May 6, 2012, 9:10 PM EDT
Man of the Match: Veteran midfielder Brian Mullan provided both assists on clean crosses from the right side, one in the air to Jaime Castrillon and one along the ground to Martin Rivero. Before the game broke down into a 11-on-9 oddity, Mullan was doing his part to keep the FC Dallas right side in check.
Packaged for take-away:
- Well, you don’t see this very often: Dallas was two men down in the 37th minute. The second half was something that resembled training ground stuff, almost entirely in Dallas’ end, with the home team reduced to an occasional 1 on 3 “break.”
- Interestingly, Dallas set up in two banks of four after intermission. So, the old 4-4-0 if you like.
- Final shot total: 23-1
- Daniel Hernandez was excused in the 35th minute for a second yellow. His first was thoughtless and totally unnecessary, for jawing at referee Mark Geiger. The second caution was wholly justified for an overly aggressive challenge near midfield.
- Two minutes later, Blas Perez was shown red for going into a challenge with Drew Moor with his cleats exposed. It wasn’t a good challenge, but it wasn’t an obvious red, more clumsy than menacing. So whether Geiger might have shown a little discretion, just two minutes after another expulsion the same team, could be asked.
- Both ejections could be argued as justified on their individual merits, but the referee’s relative inexperience played a part, too. The problem started when Geiger turned the temperature up in the match by refusing to call obvious, early fouls. For the set who like to scream at referees “Let ‘em play, referee!” … well, this is sometimes what happens when you “let ‘em play.” Tempers become frayed. By halftime Geiger had shown four yellows and two reds. And that’s why the men in the middle should call fouls when he or she sees them.
- Brek Shea was left out of FC Dallas’ lineup with a turf toe ailment.
- If you’re counting, that’s six FC Dallas midfielders on the injury shelf.
- It wasn’t all good for Colorado. Omar Cummings limped off after just 13 minutes, having gotten his foot caught in the turf. Early reports were of a left ankle sprain.
- Kevin Hartman keeps adding to his MLS record total of all-time saves. His first Sunday was No. 1,400. But he’ll have to wait for career win No. 175; Hartman remains one off that total.
- At the other end, Matt Pickens’ shutout is No. 26 in a Rapids shirt, which makes him the club’s all-time leader.
- Conor Casey entered at halftime as Oscar Pareja went into a 3-4-3 alignment. This was Casey’s most minutes in a year.
- Jeff Larentowicz was steady all night for Colorado, distributing from a deep midfield spot with a calm patience throughout the second half. That was the right way for the Rapids, who would have done themselves no favors putting a big rush on things. As it was, they finally broke down Dallas’ stacked defense, earning the three points for manager Oscar Pareja, who had spent so much time in Dallas as a player and assistant coach.
Jul 29, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
Garber: “MLS will not expand to Miami unless we have a downtown site for the stadium.”
Jul 29, 2014, 9:42 AM EDT
Howard to call games, be studio analyst, for up to 10 PL games on NBC Sports this season.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:19 AM EDT
A shoving match or something more sinister in Seattle?
Jul 29, 2014, 8:35 AM EDT
Borussia Dortmund star turns down new deal, alerts European giants.
Jul 29, 2014, 7:51 AM EDT
England youngster told he’s “not fit enough” and ordered to train on his own by van Gaal. Ouch.
Jul 29, 2014, 12:37 AM EDT
Sounders’ tendency to collapse resurfaces during the Galaxy’s biggest win of the season.
Jul 28, 2014, 11:07 PM EDT
A terrible move could get worse if Chelsea can’t move the Spanish striker.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Belgian international intends to stay at White Hart Lane, with a new, five-year deal on the table.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT
Napoli, Borussia Dortmund linked to the potential United castoffs.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:22 PM EDT
Colombian international expected to play Saturday against Valencia.
Jul 28, 2014, 7:37 PM EDT
Time in the NASL will give the 24-year-old needed minutes.
Jul 28, 2014, 6:48 PM EDT
Brazilian’s injury testing United’s depth on the right side.
Jul 28, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
U.S. international’s knee surgery will sideline him for “several weeks.”
Jul 28, 2014, 4:57 PM EDT
Two Saints look to follow their former manager to North London.
Jul 28, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Timber’s game-winning goal in Montréal separated him from a tight field.
Jul 28, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
After two on-pitch selfie’s occur with players over the weekend, security needs to be stepped up.
Jul 28, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Could Neymar represent Brazil at the 2016 Olympics in Rio?
Jul 28, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Besic, 21, has signed a five-year deal with the Toffees.
Jul 28, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT
Bale smashes in an absolute beauty from distance. Check it out, here.
Jul 28, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
After selling over $170 million of talent so far this summer, what are Saints playing at?
- Tim Howard joins NBC Sports’ Premier League broadcast team on multi-year deal 6
- VIDEO: US stars fight – Omar Gonzalez vs. Clint Dempsey, DeAndre Yedlin 3
- Manchester United’s Luke Shaw trains on his own, told he’s “not fit enough” 1
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 LA Galaxy 1
- Premier, Champions League quotas leave Mourinho desperate to sell Torres 4
- Van Gaal, Manchester United ready to move on from Fellaini, Kagawa 0