Jul 29, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
Tevez’s father, Juan Carlos Cabral, is said to have been kidnapped in Buenos Aires and held for ransom.
Jul 29, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Southampton duo are going nowhere, despite being linked with Tottenham switch.
Jul 29, 2014, 12:37 PM EDT
Liverpool sign talented Belgian teenager, will loan him back to Lille this season.
Jul 29, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
Even after calling African players “banana eaters” this man is set lead the Italian FA.
Jul 29, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
England star commits his future to the Toffees.
Jul 29, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Valencia finally signs on, as Hammers splash the cash in search of goals.
Jul 29, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
Garber: “MLS will not expand to Miami unless we have a downtown site for the stadium.”
- Watch Live: Manchester United vs. Inter Milan (Lineups and Discuss) 0
- Liverpool complete $17 million signing of Belgian striker Divock Origi 1
- Tim Howard joins NBC Sports’ Premier League broadcast team on multi-year deal 11
- VIDEO: US stars fight – Omar Gonzalez vs. Clint Dempsey, DeAndre Yedlin 6
- Manchester United’s Luke Shaw trains on his own, told he’s “not fit enough” 2
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 LA Galaxy 3