May 3, 2012, 11:01 AM EDT
There are so many good things to say about Fredy Montero’s lovely strike Wednesday against a reeling Galaxy side. And most have already been said. The goal was cold wack fo shizzle – a goal so sweet that it makes people like me puts words and letters on screen that I barely understand.
But, uh … we also need to say this:
What black hole in the Seattle night did the Galaxy defense fall into? Oh, my.
If you haven’t seen Montero’s killer lash past all things Galaxy, watch it here.
Or watch this very similar goal from the very same man inside the very same stadium three years ago – otherwise known as the moment most MLS players, coaches and clubs understood Montero’s ability to score from these distances. (And the moment they presumably scribbled mad notes, along the lines of “close space quickly on Montero! That young man will shoot from anywhere!”)
Yes, that was the moment. Montero can and will shoot from 35 yards, and he can do so with sure menace. So why in the world would the Galaxy back off and give the Sounders’ striker so much space and opportunity?
He’s hit other goals from long range since then. Of course, this wasn’t the only time Wednesday when the Galaxy defense went to slumber land. Mauro Rosales had enough time to do his taxes while he lined up the pinpoint service that led to Seattle’s first goal.
Watch it here and you’ll see what I mean. When coaches talk about immediate pressure on the ball, this is not what they mean.
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers 4
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 7
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 24
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (24)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- LIVE: Pacers aim to even series with Heat
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million