May 3, 2012, 7:00 AM EDT
What we’re thinking, what we’re watching, what’s coming on the blog today and the RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day). Setting up your day in soccer …
Big Important Story of the Day: Remember how everyone said Monday’s Manchester derby was for the Premiership pot of gold? Well, it was … mostly. There’s still some important business ahead as City preps for its second huge clash in seven days, this weekend at Newcastle. Lose this one and Monday’s achievement may be rendered sadly worthless.
What you should watch on TV: Playoffs to get into England’s top tier may not have the grace or grandeur of EPL contests, but talk about a place where pressure meets heartfelt desire! Cardiff faces West Ham in an English Championship semifinal first leg. Kickoff is 2:45 p.m. ET on FOX Soccer Plus or FOX Soccer 2Go.
Ahead on the blog today*: The MLS Panic Quotient (held for a day due to a legal issues; this thing gets more contentious than you might expect), and a commentary on why Roy Hodgson faces an impossible slog ahead in his new job as England boss.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Esse Baharmast
Twitter daps: New England Revolution midfielder Shalrie Joseph ( @ShalrieJoseph21) on his team’s win Wednesday over Colorado: “Not the prettiest game to watch but we got the win. Thxs for the support revs fan tnite. We appreciate each n everyone of u.”
PST background noise while blogging today: Most recent two episodes of the The Killing … but somebody had better solve this thing soon, or I’m out.
We’ll leave you with this: Dear anyone who produces or directs an MLS game on TV: If you continue to show replays while the ball is moving, you and I will have words. Very strong words.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is
Jun 19, 2013, 2:00 AM EDT
Feel free to ask yourself at this point: where would the United States be in World Cup qualifying without its young, in-form striker:
Jun 18, 2013, 11:54 PM EDT
Jozy Altidore was the hero for the United States, cooly slotting a left-footed shot to hand the Stars & Stripes a 1-0 victory over Honduras.
Jun 18, 2013, 8:33 PM EDT
The LA Galaxy coach has taken aging players and made them useful parts of the roster before:
Jun 18, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT
Everyone loves “The Pope”
Jun 18, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Our weekly re-ordering of Major League Soccer teams, following 16 rounds of play:
Jun 18, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
Some of the best U.S. success in the past has come when the United States was backed into a corner. Tonight looks much different:
Jun 18, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
There are a few choices to be made ahead of Tuesday’s match in Utah:
Jun 18, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Unsaid in this narrative is this: most U.S. sites are bright and alive these days.
Jun 18, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT
Stuart Pearce has been relieved of his duties as manager of England’s U-21 squad.
Jun 18, 2013, 9:34 AM EDT
Australia join Brazil and Japan as nations that already have booked their place in next summer’s World Cup.
Jun 18, 2013, 7:56 AM EDT
Hearts have put the entire squad up for sale to raise the reported £500,000 needed to get the club to the start of the season.
Jun 18, 2013, 12:10 AM EDT
Brazil has infrastructure concerns. They’ve also spent $3.3 billion on soccer stadia. No surprise, people aren’t happy.
Jun 17, 2013, 10:43 PM EDT
The mythology of Ajax, Dutch soccer and one stars’ struggles outside the Dutch league make this potential transfer difficult to evaluate.
Jun 17, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT
It’s only a matter of time before Ancelotti’s holding pattern’s resolved.
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public