May 5, 2012, 6:00 AM EDT
Chicago Fire rookie Austin Berry certainly had an eventful night. Berry found his way into the starting lineup through an injury to Cory Gibbs and suspension to Jalil Anibaba, so he was on the spot Friday evening against Chivas USA.
Berry was more on the spot after giving away an early penalty kick, which Juan Pablo Angel turned into his first goal of 2012 and, amazingly, into Chivas USA’s first home goal of 2012. That’s a full five games into the Goats’ home parade.
But Berry made amends, turning the equalizer skillfully past Chivas ‘keeper Dan Kennedy, thus arranging the stage for Marco Pappa’s late heroics.
We haven’t seen many of these Pappa magic moments in 2012, one reason the Fire was still hunting for its first quality win of the season.
So now Frank Klopas’ team has a quality win on the road (even if he was in luxury box as it happened, suspended from team areas himself.) Pappa’s late game-winner was the difference in a 2-1 Fire victory.
And Chivas USA? The Goats’ strange ways continue: Robin Fraser’s team is a hardy 3-1 on the road, but a stunning 0-5 at home.
Full match highlights are here:
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 1
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 9
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (17)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Landon Donovan and a Gold Cup squeeze? He deserves better (9)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games