May 3, 2012, 12:54 AM EDT
Man of the Match: With goals Nos. 9 and 10, Chris Wondolowski reassumed Major League Soccer’s goal leadership. That’s through just nine games, barely over a quarter of the way through 2012, and that’s quite a strike rate. His second Wednesday was a clean finish on a header; nine of 19 this year for the Western leaders came off a ‘Quakes noggin.
Packaged for take-away:
- Steven Lenhart had a pair as well, Wednesday, adding up to five this year. That matches last year’s goal total and leaves the curly-headed one just a goal shy of a career high (6 goals in 27 matches for Columbus in 2010.)
- Credit both coaches and clubs for leaning into the goal-scoring efforts; no cagey, tactical chess match for this one. Both clubs poured on the attack and the result was a highlight reel disguised as a soccer game … and it was a hoot.
- Like a few other matches this year, Marvin Chavez won’t show up on the score sheet as much as some others, but his contributions were immense, easily Man of the Match-stuff as well. Even though he plays out wide in San Jose’s midfield, the speedy right-sided man finds a way to insert himself busily into so darn many offensive sequences. His active work on defense is every bit as important.
- Perfect “for instance:” Chavez won’t get an official assist for the ‘Quakes’ fifth Wednsday, but it was pretty much his goal. Chavez created just enough space for himself to squeeze off a well-aimed left-footed shot, which careened down off the crossbar and bounced in off Lenhart, who got credit for the goal.
- Ben Olsen had hoped to solve his team’s back line injury crisis by moving Perry Kitchen (with plenty of experience in the rear guard) back into central defense. But the bottom line, it seems, is that D.C. United’s defense this year will not be the same when center back Emiliano Dudar isn’t around. They were certainly in over their heads in this one.
- Marcelo Saragosa replaced Kitchen as holding midfielder, but the veteran Brazilian doesn’t have Kitchen’s range or distribution ability.
- Speaking of midfield distribution, does anyone remember a better passer or possession specialist at Buck Shaw than Tressor Moreno? Perhaps it was Geovanni during his rather short 2010 stay?
- A 35th-minute shot-save combo was as good as any you’ll see in MLS this year. Dwayne De Rosario’s wonderful bicycle kick was heading into goal — but Jon Busch pulled off something special with his one-handed, acrobatic stop. Good stuff, all the way around.
- De Rosario did push one past Busch, scoring a beauty on a night full of them in MLS. That was No. 95, so D.C.’s brilliant playmaker is five goals away from becoming Major League Soccer’s newest member of the 100-career goal club.
Aug 22, 2014, 9:12 PM EDT
List of things Cristiano Ronaldo can’t do: Throw a proper punch.
Aug 22, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
Dallas is undefeated since May, while RSL has a chance to temporarily move clear atop the Western Conference.
Aug 22, 2014, 7:17 PM EDT
Dallas versus Real Salt Lake, Sporting hosting D.C. see the conferences’ best go head-to-head.
Aug 22, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
Early Mandzukic goal gives Atlético its fifth trophy under Simeone.
Aug 22, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
Toffees and Gunners clash, Liverpool head to Man City, London derby time and much more.
Aug 22, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT
Goal, assist from Dutch star helped deliver Bayern three points to open the Bundesliga season.
Aug 22, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Can Villa continue their good start to the season? Watch live, Saturday 7:45 a.m. ET on NBCSN.
Aug 22, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT
Birmingham City, 1860 Munich, Millwall, Nurnberg… it seems Brek Shea is a man in demand when it comes to his loan from Stoke City.
Aug 22, 2014, 2:48 PM EDT
The Bavarians added Robert Lewandowski, and look poised to lead again. Who are the favorites to emerge in the race for second?
Aug 22, 2014, 2:29 PM EDT
Matchweek 2 brings a few killer games including Everton v. Arsenal on Saturday and Manchester City v. Liverpool on Monday.
Aug 22, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
From the early days in Italy, to the craziness of Man City and then back to AC Milan, here’s the timeline of Balotelli’s life so far.
Aug 22, 2014, 2:03 PM EDT
The 19-year-old American attacker’s only senior appearance for Bayern was a Champions League sub. That could change today.
Aug 22, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
Probably not, but with Sevilla and Barcelona strengthening while Atletico deals with roster tumult, look for some changes near the top.
Aug 22, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
PSV Eindhoven called the police, upping the ante on the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.
Aug 22, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
Where and how to watch every single PL game in Week 2, right here.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT
A young Brazilian is the newest name linked with Louis van Gaal, while Manchester City could be selling a top young defender
Aug 22, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
Jones wants to head to Chicago, and wants more money if he goes to New England.
Aug 22, 2014, 10:08 AM EDT
Nantes is off to another strong start, and Ale Bedoya’s club now stares down a match-up with Monaco.
Aug 22, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
Labeling vile statements in text messages “friendly banter” has Cardiff in a frenzy, and looking for fresh consequences.
Aug 22, 2014, 8:50 AM EDT
Arseanl boss calls Everton an important test while praising Liverpool’s impending acquisition.
- WATCH LIVE: FC Dallas and Real Salt Lake kick off MLS weekend 0
- MLS Weekend Preview: Trio of marque marquee matches begins Friday in Frisco 0
- Early Mandzukic goal sees Atlético defeat Real Madrid, claim Spanish Super Cup 1
- Robben dominance, Malanda miss give Bayern opening match win over Wolfsburg 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: United to get it right, Arsenal to stumble 2
- Profile: The life and times of Mario Balotelli 0