May 4, 2012, 12:12 PM EDT
This news of a potential new ground for Chelsea FC is very personal to me.
For several years now my buddy’s place, which is literally across the street from Battersea Power Station, has served as London base of operations for an annual trip, where myself and a few fellow soccer nerds jam-pack as many matches as humanly possible into a 4- or 5-day period.
My friend’s kitchen window looks out over the historic, disused monstrosity, which may soon be Chelsea FC’s historic, disused monstrosity, and may soon be the site of Stamford Bridge’s replacement.
Also on a personal level, I’d like to know about the small gastro-pub just behind the historic site, about whether a certain, stunningly lovely Canadian remains on duty there?
Ahem. Let’s move on.
On a non-personal level, here are the important things to know about Friday’s big talker out of London:
- Chelsea FC needs a new ground. Stamford Bridge, in haughty West London, is a fine ground. But at about 42,000, the capacity can’t match the larger, current standard bearers like Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium or Manchester United’s Old Trafford.
- Battersea Power Station, which went on the market in February, is a historic landmark, so there are important implications well beyond sports to consider in all this.
- Chelsea officials would like to include some of the original design elements, such as the signature foursome of smokestacks, into the facility design.
- Officials at Stamford Bridge say a new facility has potential to become one of the “most iconic football stadiums in the world.”
- Also in the club’s announcement Friday: “We must also stress that making an offer for the Battersea Power Station site does not mean the club has made a definitive decision to leave Stamford Bridge.”
- The club’s official announcement is here.
Oh, and this … Battersea Power Station is the image on Pink Floyd’s Animals album. The notorious photo shoot involved an inflatable pink pig. I am absolutely not making any of this up.
Aug 28, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
The Nerazzurri icon moves to the East Midlands after 10 years at the San Siro.
Aug 28, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
An arm to the back of Chad Marshall’s head earns the Timber’s center back a weekend off.
Aug 28, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
Columbus, Sporting, Vancouver connected with a possible return.
Aug 28, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
In 2010, a series of young Americans looked prime for breakthroughs. Their experience reminds up: Four years is a long way off.
Aug 28, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Our first Power Rankings of the 2014-15 season. What do you think?
Aug 28, 2014, 5:13 PM EDT
Rubio Rubin, Joe Gyau, and Emerson Hyndman are among the roster’s most-intriguing prospects for 2018.
Aug 28, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT
Jenna, JPW and Prindi break down Di Maria to United, Balotelli to Liverpool and Chelsea’s tough trip to Everton.
Aug 28, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT
A striker from Stanford could become the first collegian in the MLS era to play for the USA. Who is he?
Aug 28, 2014, 3:10 PM EDT
Four top teams in the hunt for Falcao. Will they cough up the cash for a loan deal?
Aug 28, 2014, 2:48 PM EDT
Klinsmann selects Stanford forward, several American youngsters based in Europe for Czech Republic clash.
Aug 28, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
Can Arsenal and Man City navigate tough UCL groups, again?
Aug 28, 2014, 1:13 PM EDT
Ronaldo named ‘best player in Europe’ for outstanding 2013-14 season.
Aug 28, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
The eight groups are set as the 2014-15 UEFA Champions League will kick off next month.
Aug 28, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
Louis van Gaal delighted, yet realistic, as Di Maria speaks for the first time as a United player.
Aug 28, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
All the latest gossip, right here.
Aug 28, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Galaxy win third-straight, go second in the West as Donovan continues to shine during elongated swansong.
Aug 28, 2014, 9:26 AM EDT
Chicharito on the move to Italy or Spain?
Aug 28, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
We continue our look at what each PL team needs to do in the final few days of the window.
Aug 28, 2014, 8:20 AM EDT
All the details you need to know, as the UCL group stage draw takes place on Thursday.
Aug 28, 2014, 7:54 AM EDT
England international reportedly chased by several PL clubs, as Spurs join the suitors.
- Lessons from 2010 say U.S. squad as much about opportunity, circumstances as youth 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Familiar faces jostle for the top spot – Week 1 2
- U.S. roster for Czech Republic: Quick look at some of the newer names 4
- Plenty of surprises in US national team roster for Czech Republic friendly 1
- Analysis: Arsenal, Manchester City handed tough Champions League draw 1
- Full draw: European giants collide as UEFA Champions League groups set 7