May 4, 2012, 2:50 PM EDT
Fulham manager Martin Jol isn’t giving up on keeping his high-scoring U.S. international, playing down links to Liverpool over the past couple of days in a piece just posted by The Independent.
“As you know we talked to him and hopefully he will sign a contract to keep him here for the next three years,” Jol told the newspaper: “If not, he’s still our player because there is no club that has made an approach for him. Of course it’s nice if they are positive about him.”
What Jol means is that Dempsey has a year remaining on his Fulham deal. If the club wants to reap any potential transfer money, it probably needs to sell Dempsey this summer.
Here’s the thing about a potential Dempsey move to Anfield:
There’s no denying that Liverpool is a bigger club with far deeper pockets and tons more decoration. Liverpool is among Europe’s more storied clubs. And those 18 league titles represent approximately 18 more than Fulham has earned.
But the here and now as it relates to Dempsey’s desire for Champions League soccer doesn’t have a thing to do with history.
With two rounds remaining, Fulham has exactly the same amount of points as Liverpool (both with 49). So how much closer will Dempsey actually be getting to that Champions League dream? Not much – not for a year, anyway.
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 9
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (17)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Landon Donovan and a Gold Cup squeeze? He deserves better (9)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement