May 4, 2012, 12:12 PM EDT
This news of a potential new ground for Chelsea FC is very personal to me.
For several years now my buddy’s place, which is literally across the street from Battersea Power Station, has served as London base of operations for an annual trip, where myself and a few fellow soccer nerds jam-pack as many matches as humanly possible into a 4- or 5-day period.
My friend’s kitchen window looks out over the historic, disused monstrosity, which may soon be Chelsea FC’s historic, disused monstrosity, and may soon be the site of Stamford Bridge’s replacement.
Also on a personal level, I’d like to know about the small gastro-pub just behind the historic site, about whether a certain, stunningly lovely Canadian remains on duty there?
Ahem. Let’s move on.
On a non-personal level, here are the important things to know about Friday’s big talker out of London:
- Chelsea FC needs a new ground. Stamford Bridge, in haughty West London, is a fine ground. But at about 42,000, the capacity can’t match the larger, current standard bearers like Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium or Manchester United’s Old Trafford.
- Battersea Power Station, which went on the market in February, is a historic landmark, so there are important implications well beyond sports to consider in all this.
- Chelsea officials would like to include some of the original design elements, such as the signature foursome of smokestacks, into the facility design.
- Officials at Stamford Bridge say a new facility has potential to become one of the “most iconic football stadiums in the world.”
- Also in the club’s announcement Friday: “We must also stress that making an offer for the Battersea Power Station site does not mean the club has made a definitive decision to leave Stamford Bridge.”
- The club’s official announcement is here.
Oh, and this … Battersea Power Station is the image on Pink Floyd’s Animals album. The notorious photo shoot involved an inflatable pink pig. I am absolutely not making any of this up.
May 28, 2015, 11:13 PM EDT
The U-20 World Cup kicks off late Thursday night (US time). Get yourself caught up on what — and who — to watch.
May 28, 2015, 8:52 PM EDT
Landing Ancelotti would be the best thing AC Milan have done in years.
May 28, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Sunil Gulati is putting his not only talking the talk, but walking the walk, with regard to much-needed reform in world soccer.
May 28, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT
Bob Ley joins the Men in Blazers to talk about the FIFA arrests and decades of corruption inside world football’s governing body.
May 28, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
With the 2014-15 season in the books, clubs are already busy making moves for next season. Where should each club focus their efforts (and $$$)?
May 28, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
Going over the highs and lows, the surprises and disappointments, plus much more from the PL season that was, here’s the latest PST Extra.
May 28, 2015, 2:33 PM EDT
Remember these 10 matches from the 2014-15 season? Here’s highlights from them all.
May 28, 2015, 1:35 PM EDT
Burnley and Chelsea will find their names often amongst the top stat men in the Premier League this season.
May 28, 2015, 12:57 PM EDT
Liverpool legend will be heading to California soon, says Bruce Arena.
May 28, 2015, 12:08 PM EDT
FIFA’s long-time president has addressed the congress in Zurich about the shocking allegations of corruption.
May 28, 2015, 11:25 AM EDT
UEFA to discuss possibility of walking away from FIFA in Berlin next month.
May 28, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT
UEFA’s chief pleads with Blatter to walk away as world soccer’s governing body is in ruins.
May 28, 2015, 9:31 AM EDT
PHOTOS & VIDEO: Women’s players are available in the FIFA video game series for the first time.
May 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Former Valencia, Liverpool boss has called time in Naples as his hometown is calling.
May 28, 2015, 7:51 AM EDT
The Russian president finds it “odd” that the FBI is chasing down FIFA officials…
May 28, 2015, 12:53 AM EDT
Juninho’s early PK is all the Galaxy need, as they climb to 4th in the Western Conference. RSL, meanwhile, are on the outside looking in.
May 28, 2015, 12:43 AM EDT
17 MLS teams will entire this year’s US Open Cup in the 4th round. On Wednesday, they learned who they’ll face.
May 28, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
Wins in May don’t get much more “must-win” than this one. PDX tops the East’s top team.
May 27, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
According to his agent, Balotelli is going nowhere this summer. He’ll stay and fight for his place next season.
May 27, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
11 current and former officials from around the world have been provisionally banned from all football-related activities.
- U-20 World Cup preview: The groups, the favorites, USA outlook and the game’s future stars 0
- Gulati: U.S. Soccer will vote for Prince Ali bin Al-Hussein in FIFA election, not Sepp Blatter 3
- 2014-15 Premier League season review: Summer transfer needs 2
- Premier League 2014-15 review – Top 10 games of the season 3
- By the numbers: 2014-15 Premier League season in review 1
- Sepp Blatter transcript in full; admits “shame and humiliation” of FIFA scandal 4