May 6, 2012, 1:40 AM EDT
Man of the match: Andy Greunebaum had six saves (including two layouts on Rodney Wallace efforts) and was commanding coming off his line during a particularly tenuous stretch just shy of the 40-minute mark. He continues to be one of the Crew’s bright spots.
Packaged for takeaway:
- File this one under “For MLS diehards only”. Within the context of each team’s season, there were some interesting story lines playing out. As a stand alone game, Saturday’s offering wasn’t the ideal display of MLS’s product.
- John Spencer made a number of changes to the starting XI that lost in Montreal, with Jack Jewsbury moving to right back (as Steve Purdy recovers from a concussion). With Rodney Wallace, Frank Songo’o coming in to midfield while Futty Danso (returning to health) was slotted into central defense, the lineup had an experimental feel.
- Danso impressed on his return, combining with Mike Chabala to lock down the left side (not that Columbus was knocking). Eric Brunner, who dressed but did not play against his former club, may now be the odd man out.
- Jewsbury was strong when the play was in front of him, but he was obviously rusty positioning himself when not engaging a player in possession. Still, as a pseudo-emergency fill in, he acquitted himself well.
- One person not changed from last week was Troy Perkins, though he did play with a face mask protecting the nose laceration sufferd last week at the boot of Sanna Nyassi.
- But all notes about Portland’s defense come with a huge caveat. Although Columbus had an aberrational first half sequence that saw two balls cleared off the line, the Crew offered very little going forward. Emilio Renteria was a non-factor, as was his replacement, Justin Meram. There was no push from the midfield, and with Chad Marshall on the bench, Columbus had now threat from dead balls. Put it all together, and Troy Perkins was only credited with one save on the night.
- Against a Portland midfield that’s not exactly thought of as the league’s best, Columbus needed somebody to step up. Eddie Gaven, Tony Tchani, and Milovan Mirosevic were all pretty transparent, while Danny O’Rourke may as well have been a defender. There was nothing in this Crew side at said “this team can get the goal.”
- As the match wore on, a series of like-for-like substitutions implied both coaches felt their sides were going in the right direction. The only meaningful change saw Spencer debut Mike Fucito and drop Darlington Nagbe back to left midfield, though Portland’s approach stayed the same. It was as if neither team was aware wins are worth three, draws are worth one.
- While both struggling teams got a point, neither should be happy with the result.
- Portland was just drawn at home by one of the East’s struggling sides, and without Marshall in the lineup, they should have expected a better result.
- For the Crew, they failed to take advantage of a back line that made three changes from a week ago. Potentially worse, they never seemed too worried about it.
- Portland now gets a bye while Columbus returns home to face FC Dallas next weekend. Both teams have a lot of work to do before they’re ready to face the rest of the league again.
Aug 21, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
Despite being eligible to play for his country, Suarez left off Uruguay’s roster.
Aug 21, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
Khedira turns down new deal at Real. Will the Spaniards cash in on him now?
Aug 21, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Former Liverpool star could be heading to United as Real Madrid seek to trim squad.
Aug 21, 2014, 11:16 AM EDT
Spurs boss in dramatic U-turn on Europa League after previously dismissing tournament.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:46 AM EDT
Leiweke to leave MLSE, as leading sports executive calls it quits in Toronto.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
After trailing 3-1, LA came roaring back to win 4-3 as Donovan bagged the winner.
Aug 21, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
Di Maria wants out of Real, will Manchester United be able to pounce for his signature?
Aug 21, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT
Moody, pictured center, has resigned from his role at Palace following damaging allegations.
Aug 21, 2014, 8:20 AM EDT
Liverpool, AC Milan agree Balotelli transfer as player, agent set to arrive at Anfield.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT
Monster moves rumored. Check out all the latest gossip, right here.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
Both Ronaldo and Ramos have gone to Madrid president Florentino Perez to ask him to keep Di Maria.
Aug 20, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT
Sunderland manager Gus Poyet believes United States striker Jozy Altidore is the happiest he has ever seen him.
Malky Mackay and Iain Moody investigated by FA for ‘sexist, racist and homophobic’ text messages while at Cardiff City
Aug 20, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
Malky Mackay has been reported to the Football Association for being involved in a series of racist, sexist and homophobic text messages.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
If Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher showed up to your training to sign autographs, what would you ask him?
Aug 20, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Arteta’s status means that Jack Wilshere and Mathieu Flamini will be the holding midfield partnership against the Turks.
Aug 20, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
Champions League play-offs continued on Wednesday with a series of tight contests headlined by a 1-0 victory for FC Porto at Lyon.
Aug 20, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT
Could Mario Balotelli be Liverpool’s answer to replace Luis Suarez?
Aug 20, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
Malky Mackay can’t escape Vincent Tan after Cardiff owner files report with FA that prompts Palace to withdraw managerial offer.
Aug 20, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
Will Cristiano Ronaldo’s back injury prevent him from playing the second leg of the Spanish Super Cup?
Aug 20, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
Liverpool fans can finally kiss goodbye that Warrior label but will that improve the designs?
- Report: Xabi Alonso heading to Manchester United 5
- Angel Di Maria wants to leave Real Madrid, rejects new contract 0
- Mario Balotelli edging closer to shock $26 million Liverpool switch 11
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Tiote to Arsenal, Destro to Chelsea 0
- Angel Di Maria gets love from Ronaldo, Sergio Ramos and Diego Simeone 2
- Jozy Altidore is the happiest he’s ever been, says Gus Poyet 3