May 6, 2012, 8:45 AM EDT
Jozy Altidore says he’s fine to play today in his team’s big match, with playoff implications on the Dutch Eredivisie. (Yes, the Dutch league has playoffs; so what say all ye traditionalists who can’t stand playoffs in MLS?)
Whether he does play is up to the staff of course. But Altidore is ready for Sunday’s regular season finale as AZ Aklmaar hosts mid-table FC Groningen.
During an interview on Soccer Today (a show I co-host along with Marc Stein), Altidore said he never consciousness after the nasty spill last week into a hard structure along the sideline. He said there was a lot of pain and a back bruise, and admits that he needed some time to get his bearings, but sound like he’s up for it.
“I was definitely out of it for a second, but I didn’t lose consciousness. I was definitely awake, but it was a bit surreal for me,” he said.
In the 12-minute interview, Altidore said he’s loving his place in soccer and in life right now, enjoying the Netherlands scene and having that fantastic season, with 19 goals for AZ.
Altidore also explains the Dutch playoffs (for a Europa spot) and about a better form of pressure that he’s feeling this year.
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 1
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 9
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (17)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Landon Donovan and a Gold Cup squeeze? He deserves better (9)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games