May 7, 2012, 8:12 AM EDT
Just a few weeks ago, Clint Dempsey wasn’t known as a free kick taker. He could hit them, of course, but Dempsey over a dead ball wasn’t Dempsey at his best.
But, like everything else around the U.S. international’s game, this is a different time. His bag of soccer tricks has expanded and pretty much everything he does now is sprinkled with magic unicorn dust.
A few weeks ago Dempsey hit a wonderful free kick goal against Bolton. That was back on April 7. (In fact, a Dempsey double that day at the Reebok Stadium halted a three-game winning run in league play for Bolton. The Wanderers have pretty much hit the skids since then, with just one win in six matches. Which is why things look so bleak in the relegation fight for Bolton, a team that includes Americans Tim Ream and Stuart Holden.)
Back to Dempsey: Now he’s starting to score regularly off free kicks.
Yesterday, his milepost 50th goal in league play came off a free kick, another beauty, this one in a 2-1 win over Sunderland.
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 1
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 9
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (17)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Landon Donovan and a Gold Cup squeeze? He deserves better (9)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games